HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM
*It Ain't Lookin Good*
Evansville IN
Joined Aug 2004
1,184 Posts
Discussion
*Airtronics SD-10G Antenna Orientation*

I have been seeing a lot on the forums about antenna orientation for various TX brands. I normally set mine at about a 45 degree angle pointing upwards. Is there a better orientation for this TX?
olezippi is offline Find More Posts by olezippi
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM
Mark LSF # 3792
United States, TX, Garland
Joined Nov 2008
727 Posts
Page 4 of the SD-10G manual says to orient the transmitter antenna perpendicular to the ground.

http://www.airtronics.net/media/uplo..._Manual_V2.pdf
Soarmark is offline Find More Posts by Soarmark
Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM
*It Ain't Lookin Good*
Evansville IN
Joined Aug 2004
1,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarmark View Post
Page 4 of the SD-10G manual says to orient the transmitter antenna perpendicular to the ground.

http://www.airtronics.net/media/uplo..._Manual_V2.pdf
Yeah, I read that but wanted to make sure. Wouldn't be the first time there was a miss print. Had some issues last year and wanted to rule the antenna out. Thanks.
olezippi is offline Find More Posts by olezippi
Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM
Mark LSF # 3792
United States, TX, Garland
Joined Nov 2008
727 Posts
When I use mine it is set at the 45 degree vertical position. With a neck strap it puts the antenna at very close to vertical to the world.

Also, I regularly fly all my sailplanes to almost OOS. I've never had any issues I can attribute to radio link. Even using the FHSS-3 park receiver in my TopSky II. Pilot disorientation...well?

If you've had radio link problems it might be some thing else...aircraft installation, batteries, ETC.
Soarmark is offline Find More Posts by Soarmark
Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
1,021 Posts
I've heard pro's and con's on how to position the trans antennae, whether vertical, horizontal, or canted. But one recommendation that has been a constant: one Rx antenna should be in the same orientation as the TX. And preferably in the most constant exposure. As I fly scale and train with trainers with minimal aerobatics, my Tx antennae is horizontal and my Rxs are horizontal; crosswise and lengthwise. And in my 8 years on 2.4, three days a week in Sunny SoCal, I haven't had a glitch with my Futaba or Airtronics.

Now if you do at lot of aerobatics, the Rx's should probably be one vertical and one horizontal lengthwise. And then it doesn't matter if your Tx is horizontal or vertical.
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski