Joined Mar 2010
2,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlnoki View Post
I used the bolt on prop adapter.
no mods needed.
I use this one: http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...with-ubec.html
Thanks.
Its nice that the motor uses the same X mount pattern. It seemed slightly larger than the stock motor, but you can't ask for better than a drop in.
ltc is offline Find More Posts by ltc
Old Jun 16, 2014, 06:51 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,563 Posts
request for a little help

Hi,
Could someone with a stock Arcus do a quick check for me?

While swapping out the 900kV motor with the HobbyKing 850kV motor, I wasn't expecting there to be washers hiding between the X mount and the plastic firewall

I "think" there were 2 washers on the top left and 2 washers on the bottom left.
Based on the gap between the spinner and the cowling, this looks to be correct.
Lots of right thrust and looks to be about zero to very slightly down thrust with the new motor installed.
(the Hobbyking 850kV is the same size, weight, bolt pattern, X mount and prop adapter as the stock 900kV)

Can someone take a quick look and verify these washer locations?
Thanks in advance.

BTW, with the Glacier 4s 1800 30C, a Xoar 12x7 (Falcon 12x7 carbon fiber props shipped today), stock ESC and the 850kV motor, the wattmeter was showing 425-440watts at about 32 amps at full throttle (ATV set to 95% on my throttle channel). Just about what eCalc had predicted and within the max rating of the motor. Don't think I'll be in full throttle for very long (seems to have more than enough power to weight )
Old Jun 23, 2014, 03:27 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
2,563 Posts
Nothing better than a maiden flight that puts a smile on your face.
10 mph winds, but it flew beautifully. The 850kV motor, 12x6 CF prop, Glacier 4s/1800 all worked great.

If this plane is ever scaled up in size and offered, I will be first in line to order one.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 04:58 PM
Aerodynamically challenged
3D World, Florida
Joined May 2005
3,183 Posts
Already called dibs-you'll have to take second or third behind me and Blake!LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post

If this plane is ever scaled up in size and offered, I will be first in line to order one.
3Deranged is offline Find More Posts by 3Deranged
Old Aug 22, 2014, 01:27 AM
Australia, VIC, Ferntree Gully
Joined Nov 2010
179 Posts
Been flying for a while, Arcus met the criteria for a (sacrificable) plane to see if pattern might excite me.
ordered monday, delivered thursday, built and maidened Friday.
I did use 4S batteries rather than 3S, and no shortage of power. flies best on 1/2 to 2/3 throttle, Nice round loops, no coupling in rolls, lands and takes off like a dream.
tracks straight and true. only four flights today just to prove it. tomorrow another few flights, this time I will use full rates. Very vice free airframe. from initial setup, just needed three clicks of down, one of left rudder. would like a longer flight time, I am getting 6 minutes.
suggestions?
peterreebok is online now Find More Posts by peterreebok
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:07 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
2,563 Posts
6 minutes should be enough to complete a full sequence.
That's about what I am getting with my 4s 1800 with 12x6 prop...and that is charging to 4.1V and landing at 3.8V per cell.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 08:29 PM
United States, CA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterreebok View Post
Been flying for a while, Arcus met the criteria for a (sacrificable) plane to see if pattern might excite me.
ordered monday, delivered thursday, built and maidened Friday.
I did use 4S batteries rather than 3S, and no shortage of power. flies best on 1/2 to 2/3 throttle, Nice round loops, no coupling in rolls, lands and takes off like a dream.
tracks straight and true. only four flights today just to prove it. tomorrow another few flights, this time I will use full rates. Very vice free airframe. from initial setup, just needed three clicks of down, one of left rudder. would like a longer flight time, I am getting 6 minutes.
suggestions?
Well, what's the verdict - does pattern excite you?
HouseOf4Doors is offline Find More Posts by HouseOf4Doors
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:38 PM
Australia, VIC, Ferntree Gully
Joined Nov 2010
179 Posts
So far, seems a better task than just flying around. hey I might even learn something about control!.

seriously, it amazes me how many people cant fly a straight and level pass down the field, do a procedure turn, or do 3 loops in the same axis.
I decided to take matters into my own hands and make myself a more controlled pilot.
may not be able to influence anyone else, but I can improve my skills instead. Already have learnt about setup, approach and maintaining position by using less and less input on the controls. certainly cant hurt.
peterreebok is online now Find More Posts by peterreebok
Last edited by peterreebok; Aug 23, 2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2014, 02:24 PM
United States, CA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2007
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterreebok View Post
so far, seems a better task than just flying around. Hey i might even learn something about control!.

Seriously, it amazes me how many people cant fly a straight and level pass down the field, do a procedure turn, or do 3 loops in the same axis.
I decided to take matters into my own hands and make myself a more controlled pilot.
May not be able to influence anyone else, but i can improve my skills instead. Already have learnt about setup, approach and maintaining position by using less and less input on the controls. Certainly cant hurt.
awesome!
HouseOf4Doors is offline Find More Posts by HouseOf4Doors