HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2005, 08:19 AM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,141 Posts
Finished Dizzy Diesel photos

Here's the finished Dizzy Diesel. I flew it this morning & it's excellent. Even with that big top flite 8X6 and the comp backed off it climbed like the proverbial 'homesick angel'. Very lofty - a real floater. All up weight is about 12 oz icluding radio gear. Please dont hold that radio gear against me! I don't live in the desert, or some other big open space. Plan says 10-11Oz .with 210 sq inches works out to about 8-9 ounces per sq foot loading, which isnt too bad. I took it out again this afternoon and had difficulty getting it down ?! eventually it did come down. The build took less than two weeks.
Cheers.
Snorks is offline Find More Posts by Snorks
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2005, 05:22 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,500 Posts
Thats a credit to you---a very nice build, and my sort of model.
ls it rudder only, or do you have elevator as well, can't quite make it out.
Well done again.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Feb 26, 2005, 12:35 AM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,141 Posts
Thanks Gossie. It's elevator & rudder, with two mini servos (18gm),one either side of the upright web under the TE. I then left a bigger gap between the upright webs supporting the wing , so I could squeeze in the reciever. The battery, a homemade AAA pack sits behind the motor.I use a tiny pressed tin CL trank of about 5 or 6 cc which gives an engine run of around 30-40 seconds. This morning I whent out very early and flew a number of flights & changed the prop to a 7 X 6. After a while I put the 8X6 back on , just seems better.I'm lucky enough to live on a wine estate here with my own private flyining field! Sounds great with 300 plus days of sunshine right? Well, almost... we're dogged by an awful 'south wester' here in the Cape that blows from Nov to Feb - the whole of summer! Anyway, time to decide on the next project. I recieved my partial kit for a 900sq.inch stardust special from bob holman yesterday.I'm also waiting for a plan for a 72" Leprechaun glider to arrive.Are you farmilliar with it.Dick Twoney(?) design.
Cheers
Old Feb 28, 2005, 02:55 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,500 Posts
Yes---l know the Leprechaun, but why are you woosing about with a small one????? Build it BIG---build it for real, get serious. One of our guys (in Melbourne) has a real one, ex F/F, now converted to-----mmmmm, hard for me to say it, R/C. He also has a Thermalist and Frog Diana blown up, l think 3 times, both of course on guidance control.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 12:59 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,582 Posts
Very pretty, Snorks but .. it's covered in shiny PLASTIC! Aaaagh!! Looks well, though.
I agree with Gossie - if you're going to build a 'Leprechaun', build a proper one; it's not much good as a F/F but I hear that they come into their own with (gasp) radio interference .. and the wing makes a good sunshade, anyway.
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Sep 09, 2006, 02:21 PM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,141 Posts
Thanks Vintage my old son. This was one of the models hanging from my roof that needed repairing. Suffice to say that with a little motivation from your own repair I made some time & fixed it.Will fly it tomorrow. Like me, it's a little older, and heavier (ha ha) but should still be able to hold a good account of itself when it matters.
Cheers
Simon
Old Sep 17, 2006, 11:22 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,518 Posts
Beautiful Snorks reminds me of 2 that i built very similar for this gent about 30 years ago maybe even longer for fai comps' I dont even know if hes still around he may have better wings now JOHN ST CLAIR.
LIVED AT ST VINCENTS PLACE.
STH MELB.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Sep 18, 2006, 02:32 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,500 Posts
I knew John StClair. He was in the VFFS (Victorian Free Flight Society) in the 70s, into about the mid 8os, when he sold his freeflight stuff off and just "went missing".

I bought quite a few things from him, but can't remember a Dizzy Diesel, or a Leprechaun. Neither though are FAI models though, but would be okay for OZ Vintage, something I remember John was very keen on. He had quite a good Sugarfoot with an Elfin 1.8 original in it. Look him up in the phone book.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 06:06 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,518 Posts
thanks gossie ,I did say similar definately not the same, these were kits supplied by him for use with cox motors but the memory just cant recall the name ,he had a very nice engine collection also,i might just try the phone but its been a long time so i dont hold much hope.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Sep 18, 2006, 05:52 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,500 Posts
Brain wave, brain wave olmod. Last I heard of him he was in Croydon.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 10:32 AM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,141 Posts
Maybe it was a Keil Kraft Slicker you were thinking of Olmod - thats what everyone thinks this is...
Old Oct 03, 2006, 03:33 PM
Gloucestershire, UK
Joined Oct 2006
37 Posts
Leprechaun plans/pics

Hi,

I'm looking for plans & pics of the Leprechaun free flight glider. My Dad built one way back in the 60's, and I would like to build an RC version.

Anyone know where I could find any material or info on this model?

Thanks,

Simon
simonc94 is offline Find More Posts by simonc94