HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2009, 04:32 PM
Westminster, CO
Joined Mar 2003
167 Posts
Question
High-G pullout = snap; The plane or me?

So, I'm trying to learn Pattern a got myself an Aspera V2. Second day out at the field I'm doing a 1/2 Reverse Cuban 8 and she snaps badly when pulling out. So badly that I had no time before my new plane was splatted into the dirt.

I've ordered another one and I'm going to try again, but my question is, what it something the plane (lateral balance? trim?) or was it me? Did I try to pull out too hard? In the short time I had the plane, I must have done 50 of these manuevers, but on this last one is just snapped.

What went wrong?
flyingtomg is offline Find More Posts by flyingtomg
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2009, 05:26 PM
Louisville KY
Joined Nov 2004
1,069 Posts
I've been seeing this on my G-Ride recently even though I have about 38 hours on it. When I started flying it recently after a long break from it I found I was getting hard snapping on pylon style turns and some freestyle hard mixed roll/turns. Part of the problem has been too much rudder correction. The G-Ride needs very little rudder compared to the other planes I've been flying more often recently.

Do the wings have the same washout on both sides? If it's snapping during a pure loop maybe it's a tip stall at high G's?

I'm hope someone more knowledgable than me posts a response. I'd like to know what they think too.
podavis is offline Find More Posts by podavis
Old Mar 24, 2009, 06:56 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,227 Posts
The Aspera generally won't snap on you unless you are way too tail heavy or have way too much elevator throw in it. Also, any plane will snap on you if you get it really, really heavy. I've run 4s 4000 mah batteries in my Aspera on occasion and that's getting beefy to the point I've got to be a little careful with snatching the elevator turning at low speed.

I can get mine to snap on high rates if I snatch the stick back hard and hold it there, but when I release it the plane starts flying again. The Aspera doesn't have a natural snap or tip stall tendancy when it's set up right, but if you do enough things wrong at once any plane can turn into a dirt seeking projectile. Yes, I've done too many things wrong at once on many occasions.

I put 300 flights on my first Aspera and it survived a lot of rough flying to end up in a friend's hands still in good shape. If you check my videos you'll see I really horse it around. This is the trim flight and I've still got enough confidence to turn it really, really hard with no problem.....

It's quite possible, and I've done it too, that you may have pulled in some aileron when you added elevator, or maybe even rudder. I very, very nearly trashed my brand new Slick like this, but I was a tiny bit good and a lot lucky.

It's also possible the crash gods were just after you that day. Sometimes that is the only way to explain things.

I'de say to build your new Aspera exactly to the setup sheet, keep it as light as possible, and you will probably be ok. It's not a viscious back-biting plane by nature, but if enough things are done wrong and go wrong, no plane is immume to rebelling on you.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Mar 24, 2009, 07:12 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
FTMG - the Aspera will pull a very tight loop without snapping out, and as you noted the first 50 were good, so the thing to do is to look the plane over carefully to find out what changed between #50 and #51.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 25, 2009, 01:42 PM
Westminster, CO
Joined Mar 2003
167 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I bought a lighter motor for the new one and I'll keep the elevator throw lower. I had set it up per the instructions, but I was on high rates at the time.
flyingtomg is offline Find More Posts by flyingtomg
Old Mar 26, 2009, 07:37 AM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,076 Posts
Used to see this in Pylon......too much ele throw. Tail heavy will aggrivate it.
I set mine up to be able to pull full up in any position and not snap. Low rate I set up to have just enough to flare on landing.
Mark
mrittinger is online now Find More Posts by mrittinger