Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Idea
Plantraco Carbon Butterfly lipo connection mod

xxx
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Last edited by modfly; Jun 08, 2014 at 11:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2014, 11:09 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Plantraco Carbon Butterfly lipo connection mod

Well the Butterfly is a great little proportional 2 channel Ultra tiny micro thats all by its self. I have been flying this one about 4 years. Its a fragile little flying machine that comes in about 4 grams flying weight..Its in a class all by its self and is a little pricey but one has to consider that its not mass produced in China like everything thing else is. These thing are hand made in Canada and must be very difficult to produce. I have managed to keep mine flying despite many accidents as repairs are pretty strait forward on this Carbon Fiber wonder. One thing I think could have been done better is the lipo connection..when the lipo flies off after a misstep in flight its kinda makes you mad when you can't find it! Also the connection is sketchy at times as the magnet connectors get dirty with microscopic dirt particles and won't make connection which can be frustrating.

After upgrading the lipo connection the plane is much much more enjoyable to operate and I highly recommend this mod.
Old Jun 09, 2014, 08:21 AM
Joined Aug 2012
11 Posts
Thanks Modfly, My CB doesn't fly much just for the reason of moving couches, etc. to retrieve the teeny $15 battery. Q/ Is your battery supported or attached other than by the wires? I also noticed your wheels...any tips there? * My Mini Vapors have proved to be great bang for the buck and fly well indoors but I don't want my CB grounded either. Thanks again, Jim D.
Dynascrew is offline Find More Posts by Dynascrew
Old Jun 09, 2014, 09:42 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynascrew View Post
Thanks Modfly, My CB doesn't fly much just for the reason of moving couches, etc. to retrieve the teeny $15 battery. Q/ Is your battery supported or attached other than by the wires? I also noticed your wheels...any tips there? * My Mini Vapors have proved to be great bang for the buck and fly well indoors but I don't want my CB grounded either. Thanks again, Jim D.
The wires are the only support needed for the lipo. They have shrink tubing on the ends which make them stiff and able to support the lipo. you must be careful when making the connection as these type connections can be reverse polarity connected if you force it hard enough. These connectors are from Hobby Kind and come in a pack of 10. I use these connectors in a lot of stuff as they work well and are the smallest cheapest connector around.

The Wheels on my Plane are from a Park Zone UM plane. The wood wheels that came on it are very fragile. I do a lot of ROG so they did not last long. The Foam PZ wheels work great and will never break and absorb shock when landing.
Old Jun 09, 2014, 09:47 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Oh yea the Mini Vapor is a great indoor plane as is the original vapor and I fly both. With the lipo and wheel mod the Butterfly is a great little plane as well and is very unique and fun to fly and its so darn tiny!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 09:10 AM
Joined Aug 2012
11 Posts
The Mini Vapor is the plane that finally taught my fingers what to do. Sooo slow I could walk behind as I flew. LOVE my Night Vapor too! It also sparked a large micro fleet as I can fly these things right near my house and not drive to the park. BIG favorite is Ares Stik, Moth, and Trainer 100(Great Flyer!). Just found Dynamic Foamy....very cool little planes, PT-17 coming soon! Small park near my house for the faster ones. I now have many small batteries, chargers, 100 mm extension leads from ebay. I think my factory set CB wing incidence is out of specs, do you have a sweet spot for that? Ps. BSD Micro is a cool site too.
Dynascrew is offline Find More Posts by Dynascrew
Old Jun 10, 2014, 09:30 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynascrew View Post
The Mini Vapor is the plane that finally taught my fingers what to do. Sooo slow I could walk behind as I flew. LOVE my Night Vapor too! It also sparked a large micro fleet as I can fly these things right near my house and not drive to the park. BIG favorite is Ares Stik, Moth, and Trainer 100(Great Flyer!). Just found Dynamic Foamy....very cool little planes, PT-17 coming soon! Small park near my house for the faster ones. I now have many small batteries, chargers, 100 mm extension leads from ebay. I think my factory set CB wing incidence is out of specs, do you have a sweet spot for that? Ps. BSD Micro is a cool site too.
Yea I changed mine by making the rear setting a bit lower, if set too low, the plane will propose a bit but a steep yaw will bring it out into level flight along with good throttle management. Once you get the CB wing incidence just right, the CB can fly as slow as the Vapor. A lot of people do not "get it" when you tell them them it can fly very slow...They think it should go faster lol..

I like to fly in the yard and in my barn. The C-Butterfly, Vapor, Mini Vapor can do the 24x34 barn just fine.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:54 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
50 mah lipo works well

The Butterfly can handle a 50mah lipo just fine. I was flying it outside yesterday and it did well with the larger lipo. I also can use the 30 mah from the mini vapor.