SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:31 AM
Joined Dec 2013
7 Posts
Discussion
Can plugging a servo backwards into the receiver, short out an esc?

Here's the breakdown. Hobbyking SU-35, two 70 mm EDFs, two 60 amp ESCs, and a 4 cell lipo just to test the servos; later I will use a 6 cell. My flysky th9x quit working, so I used an old banana hobby 8 ch transmitter and receiver to test servos. I connected the plane just as I did with the flysky, with the flysky no problems, but when connected to banana's remote, I was testing a new elevator servo. When I first plugged it in, the other elevator servo began to twitch uncontrollably. I knew I had it in backwards and turned the plugin around and re-plugged it into the receiver. With in minutes the plane let out a pop noise and the plane was dead. I separated the esc's and motors, tested them and found one esc not working. I plugged the other working esc in again and it started smoking. Unplugged it immediately and luckily it still works. I'm starting to think banana hobbys cheap china crap is the cause. But I don't think just plugging a servo in backwards would cause the short? Is there a voltage cutout, short-out protection on an esc? Or is it fried? Any other way to test?
Cwupilot is offline Find More Posts by Cwupilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2013, 08:20 AM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,864 Posts
Not really the right forum for a discussion like this, but plugging a servo into the receiver backwards will not damage anything -- not even the servo (assuming the positive lead is in the center as with all modern servos I know of).

Connecting the motor battery with reversed polarity certainly can, and usually does, kill the esc.

Good luck,
Lenny
Lenny970 is offline Find More Posts by Lenny970