New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2015, 01:44 PM
Find More Posts by Bird09
Joined Jun 2015
57 Posts
Discussion
Which fast plane next? Hint: My other one died!

So long story short, my Great Planes Proud Bird which had had about ~100 flights on it with no issues whatsoever decided to have a brown out today and it was too late once I regained control. Needless to say the airframe is scraps, though I may be able to salvage the motor, esc, and/or a few servos.

That was my favorite plane by far; quick, maneuverable, and fun. Since it's dead and I felt I had a firm grasp on flying 100mph speeds, which plane do you think I may enjoy along the same lines?

I land on 900ft paved asphalt runaway that is about 15ft wide. If the plane has no gear, I could use chassis protector on the bottom to belly land.

Requirements:

-Faster than my Proud Bird, hoping for 150mph.
-Similar size range- between 40 and 60", with 50" being a nice size WS for me
-Maneuverable
-Of course prop driven (EDF's aren't my favorite)
-Try to spend around $700-800 or less for the whole setup (I may be able to reuse a spektrum receiver and/or Castle 75amp edge lite depending on its current state.)

Let me know what you think. I just came back from the destruction of my plane and am dead set on thinking about my next fast(er) plane as it was my favorite to fly and I'm going to need to get another something similar in the very near future.

Thanks fellas for any suggestions you may have.
Bird09 is offline Find More Posts by Bird09
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2015, 01:53 PM
Find More Posts by ggradtech
United States, AZ, Fountain Hills
Joined Jun 2013
275 Posts
I say go for a Hobbyking Reverb. Really nice plane and not very expensive. Ditch that Spektrum before you do ANYTHING ELSE!!! I've had many issues with them. They cannot be trusted in my opinion. Taranis by FrySky is cheap and awesome radio system. Hundreds of flights without even 1 hiccup. I'm not the only one whose had Spektrum problems. There are many, many others who've had troubles as well. Good luck!!!
P.S. Proud Bird is an awesome flying plane! I love mine on 5s with a Hyperion helicopter motor.
ggradtech is offline Find More Posts by ggradtech
Old Jun 25, 2015, 02:07 PM
Joined Jun 2015
57 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply ggradtech-

Yea the Proud Bird is a hell of a plane. I would have rather crashed my 90mm Stinger EDF way more than the Proud Bird. The PB is just sooo much more exciting to me.

What kind of envelope is there for the reverb? Will I get my 150mph with the right setup? How will the handling characteristics compare to the proud Bird? Reasonably similar I would imagine, but it's a slipperier airframe, right?

What is a well trusted, reliable setup with reverb to get it to the speeds I want in your opinion?

And lastly, what about copying your idea to throw a hotter motor (like your Hyperion) on 5 cells on a new Proud Bird frame. I be that thing hauls, but does the airframe show weakness at those speeds? I'm kind of a WOT only guy when flying these fast planes. I can't seem to show restraint. Thank you for your help. It takes my mind off the (very recent) past and helps me to think positively towards a superior plane.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 02:42 PM
Find More Posts by mmattock
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Oct 2014
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird09 View Post
What kind of envelope is there for the reverb? Will I get my 150mph with the right setup? How will the handling characteristics compare to the proud Bird? Reasonably similar I would imagine, but it's a slipperier airframe, right?
Enjoy the reading, there is lots of it with options for an F5D type setup, hotliner setup and everything in between. The Reverb has a well deserved reputation for budget performance.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1237433

Mark
mmattock is offline Find More Posts by mmattock
Old Jun 25, 2015, 03:11 PM
Joined Jun 2015
57 Posts
I will have to check into that mmattock. Looks promising.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 09:10 AM
Find More Posts by ggradtech
United States, AZ, Fountain Hills
Joined Jun 2013
275 Posts
Proud Bird with a Hyperion or Scorpion helicopter motor (3026/1200kv). On 5s and an 8x8E prop I think I'm getting 135-145mph. I'm using a Castle Talon 90 ESC. I've not had any issues with this setup. I've done some hard banks too and not had any type of flutter or wing failure. You could probably use a higher kg motor like the 1600 on 4s and still go pretty fast.
The Reverb probably is a little bit more refined. No landing gear though. I'm using an HET 2W23 EDF motor on 4s/2200, 100A YEP ESC from Hobbyking. Cheap ESC, but excellent quality. 5.25X6.25 E prop. Maybe 140-150 mph? Just a guess, but it's pretty fast. On less battery than the PB too.
ggradtech is offline Find More Posts by ggradtech
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:50 AM
Joined Jun 2015
57 Posts
So after testing, it appears that my motor, esc, two of the three servos, and receiver (though I don't have full faith in this receiver) are in working order. I think the most frugal way to get back to where I was is simply get another Proud Bird ARF and one more servo and at some point I'll go ahead with a faster project. If everything was toast, then I'd build a faster Proud Bird or something else along t hose lines. Thanks for the info ggradtech, it's good to know the Proud Bird can handle the speeds I'm looking for (eventually.)

When the lifespan is up on this next stock Proud Bird (and assuming some parts are killed in the process) I'll be back to research a faster setup.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 06:18 AM
Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
4,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird09 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply ggradtech-

Yea the Proud Bird is a hell of a plane. I would have rather crashed my 90mm Stinger EDF way more than the Proud Bird. The PB is just sooo much more exciting to me.

What is a well trusted, reliable setup with reverb to get it to the speeds I want in your opinion?

And lastly, what about copying your idea to throw a hotter motor (like your Hyperion) on 5 cells on a new Proud Bird frame. I be that thing hauls, but does the airframe show weakness at those speeds? I'm kind of a WOT only guy when flying these fast planes. I can't seem to show restraint. Thank you for your help. It takes my mind off the (very recent) past and helps me to think positively towards a superior plane.
If your not usin a external BEC.....you should try it.....it takes care of the brownouts...Runnin WOT can cause that brownout......I had them as well....since I went to a small 3 cell compact 500 mah and a seperate BEC....not one Brown Out since.....I do this on anything over 3 cells anymore...

Billy
FlyBillyFly is offline Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly