SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 04, 2015, 05:30 PM
Find More Posts by Dunc Newt
Building a Nottingham J boat
United States, FL, Beverly Hills
Joined Aug 2014
43 Posts
Hard to find fittings

Even though I am an American, I get a lot of stuff from the UK. I love the fittings from the French company called CAP Maquettes, but not much of it gets to us in the States. The delivery time from the UK is not exactly fast but the selection is fabulous and the prices are very good. The winches on my CJ and things like the hand rails, deck grates, etc are from them.
Try these guys: http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk
Dunc Newt is offline Find More Posts by Dunc Newt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2015, 08:23 PM
Find More Posts by dwatson
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
537 Posts
Dunc, beautiful work. If you have any photos on the planking process of your deck would love to see them. I love the scale work.

Great Job!
DW
dwatson is offline Find More Posts by dwatson
Old Jul 06, 2015, 07:02 AM
Joined Aug 2014
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatson View Post
Dunc, beautiful work. If you have any photos on the planking process of your deck would love to see them. I love the scale work.

Great Job!
DW
I worked from the outside and moved in. The piece in the bow was a big help as it gave me my first two planks without having to trim the front end to fit. From there the fitting of the plank to the king plank was more a matter of proper eyeball measurement and a sharp blade.
I had originally planned on doing a herringbone piece along side the king plank but when I got done the two sides were not 100% mirror images so I couldn't do it. I had to settle for a very thin wood strip that I found being used by HO scale railroad modeling.
The stain is "natural" for the planks, golden oak for the accents and red mahogany for the dark parts. The edges of the planks were given a swipe with a black Sharpie to simulate the black pitch that was often used on true teak decks.
Old Jul 07, 2015, 01:22 PM
Joined Aug 2014
43 Posts
Complete building log for my CJ

Follow this link and download the file. It's a PowerPoint movie so you can just click to advance through the slides.
The file wound up being 18.8MB which is way too big for any other form of distribution than an FTP site.

https://www.hightail.com/download/bX...YTJwTVU4RmNUQw
Old Jul 07, 2015, 11:45 PM
Find More Posts by poltergeist
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
798 Posts
Great build log D.N!!!

Interesting how much different the interior deck beams and structure are between Hans' C-J kit and the UK N-J kit. How did the pricing compare? I gather your kit included the plywood deck?

Have you been able to test the sheeting setup? All works OK I hope? Have you had a chance to weigh her?

She sure looks pretty! Look forward to more sailing photos!

Kevin
C-J #551
poltergeist is online now Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Jul 08, 2015, 07:16 AM
Joined Aug 2014
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist View Post
Great build log D.N!!!

Interesting how much different the interior deck beams and structure are between Hans' C-J kit and the UK N-J kit. How did the pricing compare? I gather your kit included the plywood deck?

Have you been able to test the sheeting setup? All works OK I hope? Have you had a chance to weigh her?

She sure looks pretty! Look forward to more sailing photos!

Kevin
C-J #551
She came in a little on heavy side. OK, so she's a tank. The goods thing about the UK "Nottingham" J is that the ballast is inside. So today I will be taking a long wood auger and removing some lead out of the keel. My guy in the UK says that boats that weigh in around 7kg do very well on the racing circuit. Probably because they have a much higher righting moment.

He told me that he bought a mold from NZ, but it was crap so he did his own.
He is also building 60" J. Yesterday he told me that he has already sold over 60 of them in the UK. http://www.jclasshulls.co.uk/home/nottingham-60

Nottingham 48 and Canterbury J
Pricing is in pounds. Today 1 = $1.54

It's the freight that is such a killer.

a) Hull: Finished in white 150

Two tone hull + 25

b) Ballast and trim weight 45

c) Rudder package 50

d) Below Decks wood package (inc stand) 65

e) Deck 60

f) Hatches 50

The full kit includes a number of miscellaneous parts, including mast tube and rudder arm, to complete the model to deck level. The only additional major expenditures are the sail winch and rudder servo (est about 35). The deck fittings and rig (sails, mast, booms etc) will be about 160 subject to your choice of sail maker and the prices charged by them.

