Anyone else tried this yet?

Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:27 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,559 Posts
Um.... Why?

Lets take an overweight slug of a 500 heli and make it even heavier.

You can fly 500mm blades on mini servos, no need for Stds on 425mm.
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Mar 22, 2013, 05:35 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
Um.... Why?

Lets take an overweight slug of a 500 heli and make it even heavier.

You can fly 500mm blades on mini servos, no need for Stds on 425mm.
Less likely to strip in a crash than mini servos. Also the larger front end has more presence in the sky when flying it without a canopy. The previous mini servos were 26 grams each, the Hyperions I'm using now are 52 grams each so they only weigh a total of 78 grams over the mini servos, a drop in the bucket compared to the total weight of a typical Trex 500 build. And as I only fly sport and not 3D it won't make a noticeable performance difference to me. (I have trouble believing that I would notice a 78 gram difference even if I did)
Old Mar 22, 2013, 06:02 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
Less likely to strip in a crash than mini servos. Also the larger front end has more presence in the sky when flying it without a canopy. The previous mini servos were 26 grams each, the Hyperions I'm using now are 52 grams each so they only weigh a total of 78 grams over the mini servos, a drop in the bucket compared to the total weight of a typical Trex 500 build. And as I only fly sport and not 3D it won't make a noticeable performance difference to me. (I have trouble believing that I would notice a 78 gram difference even if I did)
Hi AS, good going. what standard servos you put in.
wlee1017 is offline Find More Posts by wlee1017
Old Mar 22, 2013, 06:43 PM
Smoke em ' If ya got em
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,382 Posts
Delete...
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Last edited by Dejavu*Xion; Mar 23, 2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 07:22 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee1017 View Post
Hi AS, good going. what standard servos you put in.
Cyclic servos are Hyperion Atlas DS20X-SMD's. The default deflection from center is 50 degrees to either side so I changed it to the standard 45 degrees. This way I only needed to adjust the upper collective endpoint by 5% for 12 degrees pitch and the lower endpoint was perfect at the default 100%. I also increased the deadband to 3us because as 2us they were quite noisy at rest at certain angles of rotation. This is caused either by jitter on the the signal from my RX, the signal from the gyro or by noise from the switching BEC. Whatever the cause increasing the deadband slightly quieted them down.

Cyclic servos are mounted on the inside of the frame like a 450 SE V2, the rudder servo needed spacers to get the elevator ball centered (I used 2 "thin" Outrage spacers glued together). I put the ball on the underside of the horn in order to reduce how much of the servo body protruded from the frame (might not work with all servos, some don't have enough clearance between the horn and the case). The servo doesn't interfere with the canopy mount, though with a stock mount it might cause problems.

One thing I like about Hyperion metal gear servos is that they sell a pack of the plastic gears separately.

The frame panels are made by Phoenixtech. I compared the screw holes to a standard frame and they all line up correctly. Panels are 1.8mm thick. The holes where the tabs on the boom mount and receiver tray fit needed to be smoothed with fine grit sandpaper before the tabs would fit in the holes. If they are undersized it must be on the order of 0.1mm or less because I couldn't see any difference or even measure it with calipers. at $15 each I'm not complaining, at least there is zero slop in the fit.

I'm still using the HK/Blue Arrow Mi tail servo I've been using since last year. It works well enough that I saw no reason to replace it.
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Mar 22, 2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 09:43 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
AS, thanks for info. I do have hyperion servos for 450 but mini ones.
Last edited by wlee1017; Mar 23, 2013 at 04:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old Mar 23, 2013, 04:27 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
hey AS, where you get phoenixtech frame, I can't find any online sell phoenixtech 500ESP/Pro conversion kit.

ebay cost over $40.00 shipping.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 05:11 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee1017 View Post
hey AS, where you get phoenixtech frame, I can't find any online sell phoenixtech 500ESP/Pro conversion kit.

ebay cost over $40.00 shipping.
Search for "500 Stander Servo Frame" (those words exactly) on Ebay.

Edit: You mean the 500Evo conversion kit? Where did you find that I haven't been able to find that anywhere.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 05:51 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
Search for "500 Stander Servo Frame" (those words exactly) on Ebay.

