HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2014, 11:12 PM
Joined Jun 2014
9 Posts
Discussion
New Radio tomorrow, DX6 or DX8???

Hey everyone,

Just getting back into the hobby after many years, I just picked up an Apprentice S 15e with S.A.F.E.

I'm picking a radio tomorrow and am trying to choose between the new DX6 or a DX8?

I want to be able to setup the new radio as the main radio and the included DX5e that comes with the Apprentice as the buddy box.

Which radio would you all recommend?

I'm assuming I can get all the S.AF.E. Functionality out of either of theses radios?

Thanks.

Gromet
Gromet is offline Find More Posts by Gromet
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2014, 11:14 PM
Human
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Jan 2014
281 Posts
I would go with the new DX6, especially if you plan to buddy box often.

The DX6 is superior over the DX8 in every way possible, other than not having 2 extra channels.

The DX6 has voice, wireless buddy box, forward programming, a better display, etc. over the DX8.

If you want to stick with Spektrum and need >6 channels, I'd go with the DX9 instead of the DX6/8.
D7M5N7 is offline Find More Posts by D7M5N7
Old Jun 06, 2014, 06:18 AM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,080 Posts
The new black color DX6 that has wireless buddy box (teacher-student) system with many enhancements over the old silver color DX6i.
I do not think the new DX6 has backlight LCD display (DX8 has) but one can probably live with that or retrofit later with that.
I have the older silver color DX6i for smaller models. I use Futaba (14MZ) for my larger models.
If You have been looking at DX8 I would instead look at DX9 since it has better telemetry that I'm sure You would like (sooner or later).

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Last edited by bossee; Jun 08, 2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2014, 08:19 AM
no discrimination, I crash all
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2011
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossee View Post
The new black color DX6 that has wirless buddy box (teacher-student) system with many enhancements over the old silver colorDX6i.
I do not thnk the new DX6 has backlight LCD display (DX8 has) but one can probably live with that or retrofit later with that.
I have the older silver color DX6i for smaller models. I use Futaba (14MZ) for my larger models.
If You have been looking at DX8 I would instead look at DX9 since it has better telemetry that I'm sure You would like (sooner or later).

/Bo

I would go with D7`s advice above. The new DX6 does have backlight, and can do telemetry. It has most of what DX9 has. Real decision is if you only need 6 channels go with dx6 if you need more go with dx9. I would only buy one of these since they are the newest radios from Spektrum, and they can share files etc...and if I had to guess there whole radio line will only be newer voice radios like these in the future.
ncsky is offline Find More Posts by ncsky
Old Jun 06, 2014, 09:03 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsky View Post
I would go with D7`s advice above. The new DX6 does have backlight, and can do telemetry. It has most of what DX9 has. Real decision is if you only need 6 channels go with dx6 if you need more go with dx9. I would only buy one of these since they are the newest radios from Spektrum, and they can share files etc...and if I had to guess there whole radio line will only be newer voice radios like these in the future.
Voice radios ARE the new standard for us
I have two of em - They both have a few alerts which I hav now standardized for sport models
Any new models will be built on top of a basic model template in my model list , accessed from the Utilities page
The drill goes like this :
Buy new model-
Select correct template from the model list and make a copy
This is the new model
Now I rename the copy and tweak as required - checking Aircraft type -then , servo direction/travel etc..
finally- test the result -against the new model and make any corrections.
I now have a timer setup - voice prompts - a switch selection which is standardized and has rates and voice prompts in place.
The 250 slots in the model memory provide plenty of room for categorizing models bytype and including a group of templates which are applicable to various basic model types.
Radios with less than this - are just just not worth the effort -at least for me .
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Jun 07, 2014, 10:11 AM
Joined Jun 2014
9 Posts
Thanks everyone, I went with the Dx6. Can't wait try.it out today. Also maiden of my new Apprentice S.

Thanks!
Gromet is offline Find More Posts by Gromet
Old Jun 08, 2014, 06:45 AM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,080 Posts
Gromet,
Great - when You have time please give some report how You like the new DX6 radio.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee