Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:56 AM
Addicted to my hobby
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr-boise View Post
Sweetrex,

Are you accustomed to flying a slick, fast plane that will tip-stall in a nano-second if you try to turn base to final too slow? In my (admittedly limited) experience, this plane will do that.
...Best of luck to you! Let us know how your flights go. This is a terrific plane, but personally, it kept me on pins and needles every time I flew it. Pretty dang responsive, and probably was a bit beyond my abilities.
Thanks for the tips. While I'm not a competition pilot by any stretch of the imagination, I am experienced with various types of planes that require various skills to fly competently.
Just about every maiden flight has me on pins and needles and I'm sure that the day I choose to fly this puppy for the first time will be the day everyone belonging to the North Las Vegas Airfield will be there and the neighbors will all decide to come watch. That's my kind of luck. I don't like to maiden by myself but I don't like a crowd either. I just need one shoulder to cry on if things go bad.
Indeed, there are videos which show this plane landing in that amount of space but to be safe, I'll be landing at another field with a much bigger runway.
Sweetrex is offline Find More Posts by Sweetrex
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:03 AM
Addicted to my hobby
Joined Sep 2009
434 Posts
I see a lot of talk about tip stalls and coming in too slow.
Has anyone tried coming in high on the base, power off, then a turn to final on a short approach? This is normally how I would land. I do this because I have a hard time seeing the plane coming directly at me and a long, low approach has proven difficult for my eyes. If I do this I end up doing a lot of wing rocking and elevator adjustment to keep seeing it. It seems that you would build up more speed from a higher altitude but the turn to final wouldn't be so bad for stalls and since the power is off the speed would bleed off quickly.
Thoughts?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:16 AM
Addicted to my hobby
Joined Sep 2009
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewiens View Post
Yep. If you can touch down right where you want it...
Therein lies the problem. The cactus at the end of the runway on one side and the gully on the other side makes me nervous and I try not to come in too shallow. I've tried it and ended up pulling thorns out of the wings or dirt from the fuse depending on which way the wind was blowing!
Old Mar 19, 2013, 01:06 PM
Argentina, CF
Joined Sep 2011
1 Posts
Hi:

This is what I did: I set up a throttle to elevator mix. About 2%, which indeed help me to trim the plane so she won't climb at full throttle and won't dive to much while gliding. Then I took it a step further and set up the mix fine tuning to be "not so fine" and adjustable trough the slider behind the left stick. Then, when I get into the landing pattern, I use it as you would use the trim tab in a full scale plane: trimming the model in a nose up attitude to slow her down.

I also fly in a 250ft carpeted runaway and I´ve nailed every landing since I've figured this out (about 50 flights ago). I is not really that hard to land, the issue is that it has a wide speed envelope, wider than the average rc model, and slowing her down by just "holding it" with the elevator stick is really hard.

Trade off 1: Obviously, an rx with programmable mixes an sliders is required.
Trade off 2: No so comfortable if you fly "pinch" (I fly "Thumbs")
Trade off 3: You'll never get a stall turn right again......
Mielnic is offline Find More Posts by Mielnic
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:45 PM
Addicted to my hobby
Joined Sep 2009
434 Posts
Interesting idea. I may incorporate that with a different radio. Mine doesn't have sliders. I have a knob but that would require taking a hand off the controls (not a good idea). I'm also a "pincher".
I can envision this working though. There's gotta be something better than line it up and pray for a headwind.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 09:08 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
Heres a short video of my plane taken today. Turnigy 5055/700kv on 7s with mas 13x6 K series prop.
Great planes revolver. (0 min 29 sec)
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Last edited by gewiens; Mar 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:31 AM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
Wow! Is that runway long enough?

I guess it's not quite spring up there yet, eh?
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:46 AM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
Lol. Yup. It's long enough. Last year at this time grass was growing. Not this year though. All this white Crap might be gone finally in a couple of weeks though.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:11 PM
Addicted to my hobby
Joined Sep 2009
434 Posts
Just got mine done

So here's the skinny on my new Revolver:

Motor: GP Rimfire .46
Propeller: Xoar 12x6
ESC: Castle Creations Ice Lite 100
Motor Battery: Nano-Tech A-Spec 6S 3300mAh, Nano-Tech 6S 4000mAh
Receiver Battery: Venom 6v 1200mAh
Servos: Hitec HS5685HB x4
Rx: Hitec Optima 9
Tx: Hitec Aurora 9
Extras: Eagletree Guardian 2D/3D Inertial Stabilizer

The Data logger is showing 2087 watts and 96 Amps at max throttle...amazing. I thought maybe that was a little optimistic but my wattmeter concurred...maybe they're both optimistic?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:22 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
Looking good! Have any issue with the stock spinner being out of balance? I had to use a Hyperion spinner, as the stock aluminum one created quite a vibration.

Can't advise about watts and such, without looking back in this thread for whether I ever posted my results.

Best of luck on the maiden!
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:10 AM
Addicted to my hobby
Joined Sep 2009
434 Posts
I had a vibration but I balanced the prop and it went away.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 04:02 PM
Joined Aug 2014
5 Posts
59" Revolver

Hey Guys, I have a 59" Revolver I just converted to electric after being extremly frustrated with the nitro setup I had. I put in a Rimfire .60, Castle Phoenix Ice 75, and an AR500 Spektrum reciever. Any thoughts on the prop size and battery. The motor will handle a 6S and the ESC an 8S.
BuckN is offline Find More Posts by BuckN
Old Aug 19, 2014, 04:13 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,390 Posts
I run a similar size motor, but with 500Kv, on 6s. I have run a 12x10, 12x12, and recently, a 13x10. I think I like the 12x10 the best. It provides the best performance at the lowest power draw. Thrust is good and speed is really good. The 12x12 felt like there was too much cavitation or prop stall going on and the 13x10 didn't provide the speed I wanted.

With the Rimfire 60 being 650Kv, I think I would look at a 12x8 to start. Watch the amp draw and temperature to start, to make sure you don't over do it, but that size prop is good for the Revolver.
Lardog is offline Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:26 AM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,390 Posts
In case anyone is interested, I have my Revolver listed in the classifieds, BNF...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...65&postcount=1
Lardog is offline Find More Posts by Lardog