SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 12, 2014, 08:39 PM
crazygary
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Aug 2011
285 Posts
Build Log
Academy 1/350 OHP

O.K.! Just transitionong from a "question" thread to a full on "build" thread! I really wasn't ready to do this yet, but.....by "popular" demand???????? Hah!!

Anyway, progress is pretty slow as I'm trying to figure out her running gear arrangement first, and will progress a bit quicker from there! This was just a "fill-in" while waiting for deck fittings to arrive for my Dumas USS Whitehall, the build log of which is on the subdriver forum site!

Here are pix of progress so far:

Hull length and width! Pretty small! Hah!!
Removed all unnecessary deck to save as much weight as I can!
Hull, foredeck and 01 level.
Running components I'll be using! Motor is a Mabuchi 130, RX is a 2.4GHZ from Hobby King, the ESC I've had alying around for a while and works very nicely, and the battery is a Turnigy Nano-Tech 1S Lipo, which will be replaced with a 2S version of the same type, as the motor wants to see at least 6V.

Right now, I'm working on her prop shaft and strut assembly! Drilled out the factory strut to 1/16", as well as the hole through the hull, for a piece of 1/16" brass tubing, which will be "filled" with a 1/32" brass rod prop shaft! Will upload pix of this tomorrow!

All for now! Any comments greatly appreciated!!

CG
crazygary is offline Find More Posts by crazygary
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2014, 09:43 PM
Sometimes I am the weapon
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygary View Post
O.K.! Just transitionong <--easy for you to say from a "question" thread to a full on "build" thread! I really wasn't ready to do this yet, but.....by "popular" demand???????? Hah!!

Anyway, progress is pretty slow as I'm trying to figure out her running gear arrangement first, and will progress a bit quicker from there! This was just a "fill-in" while waiting for deck fittings to arrive for my Dumas USS Whitehall, the build log of which is on the subdriver forum site! <--wrong answer right there. Move it to RCG, come on!

Here are pix of progress so far:

Hull length and width! Pretty small! Hah!! Yep. I think you're crazy enough to do it.
Ambitious project... that can only be pulled off by someone crazy. I know I wouldn't try it.

I like your 'Cheap Chinese ESC'. Got one of the 10A ones myself but never tried it yet.
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:14 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
I'm watching this build.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:11 AM
crazygary
Joined Aug 2011
285 Posts
G'Mornin', Harq!!

Spell checker???? We doan need no steenkin' spell checker!! HaHaHa!!! The old mans fingers done got ahead of hims CPU!! (LOL) Of, well!! Poop happens!! Hah!!

Yeah, the el-cheap-o Chinese esc! I only picked up on it 'cuz it was so cheap!! Works pretty well, tho'! I dropped it in my Dumas Carol Moran tug for her "shakedown" cruise, and it functioned well, but, it did get kinda "warm"!! Must not like to play nicely with the Dumas 4.8v motor pushin' a weighted-down tug!! Will replace it with a Micro Viper 10!
I'll give it a shot with the OHP as it's running a that little Mabuchi 130 with a little Nano-Tech 2S Lipo!!?? It may be happier with a Lipo, too?? I'm running a 4-cell Ni-Cad in the tug.

My "crazygary" tag didn't come easy!! I'll try pretty much anything once...twice if I can get away with it!! Hah!! I've gotten part way into developing a 1" diameter WTC for a pretty small model sub, that I was told couldn't be done!! See!! That was all I needed to hear for me to go ahead with it and make it happen!! Hard-headed old Paisan, I guess!!

If I can figure out how I might be able to move my Whitehall build log from where it is now, to the RCG site, I'd do it in a heartbeat!! Any suggestions, other than starting the log over?? The deck fittings, and such, that I've been waiting for, arrived in the mail yesterday, so will be back to the Whitehall pretty soon. OHP may, or may not, take a back burner to it??? (Film at eleven!!)
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:18 AM
crazygary
Joined Aug 2011
285 Posts
Hiya, Millertime!!

Where do you run your boats?? I'm in the foothills very near Humphreys Station and am unaware of a local body of water for model boaters! Millerton Lake seems a bit too big and busy!! Hah!!
Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:41 PM
Sometimes I am the weapon
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,064 Posts
Quote:
Hiya, Millertime!!

Mmm, I think you're right.

Ok, back to the OHP...
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Harquebus; Jun 15, 2014 at 06:11 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:49 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
Garry, I belong to the Sierra Model Yacht Club, Visalia, Ca,
http://sierramyc.tripod.com/

Our thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...23844&page=128

I have a pond north of Sanger.
Flitecraft Outlaw (1 min 5 sec)

PM me for more info.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 09:58 AM
crazygary
Joined Aug 2011
285 Posts
G'Mornin', Millertime!!

Seriously quick boat ya got there!! Gees!! I used to work in Campbell, CA, very close to the percolation ponds, and one of the ponds was set aside for a model boat club that ran all manner of gas powered boats!! Prety impressive, a lot of them, but w-a-y too fast for me to want to try and keep track of!! Hah!! Really neat stuff, though!!

Your yacht club's pond looks to be a nice, serene, relaxing place to hang out and sail! May well take a drive out there one of these Sundays, and hang out, observe and probably get inspired to try my hand at a build!!? Just what I need! Another reason to continue neglecting my model railroad!! (LOL) Haven't devoted any time to finishing my layout in quite a while now!! Darned r/c boats keep getting in the way!! Hah!!

