Old Jul 01, 2016, 01:14 PM
Find More Posts by joel_l
United States, CO
Joined Nov 2005
35 Posts
Discussion
Vortex Soling M

After being a display piece for a couple of decades, I decided to dust off my Soling M. I remember driving up to Santa Barbara, in 1978, to pick this up. It still has the original Futaba FP-S10, S34, and S38 servos in it.

Not much sailing activity I know of in Northern Colorado and the one person I did know and sailed with once, sold his boat.

Now that I live near a "suitable" lake ( OK, I've been here 10 years ) and have a few grand kids, I thought I give it another go. I thought I would update the TX and receiver to 2.4GHz, looking at the spectrum DXe. How is 2.4GZ working over the water? I use 2.4 for air, have a couple of cars that seem OK, though I can go out of range with the cars. Do you make your own antennas and run it up the mast or a stay? Is it just not an issue? Given that the antenna is really only the last 32mm or so at the end where the shielding is stripped off, I thought making a longer one might be the thing to do.

The Soling seems to be in overall good condition. If I do keep at sailing it, a new set of sails might be on order.

I look forward to giving it another go.

Joel
joel_l is offline Find More Posts by joel_l
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2016, 01:22 PM
Find More Posts by bbbp
a.k.a. Bob Parks
United States, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jun 2008
3,114 Posts
Nice boat!
Here (Phoenix AZ,club WVRCM) the preferred tx is the DX6. It has more end point adjustment capabilities, and the antenna can be totally hidden inside the case.

2.4 is the preferred setup, due to individual tx/rx locking. It is no problem over water, just into water it does not work (submarines!). It will go farther than you can see the boat.

BP
bbbp is online now Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Jul 02, 2016, 07:30 AM
Find More Posts by breakwater
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,720 Posts
Cool Soling Marblehead!
Yes, absolutely go to 2.4ghz.

(As an aside, why aren't there any 5ghz radios yet? everything in the corporate world has gone that way)

Anyway.
I'd say don't upgrade the sails. They are designed for that rig, and particularly the main boom as it is not a loose footed main, and the jib which has no boom. Pick up a rig kit from Midwest Model Yachting, and sails from Jake @ Vector sails. mimic what the Soling 50 crowd has done with their rigs, then you'll have a quick boat.
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater
Old Jul 02, 2016, 01:44 PM
Find More Posts by SailingJunkie
United States, CT, Essex
Joined Mar 2013
625 Posts
As Breakwater points out, those sails are specific to that mast/rig set up. You can't buy a new set as I discovered on a refit I did a few years ago.

SJ
SailingJunkie is offline Find More Posts by SailingJunkie
Old Jul 02, 2016, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by RodACarr
Joined Jun 2009
147 Posts
Vortex Soling

Replacement sails for the Vortex Soling have been coming out of our loft ever since the boat was first marketed. I can duplicate the club-less jib configuration, though most skippers opt to set a jib club for better sail shape and performance downwind. Several skippers have sent their old sails so that details can be duplicated. We've done them in Dacron, in mylar and still have some of the 3 oz dacron on hand to allow red, white and blue paneling for a "National Pride" look.

We've found no existing model yacht sail that we have been unable to duplicate, or indeed improve upon with modern materials and techniques. From 1895 "vintage" boats, free sailed vane-steered boats, to modern "RTS" boats like the Dragon Force and Dragon Flite....we do them all.
RodACarr is offline Find More Posts by RodACarr
Old Jul 02, 2016, 03:05 PM
Find More Posts by SailingJunkie
United States, CT, Essex
Joined Mar 2013
625 Posts
Ok then...I stand corrected.
SailingJunkie is offline Find More Posts by SailingJunkie
Old Jul 02, 2016, 03:39 PM
Find More Posts by The Tug
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel_l View Post
After being a display piece for a couple of decades, I decided to dust off my Soling M. I remember driving up to Santa Barbara, in 1978, to pick this up. It still has the original Futaba FP-S10, S34, and S38 servos in it.

Not much sailing activity I know of in Northern Colorado and the one person I did know and sailed with once, sold his boat.

Now that I live near a "suitable" lake ( OK, I've been here 10 years ) and have a few grand kids, I thought I give it another go. I thought I would update the TX and receiver to 2.4GHz, looking at the spectrum DXe. How is 2.4GZ working over the water? I use 2.4 for air, have a couple of cars that seem OK, though I can go out of range with the cars. Do you make your own antennas and run it up the mast or a stay? Is it just not an issue? Given that the antenna is really only the last 32mm or so at the end where the shielding is stripped off, I thought making a longer one might be the thing to do.

The Soling seems to be in overall good condition. If I do keep at sailing it, a new set of sails might be on order.

Joel
For heavens sake don't let them convince you to change your original travelers and hardware, simply because they think it's faster.Just have the jib made with good s/s grommets on the three corners.Where the batten pocket is on the jib replace with an external wishbone (windsurfer style boom) easily made out of stiff SS fishing wire,stitch it on to the headstay through the jib luff and tie the back end of the wishbone boom to the clue grommet at the same angle as the original batten pocket,allow the sail to be relaxed within the boom but not loose and floppy connect the sheet to the sail itself and not the boom.All needs to be done is float the sail up/down on the headstay to get the twist right.Basically all you've done is replace the stiff fiberglass batten that kills the sailshape with a simple external wishbone boom while keeping the boat with it's original vortex equip.Your headstay remains centerline allowing the boat to point higher than any clubfoot jib with it's headstay offset out to windward as if it were set on a spinnaker pole,wing on wing there is more sail exposed but I never saw any difference in downwind speed one from the other.If you'd like some photos of what it actually looks like send me a PM I'd be glad to help you.The boat is fastest with it's original vortex equip.
P.S looking at the boat again it looks to be in prestine condition.For just puttering around the lake with the grandkids, just fit a wishbone on the jib and remove the heavy batten is all you need.Keep it Origional it's beautiful,they like a bit of wind.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Last edited by The Tug; Jul 02, 2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2016, 05:21 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,720 Posts
Surely there is great value in leaving it as-is as well.

