HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2015, 09:04 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,296 Posts
Welcome back Helfox! What did you do to both your CMs?
easyrider604 is online now Find More Posts by easyrider604
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2015, 09:32 AM
You're gonna GLUE!
Canada, QC
Joined Nov 2012
432 Posts
easyrider604…….. Did you get your basement back ; )
You know how it goes. Helping others who are trying to fly with crappy planes. So you lower rates on your own reliable plane and send up a "flyable" plane for them to try. They end up loving it. (a well setup plane helps kids to enjoy this hobby instead of discouraging them)

So yup, ended up lending/donating the CM. 4 planes lent out to new flyers last year and one crashed. Never seen a kid cry soooo much. I felt so bad). The original CM hangs in basement. A war trophy, Mostly white now from flaking paint and a few crashes, not flyable. Somehow the other 3 are still "lent" out ; ) The one that crashed ended up joining our club... so I guess it was worth it. RIP
Helfox is offline Find More Posts by Helfox
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:07 AM
Joined Apr 2012
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helfox View Post
easyrider604…….. Did you get your basement back ; )
You know how it goes. Helping others who are trying to fly with crappy planes. So you lower rates on your own reliable plane and send up a "flyable" plane for them to try. They end up loving it. (a well setup plane helps kids to enjoy this hobby instead of discouraging them)

So yup, ended up lending/donating the CM. 4 planes lent out to new flyers last year and one crashed. Never seen a kid cry soooo much. I felt so bad). The original CM hangs in basement. A war trophy, Mostly white now from flaking paint and a few crashes, not flyable. Somehow the other 3 are still "lent" out ; ) The one that crashed ended up joining our club... so I guess it was worth it. RIP
So you are the club's membership director. eh? or you should be. We need new and younger members to keep our hobby growing. Good job!

Basement is pretty much empty now, only a few P51s, CMs, etc, left. I'll be flying more very soon.
Last edited by easyrider604; Jan 17, 2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 01:41 PM
You're gonna GLUE!
Canada, QC
Joined Nov 2012
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604 View Post
I'll be flying more very soon.
Good news that things have settle down and that you'll be able to fly more.

Membership director? NO WAY. I'm on the bottom of the totem pole. I just like offering the chance of learning. Pi$$es me off when a kid (or adult) is frustrated with flying, mostly because of improper set up , rates too high or un-flyable plane. I crashed a kids plane last year that I could not even control. About 90 seconds of yanking the sticks. No wonder a person trying to learning just decides to quit. What parent wants to spend another 200.00$ for something that lasts 10 seconds. We have very few members so I try to help when I can. I always cave in to a sad face ; (

Nothing like watching someone smile with the achievement of making a nice turn. Sad thing is it sometimes takes 3-4 minutes to set someone up with a flyable bird. Wether it's with PZ Trojan t28 or HZ Super cub or even a FMS dragonfly ; )
Thanks easyrider604, peace
Helfox is offline Find More Posts by Helfox
Old Feb 12, 2015, 08:49 PM
Throttle Bender
Joined Jun 2008
1,399 Posts
My CM is worn out, the foam has gone soft. I may have to use some strapping tape to stiffen it up. I have a lot of flight time on this bird. It's an early standard version. All but one flight has been on 4s. Now it goes out of trim on each flite, during the flight! the wing mounts are secure but the foam is spongy. No cracking near them yet. It's possible that this paint has slowly softened the foam. I don't know, it's not ready to be hung up yet.
merlinfan is offline Find More Posts by merlinfan
Last edited by merlinfan; Feb 12, 2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 05:27 PM
Throttle Bender
Joined Jun 2008
1,399 Posts
Today I found the left flap servo was acting up intermittently which explains the plane going out of trim in flight. Sometimes it would jam halfway down which made it roll right with flaps up and roll left with full flaps. Other times it would jam in the up position. Even with one full down and one up the plane is controllable but I wouldn't want to land like that. Sounds like gears are stripping.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 06:07 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfan View Post
Today I found the left flap servo was acting up intermittently which explains the plane going out of trim in flight. Sometimes it would jam halfway down which made it roll right with flaps up and roll left with full flaps. Other times it would jam in the up position. Even with one full down and one up the plane is controllable but I wouldn't want to land like that. Sounds like gears are stripping.
So how many flights on your CM before your foam softened and your flap servoacted up?

Just curious. My CM's motor board has loosened badly after less than one hundred flights.

