HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:29 PM
Just Me
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Apr 2006
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy841 View Post
Hi,
I read about your helioplane plans in a 2009 thread. This brought back memories of building as a kid. My grandparents bought me the Berkeley kit when I was 9 and I put it together with horsehide glue cooked on my grandmothers kitchen stove. No sanding, no covering and little carving, but the parts were all there. In spite of being a craft horror, I won 3rd prize in the Greenfield fair in Mass. Has anyone from your blog constructed one of these.

Great stuff about your grandsons glider. A short time after the helio, an article came out in one of the mags (probably MAN) about a HL glider that looked like a blackbird. I built that and it didn't fly extremely well (probably because of the weight) but if you could find the plans your grandson would really like that. You could no doubt make it fly well.
Andy
Andy,

I too built that HL Blackbird when it came out in MAN in '58. Didn't fly too good or maybe the pilot wasn't the best...lol Ended up hanging it from the ceiling in the local hobby shop in Juneau where I was stationed....

I did find the article and did a quick PDF to make it easier to re-create...enjoy!

Don
Brner is online now Find More Posts by Brner
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2014, 03:57 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brner View Post
Andy,

I too built that HL Blackbird when it came out in MAN in '58. Didn't fly too good or maybe the pilot wasn't the best...lol Ended up hanging it from the ceiling in the local hobby shop in Juneau where I was stationed....

I did find the article and did a quick PDF to make it easier to re-create...enjoy!

Don
Have to agree with the others. Mine was very hard to adjust too. Maybe painting it to look like a blackbird just made it too heavy.

Pete J
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Aug 17, 2014, 04:05 PM
irvine, ca
Joined Apr 2002
257 Posts
I wrote the attached article describing the classes and the FAI for the local R/C club newsletter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
If y ou start digging, there are a whole lot of classes, defined by different groups of people. For instance, in free flight towline gliders, there used to be A1 and A2 (and even A3 sometimes!!) based on wing area, I think, with minimum weight. The FAI now has F1H and F1A.
You can find FAI rules here:
http://www.fai.org/fai-documents
Click on the aeromodelling link and you'll get a number of documents to look at. An FAI RC event that I fly is F3K, also known as DLG or even HLG. That is, discus launch or hand launch gliders. Limited to 1.5 meters, with a few other rules as well, such as, if I recall, no gyros allowed.

Of course there are many local and national sets of rules too, as well as from organizations like Flying Aces and SAM. All of them define different classes of models. I don't know much about SAM, but the Flying Aces rules are here: http://flyingacesclub.com/FACrules3.html

The AMA's rules are here:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/events/compreg.aspx
The AMA is a national group in the USA, unless I haven't been paying attention, but if you're looking at US models, it may help clarify the classes. Note that these rules cover free flight, RC, and control line.

Another event is Coupe d'Hiver, which I think now has an FAI class corresponding to it.:
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/ff_ou_cdhiver.htm

If I'm not mistaken, the premier outdoor rubber powered event is usually known as Wakefield:
http://www.fai.org/f1-free-flight/wa...ernational-cup

A very popular rubber powered event is P-30, which you can find in the AMA's rules.

That should keep you busy for a while!
jrs_123 is offline Find More Posts by jrs_123
Old Aug 17, 2014, 04:25 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,380 Posts
Quote:
Andy,

Don
Maybe a good candidate for a rubber band catapult launcher?

giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Aug 17, 2014, 04:36 PM
Just Me
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Apr 2006
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
Maybe a good candidate for a rubber band catapult launcher?

lol...could be or maybe a jetex50 in the rump.....
Last edited by Brner; Aug 17, 2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 01:02 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
I've been hoping to come across the Blackbird HLG for a lot of years. When I moved into an apartment with a new wife in 1970, I had to get stuff out of my dad's house. Since I didn't have room for a lot of my stuff, I dumped about 8 boxes of model magazines, a number of model engines, including an O. K. Cub CO-2 with a split capillary tube, an Arden .099 glow with severe corrosion of the suspected magnesium case, a couple each of Cub .14 and .19 eardrum busters, several Enya and McCoy engines that never seemed to run well, and another station wagon full of model items. The MAN issue with that plan was one I had hoped to buid. I had already built several of the FM Balsaurus' that flew moderately well, but overweight.
Wish I had most of that stuff back.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Aug 18, 2014, 01:05 AM
Andy841
United States, MA, Sturbridge
Joined Mar 2012
84 Posts
black bird

Quote:
Andy,

Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J_Glor View Post
Have to agree with the others. Mine was very hard to adjust too. Maybe painting it to look like a blackbird just made it too heavy.

