Originally Posted by hifinsword
It does sound like the ESC died on you. I stalled my 342 on its 5th flight. Ended up having to remount the motor. It probably had something to do with frying the stock 50A ESC. I don't think the crash should have fried the ESC since I wasn't at full throttle, or even partial throttle. There wasn't any noticeable burned area, but it just wouldn't work after that crash. So I replaced it with a EMax 60A model loaded with SimonK SW from LazerToyz.com. Been working fine since then with another 28 flights on the new ESC.
I'm a little leary of the Detrum brand when it comes to their servos and control horns too. I've had to replace all the servos and tail feather control horns too.
P.S. I'm using a Lemon Rx/Stab. You might want to challenge the ESC on the ground before committing it to flight again with the same ESC. Restrain it so it won't go anywhere and move all the controls energetically at full throttle. Make sure nothing is in the blades line of rotation in case the spinner comes loose. The blades will be pulling with more force since it is restrained. In flight it only has to pull against the 2-3 lb airplane drag factor, not the entire weight of the plane.
I've done/suggest the same test as Don, except I keep the throttle off. Adding throttle probably presents a worse case, by heating up the circuits, but it makes me too uneasy doing it. I have witnessed a few (non-Dynam) instances when this test exceeded the BEC's output capability, resulting in a brief shutdown of the Rx.
As for Dynam ESC's, I have only used one (40A) Detrum ESC, in a different plane, and though it hasn't given me any major trouble, it did mysteriously seem to lose its programmed settings for no reason, and started stuttering on every throttle-up. Resetting to defaults fixed the problem. Using a BEC tester I built, this ESC/BEC appears to easily meet Dynam's claimed output of 3A. This gave me some confidence in their ESCs. But the original 50A ESC in my Dynam Sukhoi SU-26M had a poor solder joint at one of the motor/bullet connectors, which caused it to stutter. Resoldering it seemed to fix the problem, but not wanting to take a chance, I replaced it with something completely different before its first flight.
Like Don, I also have a Lemon Rx/Stabilizer in mine, and also had a Dynam control horn break on the rudder. They seem very brittle.