They do go great in a stiff breeze, and no bulb to get fouled up, and relatively shallow draft if your local pond has those items to contend with.
Old Jul 02, 2016, 06:19 PM
Find More Posts by Scratchy101
Canada, BC, Greater Vancouver Regional District
Joined Dec 2011
631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakwater View Post
(As an aside, why aren't there any 5ghz radios yet? everything in the corporate world has gone that way)
5Ghz is used to increase data rates but is less effective at penetrating objects like walls. Typically it is installed in an office with more radios with lower power ouput for even coverage.
5Ghz is used for FPV transmitters due to the increased data rates (bandwidth available for HD video).
It is even more line-of-sight than 2.4Ghz so less suitable for sailboats with the antenna inside the hull.
Scratchy101 is offline Find More Posts by Scratchy101
Old Jul 02, 2016, 11:10 PM
United States, CO
Joined Nov 2005
35 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.

I was not looking to "upgrade" the sails or running gear in any way. The sails I have are showing their age. I found a small tear in the jib and some thin spots. Seems the sail cloth is just aging. The boat is in excellent condition otherwise with just some chips in the waterline stripe.

When I originally built this boat I really didn't have a way to shape the keel, so I left it strait. I remember Vortex recommending leaving it strait if you didn't have a way to shape it properly. Now, having more skills and proper tools, I could consider doing that, or maybe just still leave it alone and enjoy sailing it.

When it comes to the sails, I would just like to duplicate the originals in every way. There's a bit of sentiment behind it so I don't want to change anything.

When I was young, we had a Soling we sailed out of Newport Beach in S. CA. I remember seeing a Vortex add for the model and having to have one. It took a while to scrape up the I think $395 for it. When I went and picked it up, I recall being captivated by some of the models that were there.

The Soling, both model and full size bring up some memories. The full size is long since gone but the model I hope to pass on to a grand kid as it was when I got it.

Joel
Old Jul 02, 2016, 11:32 PM
Find More Posts by hiljoball
Canada, BC, Strathcona
Joined Jul 2011
958 Posts
If you just want to recreate the sails to 'original', then Rod Carr (post #5 above) is probably the best way to go.

http://www.carrsails.com/

John
hiljoball is offline Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Jul 03, 2016, 06:12 AM
Find More Posts by The Tug
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,996 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies.

I was not looking to "upgrade" the sails or running gear in any way. The sails I have are showing their age. I found a small tear in the jib and some thin spots. Seems the sail cloth is just aging. The boat is in excellent condition otherwise with just some chips in the waterline stripe.

When I originally built this boat I really didn't have a way to shape the keel, so I left it strait. I remember Vortex recommending leaving it strait if you didn't have a way to shape it properly. Now, having more skills and proper tools, I could consider doing that, or maybe just still leave it alone and enjoy sailing it.

When it comes to the sails, I would just like to duplicate the originals in every way. There's a bit of sentiment behind it so I don't want to change anything.

When I was young, we had a Soling we sailed out of Newport Beach in S. CA. I remember seeing a Vortex add for the model and having to have one. It took a while to scrape up the I think $395 for it. When I went and picked it up, I recall being captivated by some of the models that were there.

The Soling, both model and full size bring up some memories. The full size is long since gone but the model I hope to pass on to a grand kid as it was when I got it.

Joel
All the Soling keels here are of cast iron or the faster aluminum /lead version,in both cases they are of the hour glass shape.They needed light sanding and painting and that was it as far as I know.I'm not aware you had to shape it when new from Vortex?
The boat is rigged,make a wishbone boom for the existing jib so you figure out how it works,and then use that boom on the new sails or make a new one to correct any errors,it can be made in 5 min.The batten in the jib just really kills the sail shape totally,the rest of the rig is fine as is for what you want to do.We have about 10 of them here we no longer sail as we are an IOM club now,ocasionally I put mine in,as it's a display boat at the clubhouse and find that's a really cool way to get rid of the cobwebs.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Jul 03, 2016, 08:24 AM
United States, CO
Joined Nov 2005
35 Posts
About the keel, you are right it does have a bit of shape to it. I do recall it being aluminum and lead. So I guess I don't remember the detail about it that Vortex said not to bother with. I just remember that when I tried to do something It was a losing proposition.

For now I will just get it out in the water as is and see how much I'm using it.

Thanks!
Old Jul 03, 2016, 03:54 PM
Find More Posts by seefest
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,682 Posts
Quote:

Joel
If you decide it's not for you I've been looking for that exact vintage Soling M. I'm willing to pay good money for it as well. $1000 and I'll pay shipping as well.
Always wanted one as a kid but couldn't afford it. I have a want ad on the AMYA site but haven't got any interest from it.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Jul 03, 2016, 04:16 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,720 Posts
That's a good offer.