HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2014, 08:53 AM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTerrific View Post
Not sure this glider is ideal for fpv. It's fast and and has a bad tip stall tendency if you try to slow it down to much. And, weak thermal performance. Yes, those are its faults... though it sure looks pretty and can do some mild acrobatics.
A floater type sailplane might be better for your goal IMHO.
Bad thermaling? Ug... Probably a consequence of it's looking scale.. Scale part is what makes in interesting really but might have to compromise. Hmm.... time to reconsider something like the easyglider pro. Might be able to retrofit a canopy onto it (clear one that is).

Anyone tried the fox from FMS? Wonder if it might be a better candidate. I've seen a guy be successfull with the CMP Ventus FPV thermaling but it's fiberglass and I'd prefer foam for FPV flying...
rpstar is offline Find More Posts by rpstar
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2014, 02:25 PM
United States, CT, Waterford
Joined Jul 2012
191 Posts
I have an ST Models Fox and it's fast, acrobatic, and light enough to catch thermals. It's versital and lots of fun.
Another one to consider if you want scale foam is the ST Models DG-1000. This plane thermals very well and I think looks great. Their is room in its cockpit for some xtra gear like fpv stuff. It does have some weaknesses which can be overcome - see the rc groups thread. Oh- Tower Hobbies has $10 off sale now and free shipping at the moment too.

Good luck!
TomTerrific is offline Find More Posts by TomTerrific
Old Feb 26, 2014, 04:18 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTerrific View Post
I have an ST Models Fox and it's fast, acrobatic, and light enough to catch thermals. It's versital and lots of fun.
Another one to consider if you want scale foam is the ST Models DG-1000. This plane thermals very well and I think looks great. Their is room in its cockpit for some xtra gear like fpv stuff. It does have some weaknesses which can be overcome - see the rc groups thread. Oh- Tower Hobbies has $10 off sale now and free shipping at the moment too.

Good luck!
Yeah, thought about this one also. Starting to look at this one as one guy on youtube has been successful thermaling it with FPV and variometer.

http://www.scaleflying.com/Ventus-CS...ider_p_48.html

It's not foam but it's inexpensive and I would only be flying it at the sod farm field we go to.
rpstar is offline Find More Posts by rpstar
Old Jun 24, 2014, 01:27 PM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
943 Posts
ASW 28 Wing set

I have a main wing set that is in pretty good shape if anyone is in need. PM me and we can work something out
Greg
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Jun 24, 2014, 01:54 PM
Pasadena, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
103 Posts
Extra wings offer

I'd certainly be interested. I will pm you.
miniellipse is offline Find More Posts by miniellipse
Old Jun 24, 2014, 02:00 PM
Pasadena, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
103 Posts
Hi Greg,

I live near LA. How much with shipping, what condition are the wings, and what exactly would you include?

Thanks,

Miniellipse
miniellipse is offline Find More Posts by miniellipse
Old Jun 24, 2014, 02:24 PM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
943 Posts
PM'd you

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniellipse View Post
Hi Greg,

I live near LA. How much with shipping, what condition are the wings, and what exactly would you include?

Thanks,

Miniellipse
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:17 PM
Father & Son Crashing together
United States, NC, Hickory
Joined May 2014
31 Posts
Anyone have trouble with the model wiggling back and fourth in the air, and dropping terribly when turning? 15mph solid wind and this glider would still not thermal or begin to climb.... I've been reading and reading and can find where anyone has made any modification to make this thing respond faster and some what halfway glide.... If anyone has any idea why this things is wiggling in the air please let me know.
3dcrashteam is offline Find More Posts by 3dcrashteam
Old Jul 12, 2014, 09:24 AM
United States, CA, Lincoln
Joined Jan 2011
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dcrashteam View Post
Anyone have trouble with the model wiggling back and fourth in the air, and dropping terribly when turning? 15mph solid wind and this glider would still not thermal or begin to climb.... I've been reading and reading and can find where anyone has made any modification to make this thing respond faster and some what halfway glide.... If anyone has any idea why this things is wiggling in the air please let me know.
While I don't have the ASW28, I do have the ASK23 and mine does the same thing. I believe my plane is really a slope soarer rather than a thermaler. You have to keep the speed up especially in a turn or my plane with immediately stall and flip right in to a spin...keep turns flat as much as possible when you're going slow...use the rudder for turning. Ailerons disrupt the lift at slow speeds. If you are talking about the plane just losing altitude in a turn...yep for sure. Wings lose lift without adding speed in a turn and down she goes.

Peter Lingh is a subscriber to this thread and he can explain much better than I.
6Sally5 is offline Find More Posts by 6Sally5