g) Full build manual available as a download from this site with no charge

h) Postage and Packaging
Price available on request but as a guide, UK is about 80, EU is about 170 and the rest of the world, including New Zealand and Australia about 210
Last edited by Dunc Newt; Jul 08, 2015 at 08:34 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 03:19 PM
Joined Aug 2014
43 Posts
First time in the pond

Wow, I am going to have to do some weight reduction.
I can remove the deck houses and reduce the weight by 12 oz.
Swapping out my red oak masts for aircraft spruce should also reduce the weight aloft. ( I couldn't get the spruce for a number of months so I had to make do with what was at hand...)
It was taking on water like mad. The way the UK rudder is installed has the rudder shaft coming up through a tube with the rudder crank on the top. I was supposed to put a well greased O-ring in the tube to act as a stop water... well... there is one in there now.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:03 AM
Find More Posts by Bergerboats
Joined Apr 2011
31 Posts
Dunc, I don't understand why you went all the way to England and paid so much when you could have gotten a US Canterbury for much less.
US Price UK Price
Hull = $175. $231
Keel = $35. $65
Rudder =$15. $77
Beams = $45. $100
Stand kit = $50. $00
Shipping any where in the lower48 less than $80. UK shipping$385
This is a total of $400.00 UK total is $858

That is more than twice the cost?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?
Bergerboats is offline Find More Posts by Bergerboats
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:58 AM
Find More Posts by Bergerboats
Joined Apr 2011
31 Posts
The way to stop water from coming in thru the rudder tube is to fill the tube with plumbers grease the kind for hot water fittings. This will not run out in your hot car, or the hot Florida sun. When the boat is not in the water.
Bergerboats is offline Find More Posts by Bergerboats
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:38 AM
Find More Posts by Waikiwi
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2007
106 Posts
Hi

What sort of wind speeds and chop are the cjs okay in? Thanks
Waikiwi is offline Find More Posts by Waikiwi
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:42 AM
Joined Aug 2014
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboats View Post
Dunc, I don't understand why you went all the way to England and paid so much when you could have gotten a US Canterbury for much less.
US Price UK Price
Hull = $175. $231
Keel = $35. $65
Rudder =$15. $77
Beams = $45. $100
Stand kit = $50. $00
Shipping any where in the lower48 less than $80. UK shipping$385
This is a total of $400.00 UK total is $858

That is more than twice the cost?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?
Hello, Hans
Frankly, there were two reasons. (1) I wanted a two tone hull with colors molded into the gelcoat. (2) I didn't trust myself to do a smooth job of blending the external lead to the hull. It just looked way too hard.
Cost wasn't really high on my list of things to consider.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:44 AM
Joined Aug 2014
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboats View Post
The way to stop water from coming in thru the rudder tube is to fill the tube with plumbers grease the kind for hot water fittings. This will not run out in your hot car, or the hot Florida sun. When the boat is not in the water.
Hello, Hans
I do appreciate the tip. I will be testing the O-rings today. I have high hopes. If it fails I will be able to take your kind advice.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:31 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
798 Posts
Interesting, because I don't think my boat as ever taken a drop in from the rudder tube. I wonder if maybe your tube is shorter than mine? My boat takes in a little water through the sides of the main hatch, but even in some relatively strong "B-rig" conditions at the '14 NCR, it was maybe 1/4" of water in the keel stub. I put a small sponge in the bilge and it easily soaked it up so it wouldn't get near the electronics,

I have no O-rings on my rudder post, I did put a little white lithium grease on the shaft as I recall.

Kevin
C-J #551
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:25 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikiwi View Post
Hi

What sort of wind speeds and chop are the cjs okay in? Thanks
I've sailed my C-J in maybe 12kts with both the A-Rig and B-rig. With the A it heeled a lot upwind and was pretty rolly/squirrely downwind. She was much better behaved with the B.....

It's a low freeboard boat, so it will take a lot of water on deck. As long as it's fairly well sealed up they seem to do OK.

The guys in your neck of the woods at http://canterbury-j-class.org.nz/ probably have more experience sailing C-J's in big breeze.

Kevin
C-J #551
Last edited by poltergeist; Jul 16, 2015 at 07:36 PM.