Pete J
Yes I seem to remember about 3 coats of colored aerogloss (or Testors) over the sanding sealer. That would do it. But it looked good. LOL. Thanks for the plan Don.
ANG
Andy841 is offline Find More Posts by Andy841
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:04 PM
Just Me
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Apr 2006
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50+AirYears View Post
I've been hoping to come across the Blackbird HLG for a lot of years..........
I also had been looking for the plan for a couple of years back about 5-6 years ago. I knew it was in MAN 1958 but didn't know the month. Came across a set of '58 MAN's on Ebay one day. They sold but I didn't get them so I contacted the seller, a very nice lady in Canada. I told her I was trying to identify the particular issue the plan was in. It was a long shot but I asked her if she knew if that plan was in one of the mags she just sold. She told me they hadn't shipped yet and she would check. She found the article/plan, scanned it and then emailed the scanned .jpg copies I posted. I offered to pay her but she said no, just pass it on....guess I've done that.... Nice to run into people like that......
Old Aug 19, 2014, 04:52 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,229 Posts
KK Scorpion

A great scan of the original kit plan for the Keil Kraft Scorpion at 44in has just turned up, thanks to stormin - this is a lovely old plan. Does anyone out there have more files to go with this? Any scanned printwood, decals, or maybe the kit instructions?

Would be nice to see a few Scorpions in the air. I love the look of this design.
WMD is offline Find More Posts by WMD
Old Aug 19, 2014, 09:43 AM
Andy841
United States, MA, Sturbridge
Joined Mar 2012
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs_123 View Post
I wrote the attached article describing the classes and the FAI for the local R/C club newsletter.
Hi
One category I don't see listed is free flight pay load.
Back in the 50s I built a plane called a Payee.(Berkelley)
It was a 52 in wingspan with a polyhedral wing on a pylon and looked like a regular contest free flight except that it had a cavity for weights.
It was designed to ROG on its single front wheel with various weights and the plane that could carry the heaviest load won. (OK Cub .049 power)
I was about 12 at the time and added a 2 oz tank instead of an eyedropper and the plane was never seen again.
An older boy I new actually had one of these and competed with it.
ANG
Andy841 is offline Find More Posts by Andy841
Old Aug 20, 2014, 07:26 AM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy841 View Post
Hi
One category I don't see listed is free flight pay load.
Back in the 50s I built a plane called a Payee.(Berkelley)
Seek and ye shall find...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post19941817
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
Old Aug 20, 2014, 01:19 PM
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2012
1,283 Posts
Fast Miler MAN -Feb 1958

Enjoy
Old_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Old_Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doppelpfeil Maiden
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:23 PM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
United States, TX, Sweetwater
Joined Mar 2005
1,616 Posts
Which one of you fine gentlemen have the capability to reproduce a plan in a larger scale, without the lines being huge and blurry?

Holler!
challenger_i is offline Find More Posts by challenger_i
Old Aug 24, 2014, 08:43 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,235 Posts
It is extremely easy to enlarge or reduce a plan with Photoshop or CorelDraw and it won't degrade the quality as long as the original is at least 300dpi. Send the plan to me to
edubarca1946@gmail.com and I'll do it for you.
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:10 PM
United States, MO, Stockton
Joined Oct 2013
709 Posts
question

I've been keeping an eye on this thread for a while, and enjoy the sharing of plans articles and ideas, my question is would it be possible for us to start another thread exclusive for the rcm plans there was an issue before here so here is where I ask the question is there any objection or maybe, the people in charge of the website can contact me sam
slam555 is offline Find More Posts by slam555