New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:08 PM
Find More Posts by hunterhoward23
Joined Oct 2014
223 Posts
Discussion
1/16 Summit

Has anybody had the 1/16 Summit? Looks like a really cool truck. Never had a Traxxas before. Any other similar sized monster trucks anybody prefers?
hunterhoward23 is online now Find More Posts by hunterhoward23
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2015, 10:24 AM
Find More Posts by bill_delong
Did I make the A Main?
Austin,TX
Joined Mar 2009
1,346 Posts
I've seen some 1/12 cars at Value Hobby, they look promising to me:
http://www.valuehobby.com/car/1-12.html

I think HobbyKing is rebranding the same cars too (more expensive brushless version), I wouldn't be surprised to see them pop up all over the place across the net fairly soon.
bill_delong is offline Find More Posts by bill_delong
Old Apr 01, 2015, 12:14 PM
Joined Oct 2014
223 Posts
I have seen those before, they're pretty tempting. They are also being sold in eBay as Troo brand. I haven't seen the Hobbyking version yet.
Old Apr 01, 2015, 12:21 PM
Find More Posts by BigBadDogg
Suspended Account
United States, MI, Wyandotte
Joined Dec 2014
834 Posts
I have a mini summit . same as a mini Erevo( i have 4).. great RC youll have a blast and there is nothing on the same level as these unlike others have posted ..also a Mini summit is larger than a 1/12 scale
BigBadDogg is offline Find More Posts by BigBadDogg
Last edited by BigBadDogg; Apr 01, 2015 at 12:38 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 01, 2015, 02:52 PM
Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
16,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadDogg View Post
I have a mini summit . same as a mini Erevo( i have 4).. great RC youll have a blast and there is nothing on the same level as these unlike others have posted ..also a Mini summit is larger than a 1/12 scale

In what aspect is it bigger? Here are the specs of one of the 1/12 cars that Bill linked to:

"This brushed version of 1/12 monster truck comes with everything included and pre-installed. it includes 2.4GHz transmitter, RC390 brushed motor, ESC, servo, receiver and battery.

Specifications:

Length: 335mm
Width: 230mm
Height: 140mm
Wheel Diameter: 78mm
Wheel Width: 40mm
Weight: 980g
Motor: RC390 brushed motor"

Source: http://www.valuehobby.com/car/1-12/x...-blue-rtr.html

And the Mini Summit:

"Length: 12.6" (320mm)
Front Track: 10.43" (265mm)
Rear Track: 10.63" (270mm)
Weight: 44oz (1.24kg)
Height (overall): 7.48" (190mm)
Wheelbase: 8.425" (214mm)"

Source: https://traxxas.com/products/models/...116vxl?t=specs
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pictures of various boats
Old Apr 03, 2015, 10:03 PM
Find More Posts by dacaur
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
10,498 Posts
I have two 1/16 summits, one I bought used as a summit, and the other I bought new as a mini revo, and converted it to a mini summit after driving the summit once.... The truck is really in a class of its own. As long as you stay away from skate parks and don't treat it like a 1/8 buggy, its pretty bulletproof.... You will never regret getting one... The valuehobby truck seems like a good deal, but will not last like a mini summit, and parts support will be hit and miss now, and probably non-existent a few years down the road as they move on to new models...

Here are my two summits.
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Apr 04, 2015, 01:43 AM
Joined Oct 2014
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
I have two 1/16 summits, one I bought used as a summit, and the other I bought new as a mini revo, and converted it to a mini summit after driving the summit once.... The truck is really in a class of its own. As long as you stay away from skate parks and don't treat it like a 1/8 buggy, its pretty bulletproof.... You will never regret getting one... The valuehobby truck seems like a good deal, but will not last like a mini summit, and parts support will be hit and miss now, and probably non-existent a few years down the road as they move on to new models...

Here are my two summits.
Good looking trucks! You say you liked the summit better than the revo? Is there a lot of difference between the two?
Old Apr 04, 2015, 11:11 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
10,498 Posts
Here is my take on the mini summit vs mini revo....

If you like to do speed runs up and down the street, or you like to race on a groomed track, the mini revo is for you.