Edit: You mean the 500Evo conversion kit? Where did you find that I haven't been able to find that anywhere.
Thanks. I saw phoenixtech 500 conversion kit from ebay last time, shipped from China but can't find now. may keep search for a while and see.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 09:45 AM
bclong211
USA, SC, Columbia
Joined Jan 2007
71 Posts
I've got the esp frame style or the first 500 I guess you would say would all of my hardware line up and work to convert to these frames? I use minis now but would love to go to standards. I hate the way I have to use spacers to get the ail and pitch servos out far enough to clear. Ended up having to use longer balls on the servo arms to get the linkages to the swash at 90 vertically. Putting way to much stress on the arm.
bclong211 is offline Find More Posts by bclong211
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bclong211; Mar 24, 2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 08:37 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclong211 View Post
I've got the esp frame style or the first 500 I guess you would say would all of my hardware line up and work to convert to these frames? I use minis now but would love to go to standards. I hate the way I have to use spacers to get the ail and pitch servos out far enough to clear. Ended up having to use longer balls on the servo arms to get the linkages to the swash at 90 vertically. Putting way to much stress on the arm.
Yes but you need to do a bit of sanding on a few of the holes to make them fit properly. Given the overall quality (1.8mm, no scratches or blemishes, screw holes all line up where they're supposed to) I consider this acceptable at $15 per frame. Also I'm not sure if they all are like this. I've ordered a second set as backups and I'll check those to see if the same is true of them. In any case check the fit first before sanding.

The motor mount screw holes are slightly undersized but can be expanded to 3mm by screwing an M3 into the hole till the head bottoms out. Once that happens keep tightening and the screw threads will strip out the hole and expand it to 3mm (I mean *only* the CF frame by itself here, not the motor mount!). The edge of the hole will be slightly raised and can be smoothed out by putting an M3 driver bit into a dremel and spinning the screw head against the edge of the hole till friction smooths it flat with the frame. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, maybe Phoenixtech motor mounts use M2.5 screws? (Many Phoenixtech/Chaos parts are slightly different than Align, their main shaft blocks don't have tabs and their swashplates use M2 threads on the swashplate balls and don't have a plastic cup for example)

The holes that the tabs on the mainshaft bearing blocks, plastic boom mount and plastic bottom plate lock into need to be smoothed a bit with some fine grit sandpaper before they will fit. The small slots for the bearing block and boom mount tabs look like they were drilled as two overlapping holes rather than a slot so there is a raised bit in the center where the two holes that were drilled to form the slot overlap that needs to be smoothed down with a folded strip of sandpaper.

The hole that the tab on the receiver tray locks into is about 0.1mm undersized and needs to have the edges smoothed with fine grit sandpaper to fit. A small rolled up piece inserted into the hole and twirled with your fingers will do the job.

When adjusting the fit take it slow and smooth a little then check the fit and repeat until the tab fits the hole.

You need to mount the battery with the narrow side vertical to fit a standard 500 canopy. I found I had to run the battery wire out the bottom and plug it into the ESC wire on the outside as the wire interfered with the fit when kept inside the canopy.

I think I found an alternative canopy that will work well for this frame.

HK 500 cmt tt with 550 canopy helicopter (5 min 10 sec)

A 550 canopy can fit on a 500 frame, you just have to hook it under the front like an 450 SEv2 canopy (and probably drill the holes in a slightly different spot) The way it covers more of the frame looks similar to an Atom 500 canopy. Next time I order RJX blades from HK I'll order a cheap 12 buck 550 canopy to try this out with.
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Mar 24, 2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 05:06 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,307 Posts
Just get a 550 – they fly very much better than an overweight 500 (Actually 425). I never understood why that make a 425 and call it a 500??????????????????????

??????????
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Mar 26, 2013, 05:05 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Just get a 550 – they fly very much better than an overweight 500 (Actually 425).
Oh yes "just" pay $1000 for an entire new helicopter why didn't I think of that?

A 550 needs a much bigger field to fly from than a 500. also crashes will be more expensive, batteries cost more and flight times are shorter (I get 7-8 minutes on the 500)

The standard sized servos make it more crash resistant and only add around 78 grams. I don't fly 3D anyway and I doubt I'd notice that little extra weight even if I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I never understood why that make a 425 and call it a 500??????????????????????
Probably because it's halfway between a 450 and a 550. At this point no company will call their 425 a 425 because people will perceive it as being smaller than a "500" so we're stuck with the label.