SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 06, 2010, 01:29 PM
San Bernardino California U.S.A.
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
Discussion
K&B Stallion .049 .....

..... as a collector of K&B engines, & the owner of a 1/2A Stallion, I would like to find advice about fixing a rod to piston connection problem, the crank got turned to free up an old, castor oil stuck engine W/O heat applied (no, it wasnt me!, I know better!) .....

..... probably with vice-grips, with the end result being that I got it for close to nothing, un-disassembled, on ebay in its presant condition!

..... part of what this hobby is, to me, is fixing things other folks would have given up on long ago .....

..... I have the whole thing, the piston, ball-joint rod, & the cir-clip, unfortunetly, its not like a Cox engine, 2 piece, but 3 piece !

On the other hand, Ive never heard anything good about this K&B 1/2A engine, Its not very high on my to do list, but at this stage in my life, I enjoy the ocassional chalange ......

Well, any ideas?

Laramie.
Laramie is offline Find More Posts by Laramie
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2010, 05:10 PM
kill your idols
utica new york
Joined May 2009
1,819 Posts
the challenge is always the best part.
any pics?
ZEROSKIN76 is offline Find More Posts by ZEROSKIN76
Old Nov 08, 2010, 08:48 AM
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2007
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
..... as a collector of K&B engines, & the owner of a 1/2A Stallion, I would like to find advice about fixing a rod to piston connection problem, the crank got turned to free up an old, castor oil stuck engine W/O heat applied (no, it wasnt me!, I know better!) .....

..... probably with vice-grips, with the end result being that I got it for close to nothing, un-disassembled, on ebay in its presant condition!

..... part of what this hobby is, to me, is fixing things other folks would have given up on long ago .....

..... I have the whole thing, the piston, ball-joint rod, & the cir-clip, unfortunetly, its not like a Cox engine, 2 piece, but 3 piece !

On the other hand, Ive never heard anything good about this K&B 1/2A engine, Its not very high on my to do list, but at this stage in my life, I enjoy the ocassional chalange ......

Well, any ideas?

Laramie.

Laramie,
Is the piston or circlip damaged? If not just clean and re-assemble them. K&B, OK, Mccoy, and Wen-Mac at one time all used the circlip design ( funny they didnt need to be re-set ). I have seen a couple where someone yanked the ball out the the same way yours was, and damaged the piston in the process my chipping out the circlip groove. If thats the case a new piston will have to be made and fitted, not a big deal if your used to model engines. I have made a dozen or so pistons for my 1/2A engines.
makoman1860 is offline Find More Posts by makoman1860
Old Nov 09, 2010, 08:07 AM
kill your idols
utica new york
Joined May 2009
1,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makoman1860 View Post
Laramie,
Is the piston or circlip damaged? If not just clean and re-assemble them. K&B, OK, Mccoy, and Wen-Mac at one time all used the circlip design ( funny they didnt need to be re-set ). I have seen a couple where someone yanked the ball out the the same way yours was, and damaged the piston in the process my chipping out the circlip groove. If thats the case a new piston will have to be made and fitted, not a big deal if your used to model engines. I have made a dozen or so pistons for my 1/2A engines.

can you change a piston from a spitzy 7? its a circlip design and the piston itself is falling of the end of piston when runing but im lucky it has not damaged any part of engine
ZEROSKIN76 is offline Find More Posts by ZEROSKIN76
Old Nov 09, 2010, 09:51 AM
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2007
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROSKIN76 View Post
can you change a piston from a spitzy 7? its a circlip design and the piston itself is falling of the end of piston when runing but im lucky it has not damaged any part of engine
Dont see why not. Many of the Anderson engines used cast iron pistons, so reproduction is straightforward. Shoot me a PM and we can talk further.
makoman1860 is offline Find More Posts by makoman1860
Old Nov 26, 2010, 12:00 AM
Cocoa, Florida
Joined Mar 2001
101 Posts
Brocken Piston

The piston assembly from a K&B Tornado .049 engine will work perfectly in your Stallion .049. If you can not find a donor engine I think I have an extra assembly tucked away somewhere in my unorganized mess around here. There is a bunch of defunct Tornado .049 engines floating around because the reed material self destructed over time ..... later they (K&B) went to a copper reed much like the Cox reed, but too little, too late! These little Stallion .049 engines will run like stink if you can find the later produced ( again too little, too late) large squish-band / high compression Glow Head and some high nitro thirst quencher. Another head that works pretty good is the Tornado .060 Glow Head ..... and you might also try the relatively new Holland Hornet Nelson head ( by Doug Galbreath) with the optional flat coil plugs. Should you decide to try the Galbreath HH Head, better order a few extra head shims with your order.
injunnut is offline Find More Posts by injunnut
Old Jan 27, 2011, 05:23 PM
San Bernardino California U.S.A.
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
To all who have posted here.....

I am very greatfull. I am at presant, recovering from moving, dont have my PC up & running, but hope a new wifi card will do it for me, the first of the month I will see..... The engine in question is in storage, but if I remember correctly, it should respond to the re-seating of the cir-clip, as it came to me frozen solid, gummed up with castor oil..... No, I have no pictures, or way to post them if I did, but Im working on that..... I have been busy working on designing a Great Lakes Trainer Bi-Plane lately, quite a prossess, very labor intencive & Im starting to understand why everyone in the hobby (amost) is going with ARFs & RTFs...... But I enjoy the chalange of building, so on I go..... To all, I wish a Happy New Year Laramie.
Laramie is offline Find More Posts by Laramie
Old Aug 05, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Jul 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by injunnut View Post
The piston assembly from a K&B Tornado .049 engine will work perfectly in your Stallion .049. If you can not find a donor engine I think I have an extra assembly tucked away somewhere in my unorganized mess around here. There is a bunch of defunct Tornado .049 engines floating around because the reed material self destructed over time ..... later they (K&B) went to a copper reed much like the Cox reed, but too little, too late! These little Stallion .049 engines will run like stink if you can find the later produced ( again too little, too late) large squish-band / high compression Glow Head and some high nitro thirst quencher. Another head that works pretty good is the Tornado .060 Glow Head ..... and you might also try the relatively new Holland Hornet Nelson head ( by Doug Galbreath) with the optional flat coil plugs. Should you decide to try the Galbreath HH Head, better order a few extra head shims with your order.
Reading this post makes me thing the K&b heads and the Holland Hornet heads are interchangeable. I have seen a video of a Testors McCoy 049 running with a K&B head in it, so, do you think a Holand Hornet head will fit in the Testors??
chevyiron420 is offline Find More Posts by chevyiron420
Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:20 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,202 Posts
I got an Enya ,049 off eBay with the piston apart. A friend put it back together for me and it ran fine. Cox Space Hopper engines (and I presume other earlier Cox 049s) have the three piece piston. I changed it for a modern Cox 049 piston and it fits fine. I wonder if a modern Cox piston and rod would fit your engine.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson