HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 22, 2010, 03:57 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP n Texas View Post
I guess I didn't know tip stalling was the wing tips. Duh!
I am meaning more of porpoising. The nose rises and then the plane stalls and it noses down.
I can cut power on the T-Hawk and it just stays stable with all but zero air speed. A lot of lift but no nosing down diving unless I reallly try and force it up with no power.
The SS rises it's noise and the falls. I have tried trimming it down a bit but it doesn't seem to help much.
So I need to keep my air speed up and or adjust my CG?
Remove the washers in the front of the plane and rebalance it for 72mm CG. Poof. Problem solved.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2010, 04:15 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypopa View Post
AJ. In a few posts back you say that the SS is 'EPP' But earlier you said Elpour as the EZ*. As you have an EPP 'Superfly' you would know the difference.
Please confirm.
As I said earlier. "I am out" it would cost too much from BH. There are other ways maybe to get one or three?
Actually, I don't believe I ever said it was Elapor. That name and whatever it is made of is reserved for Multiplex planes. I did say it was EPO (like the EZ*-I meant similar). But, after getting the kit, somewhere along the line I said it was EPP as advertised on the site. Well, in the final analysis, I believe it is EPP. The texture and composition of the foam between the SkyS and the super-fly are very, very different. But, I believe that Tram uses a hot-wire (not sure). The SkyS very definitely uses a mold method and therefore a lot smoother finish than the SF So, for right now, I am going to go with the SkyS as being EPP (as advertised on the site). As always, I reserve the right to be wrong. EPO and EPP are very difficult for me to tell apart. As always, I reserve the right to be wrong in any or all of this. My knowledge of foam is not good. I have always treated EPO and Elapor as being the same thing. HERE is what I always use for a brief reference. It is written by NoFlyZone (Chuck) and IMO, he is very knowledgeable and a valued friend. If anyone wants to jump in and enlighten me, I encourage you to do so.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 04:46 AM
Me a long time ago
Flypoppa's Avatar
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Actually, I don't believe I ever said it was Elapor. That name and whatever it is made of is reserved for Multiplex planes. I did say it was EPO (like the EZ*-I meant similar). But, after getting the kit, somewhere along the line I said it was EPP as advertised on the site. Well, in the final analysis, I believe it is EPP. The texture and composition of the foam between the SkyS and the super-fly are very, very different. But, I believe that Tram uses a hot-wire (not sure). The SkyS very definitely uses a mold method and therefore a lot smoother finish than the SF So, for right now, I am going to go with the SkyS as being EPP (as advertised on the site). As always, I reserve the right to be wrong. EPO and EPP are very difficult for me to tell apart. As always, I reserve the right to be wrong in any or all of this. My knowledge of foam is not good. I have always treated EPO and Elapor as being the same thing. HERE is what I always use for a brief reference. It is written by NoFlyZone (Chuck) and IMO, he is very knowledgeable and a valued friend. If anyone wants to jump in and enlighten me, I encourage you to do so.
AJ
I also get my foams confused and mixed up. Now reading Chucks post does explain a lot. Thanks AJ.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2010, 07:47 AM
Circa:1946
Riverratss's Avatar
Joined Jun 2008
151 Posts
Shipping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypopa View Post
I got a reply from BH about the cost of post to the UK, approx $65. So with the cost of a SS that would make it $110... For me I am out. As I can get an EZ* for half that price here in the UK.
It's $17.90 US UPS ground to this East Coast of USA. I think that is a little steep also!!

Regards
Jimmy
Riverratss is offline Find More Posts by Riverratss
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:53 AM
Blade Butcher
smitty240's Avatar
Boones Mill, VA
Joined Nov 2002
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverratss View Post
It's $17.90 US UPS ground to this East Coast of USA. I think that is a little steep also!!

Regards
Jimmy
A lot of the shipping companies (all?) are going more to factoring the volume of the container more so than the weight. This makes shipping light, voluminous item like this more expensive to ship. It's coming to the point where the local hobby shop + tax isn't out of the ballpark in a lot of cases when you facto in shipping. This is why was wanting to do a group (two is a group) buy with Chairwolf had they had any SS in stock.
smitty240 is offline Find More Posts by smitty240
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:20 AM
I think it'll work this time!!
Chairwolf's Avatar
399 feet above Roanoke, VA
Joined Jan 2007
3,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Remove the washers in the front of the plane and rebalance it for 72mm CG. Poof. Problem solved.
AJ
I agree with AJ. Always remember to remove the washer before flying. Also remove the dryer!!

