HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2014, 09:58 PM
United States, KY, Cadiz
Joined Nov 2011
93 Posts
Discussion
help with soldering ? is this the correct form?

Hello , I keep having problems with getting solder to stick to the wire, just getting the wire tinted is hard. One set will solder up normally then the next is like the wire is contaminated ? I am kinda self taught so I am not even sure I am using the correct type of solder or temps ? Any tips would be great. thanks jeff
rockyboy2 is offline Find More Posts by rockyboy2
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2014, 10:03 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,252 Posts
1. clean surfaces thoroughly - use sandpaper.
2. use a 40W iron, minimum.
3. make sure you heat the wire and let the heat transfer to the solder held on top of it. then the solder melts and bathes the wire. if you touch the solder directly you will get a cold joint.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Oct 03, 2014, 10:07 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,333 Posts
When I solder I always have a damp sponge at my side.

Having a dirty crusted black tip is going to be a uphill battle and a quick run of the sponge over it makes it bright, shiny and clear.

In soldering Cleanliness is everything.
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Oct 03, 2014, 10:10 PM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,763 Posts
What kind of wire? If you are trying to solder magnet wire, then the coating can be very hard to remove. If regular insulated wire, from which you have stripped the insulation, it should be shiny metal. If it is dull or blackened, it has oxidized, and you need to dip in in a bit of flux.
Wintr is offline Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Oct 03, 2014, 10:12 PM
I just want to fly
United States, MN, Eden Prairie
Joined Oct 2008
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyboy2 View Post
Hello , . . . . One set will solder up normally then the next is like the wire is contaminated ? I am kinda self taught so I am not even sure I am using the correct type of solder or temps ? Any tips would be great. thanks jeff
Yes, the wire is contaminated, in a manner of speaking.

Two things that are important are proper heat; not too much, not too little and rosin core solder.
Also it is good to use a rosin flux. This will clean the wire (de-contaminate, if you will) and help the solder to flow.

To tin the wire; after stripping the insulation off, dip the wire into the flux or if you are using a liquid flux wet the wire with it. Now touch the wire to the hot iron tip and add solder.

To make a connection; tin both surfaces to be joined then heat one and when the solder on that surface is flowing bring the other to it and remove the heat when the solder has flowed on both. Keep everything still until it is solid.

For small wire like servo leads etc. use an iron less than 40 Watts. For large wire like battery and ESC leads use over 40 Watts, more like 60 W.

Also what 1320fastback wrote.

And don't keep the heat on the joint longer than is necessary.
Rhea is offline Find More Posts by Rhea
Last edited by Rhea; Oct 03, 2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2014, 11:00 PM
Joined Jan 2014
102 Posts
Get yourself a roll of good old-fashioned 63:37 leaded solder, just don't breath it in. All of your problems will be solved. No need for flux, no cleaning, no fuss. Just head it up and flow it on.
jono20 is offline Find More Posts by jono20
Old Oct 03, 2014, 11:17 PM
United States, KY, Cadiz
Joined Nov 2011
93 Posts
wow! thanks for all the info guys. My solder very old so I think will pick up some new stuff and practice . My soldering iron is adjustable and I think the dial is in temp not watts ?
Old Oct 03, 2014, 11:24 PM
Joined Jan 2014
102 Posts
If you ever make HobbyKing orders this iron is an unbelievably good value. Best money I've ever spent there.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...arehouse_.html
Old Oct 03, 2014, 11:30 PM
Joined Jan 2014
102 Posts
This might help you a little bit. It's an unrelated video of mine but it shows how the soldering process should look. Quick, clean, and the solder should get sucked into the gaps.

I was using a giant soldering gun here because I didn't want to plug in my smaller one (didn't have that awesome HK soldering station yet!) but it works the same, you just need to be fast.

http://youtu.be/lQroCVV1QZ0?t=5m23s
Old Oct 03, 2014, 11:40 PM
United States, KY, Cadiz
Joined Nov 2011
93 Posts
just checked weller ec1002 its a old 60 watt adj and the dial goes 350-850degrees F . Larger wire higher temp ?
Old Oct 03, 2014, 11:41 PM
Joined Jan 2014
102 Posts
That iron should be perfectly fine, it's actually pretty darn good assuming the tip is in decent condition. What kind of solder are you using.

You can run it at about mid-range or crank the temp way up. Higher heat can make things easier you just need to move quickly so you don't overheat components.
Old Oct 03, 2014, 11:54 PM
United States, KY, Cadiz
Joined Nov 2011
93 Posts
just ordered some of that old fashioned leaded stuff you suggested . Found it on amazon $4.95 . Got to love amazon !
Old Oct 03, 2014, 11:56 PM
Joined Jan 2014
102 Posts
Haha yeah. It makes a big difference. They stopped selling it in most places because it IS leaded, it's not good for you, but be smart. Don't breath in the fumes and don't like... lick it or something.
Old Oct 03, 2014, 11:57 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,252 Posts
you'd be surprised. several package deals, airframes, components, are also cheaper on amazon.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Oct 04, 2014, 12:03 AM
United States, KY, Cadiz
Joined Nov 2011
93 Posts
yea amazon with prime and the free two day shipping is where I look first.