Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:59 AM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,603 Posts
Discussion
Building an engine from plans?

Hi guys,

Has anyone built either of these steam engines? Whats your opinion, do you think either would make a good marine engine for RC boat use? The first one looks rather simple, but could be made into a twin for more power. There is a raw materials kit available. The second is a twin that doesn't require castings to build. But neither has reverse gear? Not sure how you would gedt reverse without some sort of transmission.

Pete

Little Machine Shop oscillating engine:
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ProductID=3484
http://swarfrat.com/VariableTwin.htm

Or this more complex "no castings" twin cylinder:
Two Cylinder Marine Steam Engine (2 min 1 sec)

Plans here.
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
Last edited by blutoh; Oct 03, 2012 at 01:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:55 PM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoh View Post
Hi guys,

Has anyone built either of these steam engines? Whats your opinion, do you think either would make a good marine engine for RC boat use? The first one looks rather simple, but could be made into a twin for more power. There is a raw materials kit available. The second is a twin that doesn't require castings to build. But neither has reverse gear? Not sure how you would gedt reverse without some sort of transmission.

Pete

Little Machine Shop oscillating engine:
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ProductID=3484
http://swarfrat.com/VariableTwin.htm

Or this more complex "no castings" twin cylinder:
http://youtu.be/_TwRhMlzf58

Plans here.
Hi Pete,
The twin cylinder engine looks very much as tho' it's influenced by Stuart Turners launch engine which at the bore and stroke you will need a big boiler to keep up with the engines needs.

Being a piston valve engine if the designer had made it with outside admission he could have done away with the uniflow exhausts in the side of the cylinder and exhausted it thro' the piston valve and then it's a simple job to make a reversing valve which changes the steam from the inlet to the exhaust and makes it reversible.
If you have never made an engine before and you don't have machining facilities I would suggest that you start on something simpler.

Here are some pics of a Launch engine nearly completed.

George.
ooyah is offline Find More Posts by ooyah
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:15 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,272 Posts
Hi Pete,
If you look in the Books thread I have listed a number of plans that can be downloaded, some of the books also have excellent plans and instructions.
Regards,
Gerald.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:08 AM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,603 Posts
Thanks George and Gerald.

The book thread is a great resource. I can see I have a LOT of reading to do. Earlier this summer I picked up a hobbyist lathe/mill combo tool at a garage sale, and thought maybe I would look into applying it to do something in conjunction with my model boating interests. I see now that I have a big learning curve ahead of me, but thats what makes it all so interesting

Thanks.
Pete
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:35 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Thanks George and Gerald.

The book thread is a great resource. I can see I have a LOT of reading to do. Earlier this summer I picked up a hobbyist lathe/mill combo tool at a garage sale, and thought maybe I would look into applying it to do something in conjunction with my model boating interests. I see now that I have a big learning curve ahead of me, but thats what makes it all so interesting

Thanks.
Pete
Which "hobbyist lathe/mill combo tool " did you pick up?
Regards,
Gerald.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:07 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2008
273 Posts
Pet I found another plan.
http://www.machinistblog.com/bogstan...-engine-plans/
this looks like a nice engine.

Henk.
Henk Goosen is offline Find More Posts by Henk Goosen
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:38 AM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,603 Posts
Gerald,

It's a Unimat 3. It has a milling attachment and a jig saw attachment. A little surface rust on the milling column, but nothing I can't clean up. Theres some other accessories as well, live center, support thingie wil three adjustable arms and a few others. I am looking for a manual so I can identify all the pieces. I found a few web sites with parts and accessories, but no manual. The Unimat looks like it was barely used. I paid $20 for it, so even if I only use it to learn on, I figure it's still not a bad deal.

Henk,
Thanks, that looks interessting, maybe a good project to get my feet wet. I downloaded the pdfs and I am going to read thru it tonight.

Pete
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:35 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2008
273 Posts
Pete I downloaded the plans to, but first I build this one. It is the French wobbler plans from the John Tom engine site.
The Emco Unimat 3 is a fantastic little lathe, I have the predecessor the 4 which I use for clock repair.
Henk Goosen is offline Find More Posts by Henk Goosen
Last edited by Henk Goosen; Oct 07, 2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:08 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Gerald,

It's a Unimat 3. It has a milling attachment and a jig saw attachment. A little surface rust on the milling column, but nothing I can't clean up. Theres some other accessories as well, live center, support thingie wil three adjustable arms and a few others. I am looking for a manual so I can identify all the pieces. I found a few web sites with parts and accessories, but no manual. The Unimat looks like it was barely used. I paid $20 for it, so even if I only use it to learn on, I figure it's still not a bad deal.

Henk,
Thanks, that looks interessting, maybe a good project to get my feet wet. I downloaded the pdfs and I am going to read thru it tonight.

Pete
Pete you must have been in a pirate outfit at that price. I have seen tham go for over $200 (thats when I stoped biding as that was as high as my budget would go). They are a great little machine, I have its bigger brother the emco compact 5 without the milling colum that I payed $1200 for years back. I haven't seen a manual for one recently but I have asked on my Model engineering group forum if I can borrow one to scan. There is a book "Book 32 Unimat III Lathe Accessories (WPS)" That may be helpfull. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/newre...ply&p=22935231
Regards,
Gerald.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:01 AM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,603 Posts
Gerald,

It was one of those rare lucky finds. I stopped at a freinds house and across the street was a garage sale. I nosed around and there it was, all thrown in a cardboard box like trash. I aksed how much and the woman hesitated and said $20. I summoned up all of my negotiating skils and said "sold!". It's probably the only time in my life where I stepped in somehting good. There seems to be something wrong with that link, it goes to the reply page.

Pete
Last edited by blutoh; Oct 10, 2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:58 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
I summoned up all of my negotiating skils and said "sold!".

Ha ha, well played sir.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:09 PM
---o-O-o---
Joined Mar 2012
1,603 Posts
Thanks Kcal,

Now I have to learn how to use it !
I'll start with some small, simple parts before I tackle an engine, and slowly work my way up.

Pete
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:44 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,272 Posts
I will try again,
Book 32 Unimat III Lathe Accessories The Workshop Practice Series Books
http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/browse...ractice-series
http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/produc...ccessories-wps
Regards,
Gerald.
PS There is sometimes when just making chips can be satisfying.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:26 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,667 Posts
Surprised that no one has mentioned "Edelstaal" yet.

River Queen Plans Instruction

This was a "technical" document for unimat owners to build.

http://www.john-tom.com/html/SteamPlans3.html

Scroll about a third of the way down.

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Last edited by Circlip; Oct 12, 2012 at 06:46 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:18 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,272 Posts
I had forgotten about that article Ian, I remember someone doing one years back, the only tricky part is the valve, I think he made about three before he had one he was happy with.
Regards,
Gerald.