(sorry AJ, I couldn't resist!!!)
Chairwolf is offline Find More Posts by Chairwolf
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:20 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
hello guys I'm returning with my wingdragon mods BUT I'm returning because it has to do with electronics and not the actual plane Those electronics some of you might wanna use on your SkySs.

Well as I posted before I repaired the motor mount and I used some piece of hard wood to create amount.. everythig fine but the elevator servo was having moving with no reason.. trempling might be a proper word. Maybe because the wire is 30cm long because that servo used to be on my F-22. I replaced my F-22 servos with 2 digital ones.

That was eliminated by using the 50amp ESC (with external BEC) from my F-22 and also I got rid of the fear of becoming aflaming ball while the setup was drawing just under 30amps while the ESC was 18.

then there was a problem with the throttle. I setup again the ESC but same thing. Throttle was cutting off.. The 3cell battery was not enough. The 4 cell solved the problem.
And here I am now.. using a 50amp ESC with a 4cell battery (rather large one 2200mah) an a 2200kv motor. Having a HEAVY plane to fly... next tihng I expect is to snap the wings while in the air. we'll see

EDIT: Ofcourse all these could be avoided with a 25 or 30amp ESC and cut some wire from the elevator servo. Now I'm waiting for the battery to fast charge and try to fly it.
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Last edited by pavcon; Apr 22, 2010 at 10:21 AM. Reason: ANOTHER THOUGHT
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:33 AM
Registered User
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2009
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairwolf View Post
I agree with AJ. Always remember to remove the washer before flying. Also remove the dryer!!

(sorry AJ, I couldn't resist!!!)
Thanks. Just took delivery of 2 ARFs. A few questions for those that have ventured before me:

- are the washers present in the ARF version, and just where are they?

-Wing attachment. The manual says to glue them onto the fuselage. Don't wanna do that if I do not have to - the thing I like about the EZ* is being able to put it in any sized car by being able to easily remove and replace the wings. I do use rare earth magnets (size close to a quarter - 2 pair) on my EZ...would a pair suffice on the SkySurfer instead of glue?

Thanks,
Don
donsinger1 is offline Find More Posts by donsinger1
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 02:08 PM
flyvertigo
Orlando FL
Joined Aug 2009
456 Posts
This just in

Dear Jim,

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Both the brushed
and brushless versions of the RTF kit are presently in stock. The brushed
and brushless ARF kits are presently out of stock.

Thank you,

Saralyn C.
Customer Service Representative
www.BANANAHOBBY.com

600/602 Monterey Pass Rd
Monterey Park CA 91754
E: BHSARA09@BananaHobby.com
flyvertigo is online now Find More Posts by flyvertigo
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:15 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
My 2nd order arrived

Wow. They got my order on Monday and today is Thursday. UPS dropped it off at 10am. So, it was approximately 3 days from order to delivery. Great service. At first, I thought they forgot to ship the extra wing set that I ordered. I reviewed the order that I sent and it was on there. The email they sent me post the order showed that I ordered it. But, then, to the right of the amount of the wing set it showed "0". It was then that I noticed that they did not charge me for it either. For me, I prefer that they handled it the way they did and ship me everything else. But, Tower Hobbies would have done the same thing but would have sent me what they had and back order the rest and send it to me whenever it arrived. So, all in all, it is OK with me. The down side is that now I have to pay another shipping charge when order the wing set again. Darn. Ah well, I still give BH 4 1/2 stars for the speedy processing. I dock them 1/2 star for not alerting me that the wing set was out of stock and that they did not back order it for me. So, would I order from them again? YES. In a heartbeat. This last order is just sort of a tiny hiccup in the order processing. I am quite sure that sort of thing will improve as time goes on. They are trying SOOOOOO hard to just get the orders out quickly that I would not ask for more. To expect perfection this early in their web presence is unrealistic. The big deal is that they are making every effort to improve their customer service.
AJ
After re-reading the above, I decided to assemble SkyS#2 and put the EZ* wings on it and the SkyS wings on the EZ*. I am conjecturing that both planes will fly exactly the same (I will do this test with and without ailerons).
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Apr 23, 2010 at 12:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 01:10 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Motor mount system