However, it has been abused through rough landings and nose overs. Those are tough on motor mounts. Also I replaced the motor with a bigger 3548-790KV swinging a 12x 12 two blader. So that may have aggravated the problem. I will cut a 1/16 plywood shim and jam it up between the motor board and foam, with Gorilla glue.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 08:05 PM
Throttle Bender
Joined Jun 2008
1,399 Posts
I've been flying it for over two years, the first year it had over 150 flights with maybe another 100 the second year. I went with a bigger motor even though the original was still fine. The retracts have been fine and are original. Can't say that for my Voodoo. I pulled a hard pylon turn at about 90 today and the wings stayed on.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 04:27 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2014
8 Posts
Standard 3S version on 4S - Hot Motor ?

Picked up a new-in-bosx 3s version of the Critical Mass in a trade deal. It has the gold 3536 750kv motor. I have it all assembled and set it up with a 4s 2700mah Lippy Compact 35C, Turnigy 70 amp ESC, and stock prop. I put it on a watt-meter and it produced 768 Watts at 68 amps. Lots of thrust. I ran the motor up to full power for the reading, then dropped it down to about 2/3rds throttle for about 20 seconds. Total run time was about 45 seconds. I removed the prop and spinner, laid a finger on the motor and it was hot. I could only touch it for a second or two. No smoke and no smell of burning windings, but it sure made me wonder about all the post I have read here that this set-up was pretty standard on the 3S versions. Can you been-their-done-that guys give me an idea of how much heat I should expect on that motor?
6meter is offline Find More Posts by 6meter
Old Feb 15, 2015, 06:36 PM
Out of the Past
Canada, BC, Vernon
Joined Aug 2014
91 Posts
W000000ffff!!!!

Im amazed its still running. A quick runup to full power for a reading and thats it!
"Static pulls kills mills".Also "cooks" the lube out of the bearings. Prop " Unloads" when its flying with airflow thru the arc and airflow around the ESC and motor keeps it cool. Its a functional setup but should be considered " Marginal" with the 3536 so handle with care.
A cool down lap after "Beatin it Up" or couple lazy circles before landing! 2 blade prop will help bring the amps down.
IGIVEUP1 is offline Find More Posts by IGIVEUP1
Last edited by IGIVEUP1; Feb 16, 2015 at 02:08 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 09:02 PM
Throttle Bender
Joined Jun 2008
1,399 Posts
I don't do full power run ups with fresh batteries. Too tough on the equipment. Sometimes I do a wattmeter check with a just flown battery. Don't worry about the stock motor on 4s with 4 blade. It can take it.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 02:25 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,296 Posts
Quote:
I don't do full power run ups with fresh batteries. Too tough on the equipment. Sometimes I do a wattmeter check with a just flown battery. Don't worry about the stock motor on 4s with 4 blade. It can take it.
Yup, many CM flyers have flown or are still flying her on 4S with stock motor/prop/ESC. I did it on my stock system before I replaced the motor with a 3548 790 KV.

If you want peace of mind on 4S, switch to a 2-blade 11x10 and you'll produce less heat, consume less battery power for longer flights and still enjoy about 10% higher top speed compared to the 4-blade prop.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 06:16 PM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
2,182 Posts
Or, stay stock and go 5s on a 10x10.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:09 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2014
8 Posts
Hot 4S

I appreciate the input. It has been cool and windy here, but I hope to try the CM out soon. I'll report back then.
6meter is offline Find More Posts by 6meter
Old Feb 18, 2015, 04:22 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,296 Posts
Quote:
I've been flying it for over two years, the first year it had over 150 flights with maybe another 100 the second year. I went with a bigger motor even though the original was still fine. The retracts have been fine and are original. Can't say that for my Voodoo. I pulled a hard pylon turn at about 90 today and the wings stayed on.
Are you saying that you enjoy flying your CM more than the VooDoo? Just wondering because I like the way my CM flies and overall handles better than my Strega.

Not saying the Strega doesn't fly well, but the CM just inspires confidence throughout its speed envelope. Granted it is not as sleek nor as fast as the Strega, but it flies like on the proverbial rails at any speed. As well, I can yank and bank from full throttle down to a crawl (can't say how slow, but it can fly real slow without stalling or dropping a wing). Doesn't even need flaps to slow to three point landings. And this is with two 2200 3S batteries on board. The CM is an honest, obedient plane that IMO anyone with low-wing aileron experience can handle.

Just be sure the CoG is right on the white stripe (on the wing) or a few mm forward. As well, I reduced the right and down thrusts by a washer each under the appropriate motor cross mount arm.