Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:13 PM
Find More Posts by oopsicrashed
oops i crashed
Chile, Valparaíso, Viña
Joined May 2011
54 Posts
Build Log
1/8 Scale Monett Moni

Well guys, This is my first scratch-build. The first time I built a model was when I was 6 , it was a Gentle Lady Glider. And since then Ive wanted to scratchbuild something. Between Schoolwork and everything else, I havent gotten around to doing it until now. Ive been collecting plans off the internet for a while now and Ive got I pretty big collection. My Craft Class project is make a glider that glides an X amount of time and distance, but since she knows Its my hobby, she let me build it Rc and bigger than the specified Lenghts than the rest of my class. I chose a 1/8 Monett Moni Which puts the wingspan just over 1 Meter (40 Inches). I chose this plan because it simple enough for me as a first scrathbuild, its a slick looking motor glider, and its not too big for my class project. I will be posting pictures as I work. Enjoy. Feel free to ask any questions!
oopsicrashed is offline Find More Posts by oopsicrashed
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:35 PM
oops i crashed
Chile, Valparaíso, Viña
Joined May 2011
54 Posts
Ive been cutting ribs and formers from balsa, not sure if I should make the wing or the Fuselage first. I have the plan in PDF format and I have no problem in sending it in exchange for any other worthwhile plan. I forgot to show a picture of the plan previously so here it is. Sorry about the bad image quality, I took these pics with my ipod. ill take them with the gopro next time!
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:52 PM
Find More Posts by Deuce
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,030 Posts
¡Estoy mirando!

The Moni is elegant in its simplicity!

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:33 AM
oops i crashed
Chile, Valparaíso, Viña
Joined May 2011
54 Posts
Yeah its real simple but it really catches my attention. I think its the fact that its very squared, it looks mean!
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:35 AM
Find More Posts by portablevcb
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,569 Posts
Nice work so far! Nice subject.

This would be one of those that would be interesting done with Aluminum cans. The full size original was designed for a first time Al builder. A lot of the parts were full size Al sheets (the wing panels especially) to minimize cutting. One of those planes I lusted after when in high school. Something I could afford to build and fly. Unfortunately the Army came first

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:10 AM
Find More Posts by guamflyer
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
GUAM.USA
Joined Dec 2009
242 Posts
da moni

all I can say is that u picked a good subject. I built a speed 300 40" ws and it flew great. very aerobatic as a Vee tail..still want to build a larger version to take advantage of the motorglider capabilities..keep goin
guamflyer is offline Find More Posts by guamflyer
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:49 AM
Find More Posts by Keenan smith
was geht , müssen unten kommen
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,971 Posts
Subbed up
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:23 PM
oops i crashed
Chile, Valparaíso, Viña
Joined May 2011
54 Posts
I really appreciate the feedback everyone, and I am very sorry I haven't posted for a while, but I got really caught up on schoolwork. This is no longer a school project and summer just started in the summer hemisphere so I can relax and work on the model. I so far have cut the former's and the ribs. Pictures later today
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:04 PM
Find More Posts by Thomas B
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb View Post

This would be one of those that would be interesting done with Aluminum cans. The full size original was designed for a first time Al builder. A lot of the parts were full size Al sheets (the wing panels especially) to minimize cutting. One of those planes I lusted after when in high school. Something I could afford to build and fly. Unfortunately the Army came first

charlie
We are of like minds about the Moni. I fell in love with it in 1982, one one of the very few trips I have made to the EAA Oshkosh fly in. Was one of the first plans I saw flying in the pattern when I got there.

They are excellent R/C models in any size and do lovely aerobatics.

I built a 1/4 scale Moni (all balsa, OS .40 glow power) with the tricycle landng gear conversion in the mid 1980s. Picture attached. I had it at the Byron Originals Striking Back and Giant Scale Fly in, in 1989. (1/4 scale counts as giant scale.....)

Still have the model, it is still in pretty good shape and it will be converted to electric (Power 25 or Power 32) after some minor restoration one of these days, soon.

To the original poster...good model choice and best of luck with your project!
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Dec 15, 2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:31 PM
oops i crashed
Chile, Valparaíso, Viña
Joined May 2011
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb View Post

charlie
Hey Charlie,

By aluminum cans I assume you mean laminating the surfaces of the airplane right??
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:37 PM
oops i crashed
Chile, Valparaíso, Viña
Joined May 2011
54 Posts
What a great looking model Thomas!! I'm looking forward to seeing the conversion.

Anyway, here are the promised pictures. I cut most of the ribs and sanded them lightly. I decided to put the wing on hold though and tackle the fuse, so I began cutting out the formers. I also left a pick of so far, the nicest paint job of this plane I have found on the web. More coming soon
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:44 PM
oops i crashed
Chile, Valparaíso, Viña
Joined May 2011
54 Posts
Days work so far...

Hey everyone . Woke up to pouring rain so took out the work table and got to it. It seem's i lied to you, and decided to continue with the wings instead of the fuse. My previous Rib cutting did not satisfy me, so I cut them all again and they really came out nice this time. I cut the bottom spars of 5mm balsa. My LHS only supplies 36 cm long balsa strips, so I have to build the wing in to parts and join them in the middle. My plan is to cut the spars in a 45 degree angle. The opposing spar will be inverted so they both fit together and ensure max strength and then glue them together with string and epoxy.

I am also pretty excited for the new Turnigy 9xr to replace my outdated 72mhz Hitec system.

The pics
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:06 AM
Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,292 Posts
oopsicrashed,

Keep up the good work. I also have thought about building a Moni. It has simple lines and a low wing, all features I like very much.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:00 AM
oops i crashed
Chile, Valparaíso, Viña
Joined May 2011
54 Posts
Jim,

It is an extremely simple build as long as you can fiddle around with plans. The fuselage seems to complicate me a bit. I cut out the former's but just don't know where to start!

I found the plan for free on the internet so enjoy It would be cool to see one of you more experienced guys give it a go!
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:40 PM
Find More Posts by racerp51
CrashTest Dummy
Forney, Texas
Joined May 2002
86 Posts
Monnet lives on

John Monnet is still out there designing. The Moni lives on as the Xenos....

http://www.sonexaircraft.com/

I purchased foam cores years ago to build an RC version but never followed through. Might have to dust them off.
racerp51 is offline Find More Posts by racerp51