Here are the pics I promised earlier to post when I got my 2nd ARF. BTW-It is a real ARF only (not an RR, like the last one). It looks fairly straight forward. However, on SkyS #3 (separate order fuse does not include MM), I will build my own motor mount system that will facilitate a method to use several different motors and swap them in and out quickly. I will take pics as I design and build it. I plan to use wheels, too.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Apr 23, 2010 at 01:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 03:10 AM
Registered User
antennahead's Avatar
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,300 Posts
I just recieved my SS today!! I'm really very impressed with this plane. I ordered the ARF version with brushless upgade. In the box was the basic airframe, brushless motor and mount. Earlier posts indicate that people ordered the arf and recieved complete airframes with Motor, esc and servos. My guess is that the very first ARF's were not available as the first orders for ARF's started comming in, so Bananna, just took the radios out of the RTF's and shipped the rest., So those people got a bonus

This was my very first order with Bananna hobby and all went well. It took 3 days after my order to get a shipping conformation, and 3 days after that, It was delivered to my home. everthing arived in perfect condition

After opening the box, my only suprise was the size of the prop Man this thing is small!! I will definately install an APC 6x4

The clear plastic engine mount supplied will work very well if you plan to stick with the original brushless motor, but may make it dificult to upgrade the motor later on down the road. I will probably install the pvc adapter motor mount that is so popular on the ez star thread to facilitate easier motor swaps.

AJ, you posted the specs on the supplied brushless motor for the SS on the easy thread.....Could you post those specs here, or at the begining of this thread for everyone here?
antennahead is offline Find More Posts by antennahead
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 04:49 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
It is a small prop because it's better for abeginner.. a larger prop will not have the instant reaction of asmall one but it can get you out of trouble easier.

Good luck with your SkyS and happy flying
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 04:44 PM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
I just recieved my SS today!! I'm really very impressed with this plane. I ordered the ARF version with brushless upgade. In the box was the basic airframe, brushless motor and mount. Earlier posts indicate that people ordered the arf and recieved complete airframes with Motor, esc and servos. My guess is that the very first ARF's were not available as the first orders for ARF's started comming in, so Bananna, just took the radios out of the RTF's and shipped the rest., So those people got a bonus

This was my very first order with Bananna hobby and all went well. It took 3 days after my order to get a shipping conformation, and 3 days after that, It was delivered to my home. everthing arived in perfect condition

After opening the box, my only suprise was the size of the prop Man this thing is small!! I will definately install an APC 6x4

The clear plastic engine mount supplied will work very well if you plan to stick with the original brushless motor, but may make it dificult to upgrade the motor later on down the road. I will probably install the pvc adapter motor mount that is so popular on the ez star thread to facilitate easier motor swaps.

AJ, you posted the specs on the supplied brushless motor for the SS on the easy thread.....Could you post those specs here, or at the begining of this thread for everyone here?
Actually, the #'s are in post #19 of this thread. But, I will save you the time to go find it. Here are the #'s again:
Here are the numbers (all static with WattsUp meter):
2000Kv
TGS 6x4E
11.18 Ap
11.37 Vm (stock battery)
129.2 Wp
Be sure to keep us posted on your build. Oh, and Welcome to the thread.
AJ
P.S. Thank you for the great suggestion. I will put them in post #2.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Apr 23, 2010 at 04:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 06:11 PM
First to go over 106K feet
Crist Rigotti's Avatar
United States, TX, Waxahachie
Joined Mar 2008
2,484 Posts
AJ,
Can you confirm that the fuselage is just like the Easy Star? Is it the same width and height as far as the cargo compartment goes? I's like to try one of these as an FPV ship. I have a Wild Hawk/Super Lightning and the fuselage is thenner and the cargo area is a lot smaller. Thanks.
Crist Rigotti is online now Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Cyber Sky Parachute (Sky Surfer) shv2sail Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 6 May 28, 2013 03:14 AM
Discussion Sky Surfer nickwayne11c Electric Plane Talk 15 Nov 18, 2011 03:36 PM
Discussion Banana Hobby Sky Surfer Problems cavy92 Electric Plane Talk 56 Nov 02, 2010 03:49 AM
Question Sky Surfer LiPo mod, help... Freight Dog Power Systems 0 Aug 17, 2006 02:45 PM
Swashplate Assembly with Center Ball; is this the swash with ball mod i want? tekforce Micro Helis 4 Feb 08, 2004 06:28 PM