HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2013, 08:31 AM
Sweden, Skåne County, Malmö
Joined Feb 2013
340 Posts
Discussion
Submarines in 30 feet of water?

I found a nice Place to run my U-boat in, but it is 30feet Deep, does the radio signal reach down there?

Or what can I do to get full Control at that deep?

Today do I use radios in 35-, 40-, 433Mhz and 2,4Ghz. but for my sub do I use 35Mhz.

Ken
Kenneth Eriksson is online now Find More Posts by Kenneth Eriksson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2013, 10:33 AM
Mesa Falcon Fld, Arizona, United States
Joined Sep 2004
426 Posts
Ken,

Under the right conditions a radio in that frequency band can penetrate the water that deep. The less electrically conductive the water, the better the radio reception. Most people, there are some, do not run their boats that deep as they cannot see them to be able to navigate them. To ensure that a boat does not go too deep and loose radio contact, they install a failsafe device that commands the ballast tanks to be emptied in the event of lost radio contact. The other issue is that you might want to make sure that your seals and other mechanical components can handle that depth without leaking. Also, if you do for some reason loose the boat at that depth, do you have an ability to retrieve it.

It sounds like you have found a nice place, I do not want to discourage you from running there, just be sure to have a plan for the things I mentioned above.
Aeroengineer1 is offline Find More Posts by Aeroengineer1
Old Jun 07, 2013, 11:23 AM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
905 Posts
Why do want to go that deep? I find beyond about three or four feet, there is no real advantage, and unless the surface is like a mill pond, it will be difficult to see what your boat is actually doing.
Sub culture is offline Find More Posts by Sub culture
Old Jun 07, 2013, 01:13 PM
Joined Feb 2013
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub culture View Post
Why do want to go that deep? I find beyond about three or four feet, there is no real advantage, and unless the surface is like a mill pond, it will be difficult to see what your boat is actually doing.
It is a water filled hole, where they broke stone for some time ago. The depth is 30feet all over the pound with fresh water and is like 100 to 60 meter in size.

I like to have control in case I come deep, therefore my question, I have been at 12 feet but there is a big different to 30 feet. I also belive the sub can handle the pressure.

So you belive I have control down there, what do you think about the distance out in the pond, Do you also think I have range to the other side at about 60 meter?

I will try to connect a wired waterprof camera and view on screen what sub is seeing, at moment do I have 25 m Cable to it, but thinking of extend it if it work.

As you see it is a smal project I thinking of.
Ken
Old Jun 07, 2013, 01:58 PM
Joined Jul 2004
270 Posts
All I know is,, that when my father was building houses and installing new cast iron boilers, we would roll them on scrap pieces of PVC drain pipe and that weight would not bother the PVC pipe. So what is the pressure of the water at 30 feet?? can't be much. but I would think it would go 30 feet without issues. 10 meters is max for a Neptune SB-1 so that is more than 30 feet. So I would say put a string and a bobbin on it somewhere incase it sinks you an pull it up and not have to scuba dive.
shaneperch is offline Find More Posts by shaneperch
Old Jun 07, 2013, 02:13 PM
Mesa Falcon Fld, Arizona, United States
Joined Sep 2004
426 Posts
30' is approximately one atmosphere increase in pressure. 14.7psi does not seem like much until you consider that it is 83 lbs of pressure on a 3" diameter end cap and 141 lbs of pressure on the outer cylinder wall of the same diameter 15 inches long. It can be handled for sure, it is just something to be aware of.

Adam
Aeroengineer1 is offline Find More Posts by Aeroengineer1
Old Jun 07, 2013, 06:25 PM
Joined Jul 2004
270 Posts
I'd hate to think what the pressure is on the hull of Alvin when she went down to the Titanic.
Old Jun 07, 2013, 06:31 PM
Rochester,NY
Joined Apr 2007
284 Posts
I would also be concerned about the water pressure effecting the ballast system. Can the air pump supply enough pressure at that depth or can the water pump overcome the pressure? I don't know what you are using and I don't have answers but I'm just putting the thought out there
Greg W is offline Find More Posts by Greg W
Old Jun 07, 2013, 06:47 PM
Joined Jul 2004
270 Posts
I am sure that a peristaltic pump could overcome that pressure.
Old Jun 07, 2013, 11:19 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,459 Posts
At one atmosphere (30 ft) the air in a full ballast tank will be squeezed into half the original volume. So to 'fill' the ballast tank at 30 ft, you need to pump twice the volume of air than you need at the surface, and as you ascend that air will simply blow off if you don't compress it back in again. Keep that in mind.
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Jun 08, 2013, 03:24 AM
Joined Feb 2013
340 Posts
Don't worry about the sub, you all of topic.

The question was about radio control!
Ken
Old Jun 08, 2013, 07:53 AM
Joined Jul 2004
270 Posts
No that question was answered, It was depended upon the condition of the water. The lower the frequency the better it will reach the sub.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 09:52 PM
George Jure
Hamilton, Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
290 Posts
Hello

I`ve been reading this post and No one has mentioned the fact that the author mentioned cast iron boilers being dumped in that water hole years ago. Never mind the chance of being caught on something down there what about the fact that if the metal in anyway "could have been magnetized" or have other signal affecting properties then your sub could be lost because of a radio dead zone.

It`s better to run a sub on the side of caution and know what`s in your water better. Even the old experts still get caught in grass in the props.

George
George Jure is offline Find More Posts by George Jure
Old Jun 12, 2013, 01:45 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Jure View Post
Hello

I`ve been reading this post and No one has mentioned the fact that the author mentioned cast iron boilers being dumped in that water hole years ago. Never mind the chance of being caught on something down there what about the fact that if the metal in anyway "could have been magnetized" or have other signal affecting properties then your sub could be lost because of a radio dead zone.

It`s better to run a sub on the side of caution and know what`s in your water better. Even the old experts still get caught in grass in the props.

George
better re-read that George, it wasn't the author who mentioned the iron boilers, or said they were dumped in his pond.

the thing that i would be concerned with is the "60m away" while at depth of 30 feet.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Jun 12, 2013, 06:06 AM
Joined Sep 2004
379 Posts
FYI

some related discussion

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1493866
Carcharadon is offline Find More Posts by Carcharadon