HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2010, 04:20 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,499 Posts
Discussion
Data spikes ICE 75 ESC

I am loving the data logging but sometimes get wild spikes on the data - any ideas?

I know I am not drawing 244 amps.

And any way to edit them out of the file?
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2010, 04:34 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,786 Posts
The data logger just uses a standard Microsoft spreadsheet format so you can easily edit it is you have the program (Excel or equivalent).

You can also use your mouse to make a box and the graphics software will zoom in and just plot what’s in the box. That’s very useful for taking a closer look at parts of the graph.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:05 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,499 Posts
Tried that but every time I edit it - the graphical viewer errors and says invalid file type. I save it as comma separated values file. ??

But the zoom may be all I need - since it re-calcs the highlighted section. Thanks man!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by pda4you; Apr 12, 2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:55 AM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Olathe, KS (next to the Castle)
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
PDA4you,

This is a bug in the data logger. Your graph shows three flights. The logger changes the scale on the flights subsequent to the first. This will be fixed in the next update. Without the big spikes the data will be easier to see with multiple logging sessions as the scale will not change. For the time being ignore the spikes and use the zoom feature as RC Man said.

Bernie
Bernie Wolfard is offline Find More Posts by Bernie Wolfard
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:47 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,499 Posts
Thanks Bernie - will do.....the zoom is nice BTW.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2010, 06:35 PM
Mooresville, NC
Joined Dec 2004
266 Posts
Temperature spike...

Bernie,

I was out flying today with my new Castle ICE Lite 75 and ICE Lite 50 and love them in governor mode! The autorotation setting works great...first time I tried an auto using an electric heli (Trex 500)!

I too noticed a temp spike in the middle of the first session on my ICE50 in a Trex 450 Pro. I don't think that the temperature could have jumped that fast? Is this a bug also?

Thank you,

Michael
MichaelT1960 is offline Find More Posts by MichaelT1960
Old Apr 17, 2010, 01:45 AM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,728 Posts
Interesting. I wonder whats causing those spikes?

I have 5 different ICE and HV ICE controllers all running the latest software and Im not getting any spikes at all.
MrE is online now Find More Posts by MrE
Old May 01, 2010, 04:01 PM
AMA 754
Phoenix area
Joined Apr 2004
1,629 Posts
Bernie, I'm seeing these spikes as well, using an ICE75, but mine are in the current and watts graphs. I found a post by Patrick in another thread that implied that, at low currents, the logging resolution may be causing it. Since my session was the very first spoolup on a new heli, I never got up to liftoff RPM (max recorded headspeed was 1200), and the max. current recorded was about 7 amps. Do you concur with Patrick's comment, or is this still part of the bug you referred to in Post #4 here? I'm using the latest ESC firmware and the latest graph viewer. My spikes show up in both amps and watts, but there is no voltage fluctuation and no recordable ripple, just a 1-2 amp change in current. This was a single logging session with the log data cleared beforehand, so I don't think the graph scale would have changed.
BobRCnut is offline Find More Posts by BobRCnut
Old May 03, 2010, 09:02 AM
AMA 754
Phoenix area
Joined Apr 2004
1,629 Posts
Followup to my previous post #8: It definitely looks like a resolution or granularity situation. I checked the log file contents with Excel, and all the numeric values for current are in steps, or multiples, of 0.9 amps, and at some points you can see the current value "oscillate" up and down by 0.9. The next run should tell; I'm taking small steps because both the heli and the radio (Aurora 9) are new.
Last edited by BobRCnut; May 03, 2010 at 09:03 AM. Reason: typo
Old May 06, 2010, 07:18 AM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,705 Posts
You can edit out the bad data in the files using text editor instead of Excel.
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Old May 06, 2010, 04:39 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW View Post
You can edit out the bad data in the files using text editor instead of Excel.
Zoom is working great for me as the user pointed out to me in the post above.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2010, 01:23 PM
AMA 754
Phoenix area
Joined Apr 2004
1,629 Posts
At this point I think the current spikes are insignificant, although it does prevent using the data log to determine receiver/servo current loads.