HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:21 AM
Up, up and away!
United States, FL, Jacksonville Beach
Joined May 2010
80 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Program Flaperons into DX8 using AR500 receiver

I have 4 of the AR500 receivers so I had to figure out how to do this. many thanks to David W at Horizon Support as he is the one that got me through this! Before beginning this you MUST install the DX8 Airware Software version 1.03 to your radio.

Here is the radio setup walk through:

System Setup Menu
-Wing Type
--Select Flaperon as wing type
-Switch Select
--Gear Inh
Main Screen
-Mix 1
--Ail to ger
--rates to 100, Offset 0, Trim Act, Sw On
-Mix 2
--Ax1 to ger
--rates to 100, Offset 0, Trim Inh, Sw On
-Flap System
--Assign Norm 0,0; Mid 35,5; Land 50,9 (adjust to your plane and preferance)

Go to monitor and verify that the ailerons move in seperate directions AND that the gear moves in the same direction as the right aileron. If it does not then the flap will move in the wrong direction.

For the AR500 receiver place the left aileron in the aileron slot next to the throttle. Place the right aileron in the gear slot.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions or if I have described something incorrectly.
HandEye is offline Find More Posts by HandEye
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:37 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,108 Posts
Nice of you to post this info, its been discussed over & over before that is was do-able with the AR500 as long as you were not trying to do it with the DX6i.

Since the DX6i does not have the ability to disable as switch it made it impossible to get it to work properly with the limited 2 mix capability of the DX6i but very pssible with the DX7 and of course the DX8.

I need to confirm this tonight BUT I think it could be done simply with ONE mix. If disabling the GEAR switch centers the channel then all you need is to MIX AUX channel to the gear. Just need to gear to mimic the AUX channel.

Trying to wrap my head around why you need to mix both AIL to GEAR and AUX to GEAR.

You are missing one input value in your mixing when you value 100% you do not specify if its for UP and or DN

Using the SERVO MONITOR screen when creating mixes helps alot when trying to figure out stuff. Would of probably saved you time over the phone.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Last edited by freechip; Oct 27, 2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:32 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Trying to wrap my head around why you need to mix both AIL to GEAR and AUX to GEAR.
Because without that you would simply have dual ailerons, no flaperon action.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:05 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,108 Posts
The Flaperon mixing will move the AIL channel and the AUX channel as this is the secondary aileron.

If you mix the gear channel to MIMIC the AUX channel if the dual aileron wing type is selected then you do not need to mix AIL to GEAR as well.

But like mentioned earlier I will check when I get home at 3pm from work to check with my DX8
Old Oct 27, 2010, 02:16 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
The Flaperon mixing will move the AIL channel and the AUX channel as this is the secondary aileron.
I see what you mean. Let us know after you try it.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Oct 27, 2010, 03:05 PM
Up, up and away!
United States, FL, Jacksonville Beach
Joined May 2010
80 Posts
[QUOTE=freechip;16396535]
You are missing one input value in your mixing when you value 100% you do not specify if its for UP and or DN
QUOTE]

Both values have no indication what they effect however, they need to be set at 100% or at whatever level suits the user.

Glad to see that this is helpful. I know that I have been struggling with this and when I did a search I couldnt find anything of value!
HandEye is offline Find More Posts by HandEye
Old Oct 27, 2010, 03:07 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,108 Posts
OK just like the DX6i you need to create one MIX to mix the AIL channel to the GEAR channel for proper aileron movement and you also need to create a second mix for the flaps FLAP to GEAR. With the DX8 programming the Second mix can be done 2 ways.
#1 MIX AX1 to gear or #2 MIX FLAP to GEAR. both do the same thing.

Where the DX6i failed to do well was because the DX6i could not disable or INH the gear switch and left the channel NOT centered.

I taught for one second that you could use only one mix and tell the radio to simply MIX the gear channel to the AUX1 channel and mimic what it does since at the end of the day and on the receiver its the same channel that does AILERON and FLAPS when DUAL AILERON/FLAPERON is used.
Last edited by freechip; Oct 27, 2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 06:43 PM
Stuart, FL
Joined Oct 2010
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandEye View Post
Go to monitor and verify that the ailerons move in seperate directions AND that the gear moves in the same direction as the right aileron. If it does not then the flap will move in the wrong direction.
I mostly do helis, but I do have one plane to have fun with. I wanted to program a flaps function and I did just as HandEye said. My problem was when I moved my right stick right and left my ailerons both moved and up and down at the same time. It shouldn't be that way. One should move up, the other down. Also when I hit my flap switch to activate the flaps function, one aileron would move up while the other one moved down. Again, is shouldn't be like this.

To fix the problem you go to MIX 1 and put both rate values at -100%. This fixed my problem completely. Try this if you are experiencing the same thing that I did. Now when I move my right stick left and right the ailerons move as they should move - right stick makes right aileron move up, left aileron move down; flaps switch activated: both ailerons move down.

Thanks HandEye for your post. I was pulling my hair out for about 2 hours trying to figure it out. It never would've dawned on me to do it like this and the manual for the DX8 absolutely sucks!

www.rchelimag.com is selling a DX8 bible of sorts. I don't know how much it'll have to say about planes, but it's better than the manual. I'm hoping it covers every single feature on the DX8.
courtney2018 is offline Find More Posts by courtney2018