If you like to drive on any kind of rough surface, especialy grass, get the mini summit....

Its not that the mini revo doesn't work on real off road surfaces and grass, it does, better than and 1/18 4x4 and most 1/10 2 wheel drives I have tried. Before I tried a mini summit, I was perfectly happy with my mini revos off-road performance.

And its not that you cant do speed runs with the mini summit, 25mph isn't exactly slow for a 1/16 scale.... The one with the red truck body in the pic runs on two 2 cell 2200 packs in parallel, gets 45+ min runtimes, and does 28.5mph..... The other runs on two 2 cell 2000mah packs in parallel, gets 45+ min runtimes, and does 27MPH..... That's not too shabby.

The only downside to the summit vs the mini revo is its easier to flip onto the shiny side (the summit is), but the only time it really wants to flip is if you let off the throttle and then crank the wheel without slowing down first....Ccranking the wheel while on the throttle wont flip it normally. The mini revo of course is pretty easy to flip too, but a little less than the summit.

But, after driving a mini summit, I realized what a huge performance difference there is off road. The difference is bigger than the parts difference would suggest. I think most of the difference is in the tires and extra ground clearance, which of course makes sense since the only functional difference between the two is the tires, stiffer springs, and long travel rockers (along with lower gearing for the larger tires) Nail the throttle on the mini revo on the grass, and it goes pretty good, but with a lot of wheelspin... Nail the throttle on the mini summit on the grass and it will wheely.... lots more traction. The stock mini summit has a 10mm longer wheelbase, but since I have full RPM a-arms on both of mine, they both have a mini revo wheelbase.

The mini revo with upgraded tires, like trenchers, does a lot better off-road than the stock talons, but it is still lacking in ground clearance for obstacles, and bottoms out more due to weaker springs.

All that said, If you get one and change your mind later, you aren't out of luck! Any of the traxxas 1/16 vehicles can be changed to any of the others by replacing just a few parts! If you get a mini revo, you can convert it to a mini summit with just new rockers, springs, pinion, and wheel/tires. You can convert it to a mini slash with just new springs, a-arms, pushrods, toe links, wheel/tires, and a new pinion and spur. Add shock limiters to that list and you can make it into a rally!.... Of course those are just the functional changes, to do the full conversion you would also need the cosmetic parts, like body mounts, body, and bumpers....

If it were me, I would look for a used mini summit or mini revo VXL. (don't even consider the brushed version, the brushless is WAY better) You should be able to find one pretty easily that already has some upgrades for around $200. I got my mini summit used with full RPM A-arms, two 2000mah 2 cell lipos, two 1300mah 3 cell lipos, a decent lipo charger, and a spektrum DX3c, plus an extra spektrum reciver, all for $250....
Old Apr 04, 2015, 01:53 PM
Joined Oct 2014
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
Here is my take on the mini summit vs mini revo....

If you like to do speed runs up and down the street, or you like to race on a groomed track, the mini revo is for you.

If you like to drive on any kind of rough surface, especialy grass, get the mini summit....

Its not that the mini revo doesn't work on real off road surfaces and grass, it does, better than and 1/18 4x4 and most 1/10 2 wheel drives I have tried. Before I tried a mini summit, I was perfectly happy with my mini revos off-road performance.

And its not that you cant do speed runs with the mini summit, 25mph isn't exactly slow for a 1/16 scale.... The one with the red truck body in the pic runs on two 2 cell 2200 packs in parallel, gets 45+ min runtimes, and does 28.5mph..... The other runs on two 2 cell 2000mah packs in parallel, gets 45+ min runtimes, and does 27MPH..... That's not too shabby.

The only downside to the summit vs the mini revo is its easier to flip onto the shiny side (the summit is), but the only time it really wants to flip is if you let off the throttle and then crank the wheel without slowing down first....Ccranking the wheel while on the throttle wont flip it normally. The mini revo of course is pretty easy to flip too, but a little less than the summit.

But, after driving a mini summit, I realized what a huge performance difference there is off road. The difference is bigger than the parts difference would suggest. I think most of the difference is in the tires and extra ground clearance, which of course makes sense since the only functional difference between the two is the tires, stiffer springs, and long travel rockers (along with lower gearing for the larger tires) Nail the throttle on the mini revo on the grass, and it goes pretty good, but with a lot of wheelspin... Nail the throttle on the mini summit on the grass and it will wheely.... lots more traction. The stock mini summit has a 10mm longer wheelbase, but since I have full RPM a-arms on both of mine, they both have a mini revo wheelbase.

The mini revo with upgraded tires, like trenchers, does a lot better off-road than the stock talons, but it is still lacking in ground clearance for obstacles, and bottoms out more due to weaker springs.

All that said, If you get one and change your mind later, you aren't out of luck! Any of the traxxas 1/16 vehicles can be changed to any of the others by replacing just a few parts! If you get a mini revo, you can convert it to a mini summit with just new rockers, springs, pinion, and wheel/tires. You can convert it to a mini slash with just new springs, a-arms, pushrods, toe links, wheel/tires, and a new pinion and spur. Add shock limiters to that list and you can make it into a rally!.... Of course those are just the functional changes, to do the full conversion you would also need the cosmetic parts, like body mounts, body, and bumpers....

If it were me, I would look for a used mini summit or mini revo VXL. (don't even consider the brushed version, the brushless is WAY better) You should be able to find one pretty easily that already has some upgrades for around $200. I got my mini summit used with full RPM A-arms, two 2000mah 2 cell lipos, two 1300mah 3 cell lipos, a decent lipo charger, and a spektrum DX3c, plus an extra spektrum reciver, all for $250....
Thanks for the information! It looks like the summit is the way to go! I looked on eBay I only found one summit, and several revos.
Old Apr 04, 2015, 02:52 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
10,498 Posts
the only weak link on the mini summit is the driveshafts. As the break, you can replace them with the mini revo shafts, which are much stronger.... My summit only has 1 1/2 summit shafts left, never broken a shaft on the one converted from a mini revo, as it already has mini revo shafts....
Old Apr 05, 2015, 11:38 AM
Find More Posts by ApexpretadorGT
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Nov 2014
1,835 Posts
One thing to consider between the Traxxas and other big name brands is that the knock off brands is the parts support, customer support, parts availability, and quality of products. The summit is also completely water proof which adds an extra layer of fun. You can go to virtually any hobby store and buy any part you need for a traxxas while other knock off brands you may have to get it shipped from China which God knows how long that'll take if you even find it.
ApexpretadorGT is online now Find More Posts by ApexpretadorGT
Old Apr 05, 2015, 09:21 PM
Joined Oct 2014
223 Posts
Thanks for the info guys! I'm going to start looking for a used one, maybe a new one if I can't find a used one in good shape. I have to order everything I get, I don't have any hobby shops close to me, I'm dying to go in one, and can hopefully find one when I go on vacation this summer ( may purchase a summit, maybe even the 1/10). There are 3 race tracks within a a few hours of my house, but they have very very parts or models available.
Old Apr 06, 2015, 11:42 PM
Find More Posts by ApexpretadorGT
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Nov 2014
1,835 Posts
The full size summit looks like a lot of fun!
ApexpretadorGT is online now Find More Posts by ApexpretadorGT
Old Apr 07, 2015, 01:22 AM
Joined Oct 2014
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexpretadorGT View Post
The full size summit looks like a lot of fun!
It really does! I don't have 1/10 scale yet, and the summit would probably be my first choice or maybe a savage xs flux. I wouldn't care to have a 1/10 and a 1/16 summit, I've always liked the idea of having different scales of the same model.
Old Apr 07, 2015, 09:26 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
10,498 Posts
Other than in looks, the mini summit really isn't a "mini 1/10 summit"....
For one thing, the mini summit is actually significantly faster than the 1/10 summit.
It also lacks the diff locks, and two speed tranny.

Its much closer to being a mini "revo" than a mini "summit".... Which isn't a bad thing, but if you have a mini summit, and get a 1/10 thinking it will be a bigger badder version of the mini, you will be disappointed....