I know absolutely nothing about r/c sailboats, but would be interested in something informational akin to "R/C Sailing For Dummies"!! Would appreciate if you may be able to point me in a direction!!!

Have a nice relaxing weekend!
Old Jun 15, 2014, 02:15 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
Come on down to Plaza park any Sunday it's right by the airport.
There is always a extra sailboat for walk up's.
The club came up to our pond a couple years ago.

Sierra Model Yacht Club North 2012 (4 min 9 sec)
Old Jun 15, 2014, 09:50 AM
crazygary
Joined Aug 2011
285 Posts
Great looking spot!
Not sure I can handle that much relaxation!! Hah!!

Pretty slick "rescue tug", too!!

Have a Happy Fathers Day!!

Gary
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:28 AM
crazygary
Joined Aug 2011
285 Posts
Back again, Millertime!!

Just wanted to ask if your sailing group sails specific models, or if you can just "run what ya brung"?!!

I think the sailing bug has been nibbling on me a little, so I placed a bid, on Ebay, for an older Dumas Hudson 24 kit. Mine is the first bid, and is for only $9.99. The box is in pretty rough shape, but the seller seems to feel that all of the parts are there. It was, apparently, the seller's dads kit whom, I assume, has passed, and he is cleaning out old belongings.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask your opinion as to whether this boat would work well within your circle of boaters. I'm not looking to do any racing, but rather just to enjoy relaxing with a group of like minded gents, and sharing stories!!

Thank you for any input!
Have a great day!
Gary
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:50 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
We currently sail Fairwind 900, IOM, ODOM's and Victoria Thunder Tiger.
I don't think I could recommend the Dumas Hudson.
A lot of the guys are getting the Joysway Dragon Force, I think it is a good boat.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEALL&P=0

I'm not into racing, sail boating is very relaxing. I sail a Thunder Tiger Voyager that I bought off one of the members of the club used for $125.
I've had my Voyager for about 4 years and I'm happy with it.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 09:03 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Wrexham
Joined May 2007
80 Posts
Well you did ask for comments!

I used the 10a version of that speed controller in a few of my conversions (Lindberg Minesweeper, and Nichimo JMSDF Takatsuki Destroyer, soon to be followed by a few more I'm sure!), it has excellent driveability, tho' I can't speak about the 20a version. I rate the 10a very highly indeed for these sorts of conversions. Delivered to the UK I can get very nearly 5 of the 10a ESCs for the price of one 10a Mtroniks Viper. I rate the Mtroniks very highly too, but it is quite a bit heavier, and where every hundredth of an ounce counts….

Take the casing off any component that doesn't need it, like the ESC and the RX. Weight is going to be critical in that OHP - I've got one here, and it is tiny! Try and make the cable runs as short as possible for the same reason.

I'd recommend looking at a Mabuchi FA 130, they are much lighter - but make sure you get one with carbon brushgear. As an aside, and completely useless to you, but a 280 motor runs VERY well on 1s lipo and those 10a ESCs, the 130s seem to need a volt or so more to be useful.
Robert Davies is offline Find More Posts by Robert Davies
Old Jun 17, 2014, 09:27 AM
crazygary
Joined Aug 2011
285 Posts
Good morning, Robert!

Thank you for your comments! Always useful information to be had from fellow modelers!!

The 280 motor you referred to, would that be a Graupner speed 280??? I have 2 of those motors, but chose the little 130 as it's much smaller. Not being all that
"up-to-speed" on the smaller motors, I was not sure! Or would you be referring to a flat, can type in a 280 size!!

The small 2S Lipos which I ordered, have arrived but I am currently working on my Dumas Whitehall, so have not had the opportunity to try them together.

You input would be most appreciated!
Have a good day!
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:55 AM
United Kingdom, Wales, Wrexham
Joined May 2007
80 Posts
Hi Gary,

Sadly the 280 round can, that I was speaking of, would be much too (physically) big for the OHP - I don't use Graupner specifically, because you cannot get them readily over here! Otherwise the 280 I use is very similar to the Graupner.

The FA 130 is a flat can two piece design with a plastic endpiece where the brushgear is.

The 130 is generally a VERY robust motor - I've used them in slotcars for hour after hour at crazy loads and speeds

A tip for converters of plastic kits to RC - apart from where the main armaments are located, hold the deck pieces up to the light. Do you see lots of little holes? Like behind the anchor hawse holes etc? Blank them off from below the deck with tiny ten thou' squares of plasticard. Those pin locator holes can let in a surprising amount of water, sometimes even when they have the item pin located in it! Same thing on the hull, blank off the anchor holes, and pretty much everywhere else that isn't a rudder or propshaft.

It's much easier to do this during construction, than after rescuing your boat from a watery grave.

Voice of experience…

Quote:
Good morning, Robert!

Thank you for your comments! Always useful information to be had from fellow modelers!!

The 280 motor you referred to, would that be a Graupner speed 280??? I have 2 of those motors, but chose the little 130 as it's much smaller. Not being all that
"up-to-speed" on the smaller motors, I was not sure! Or would you be referring to a flat, can type in a 280 size!!

The small 2S Lipos which I ordered, have arrived but I am currently working on my Dumas Whitehall, so have not had the opportunity to try them together.

You input would be most appreciated!
Have a good day!
Robert Davies is offline Find More Posts by Robert Davies