HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2010, 12:29 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,573 Posts
Discussion
Google, Scan Our Drawings!

Please visit my new blog, "Google, Scan the Drawings!", where I hope to gain some momentum behind my quest for Google to scan engineering drawings, as well as books... and at least to get them to make better book scans!

What's it about? It's all those moldering drawings sitting in collections around the country, at institutions that have no funds to scan and post the drawings, or even to index them. Google is all jazzed about scanning "all the world's knowledge" (i.e., all the books in university libraries), but they're ignoring the very drawings that our country was built with! Not just ship building (my fav), but civil engineering, automotive, railroads, aerospace, and even computer science... and I say, only Google has the wherewithal to do it.

Who knows, maybe someone at Google will notice?
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Last edited by patmat2350; Sep 05, 2010 at 12:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2010, 12:35 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
Way to go Pat.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Sep 06, 2010, 10:54 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,573 Posts
So I complained to Google about the mis-scanned pages in books like the "Shipbuilding Cyclopedia", and got the response below. Basically, it says "Don't hold your breath, sucker".

What can you do? Go find these problem pages too, and hit the Feedback button a zillion times! Otherwise, no traffic = no bother.

Hello Patrick,

Thank you for your e-mail and for taking the time to share your thoughts about Google Books.

For the vast majority of books in our index, the quality of the scanned pages is extremely good. We're confident that for the vast majority of users, the user-experience will be very good and will give them access to hundreds of thousands of books previously inaccessible before this launch.

Google has developed technology to scan millions of books at a scale that was previously unimaginable, but that doesn't mean there's not more work to be done. We're continually improving the technology used to scan book pages and to process the images into the format viewed by users.

Over time, we expect to re-process the books scanned earlier to improve the quality for some of the books currently available on the site.

Please feel free to reply to this message if you have any other questions about Google Books, and we will be happy to assist you.

Sincerely,

Cristina
Google Books Team
Old Sep 06, 2010, 11:17 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,272 Posts
Hi Pat,
What is the best format to scan drawings in?
Regards,
Gerald.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
Old Sep 06, 2010, 11:46 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,573 Posts
TIF, usually. Good for compressing all the white space without JPG's "lossiness" around the lines.
Old Sep 07, 2010, 05:23 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,656 Posts
Christina really cared. It so obvious in the care she took in addressing the issues you raised... LOL
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member