New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old May 01, 2015, 08:06 AM
SlowJeff is offline
Find More Posts by SlowJeff
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
SlowJeff's Avatar
United States, MO, Richmond
Joined Apr 2015
1,372 Posts
Discussion
Chicken or Egg?

I'm about to build my first ever scratchbuilt foamie. I've only been involved in this hobby at all (rc flying) for a little over a week. From the git-go scratch building has been an objective.

My first plane is going to roughly resemble this :http://www.banggood.com/Hisky-Buzz-M...-p-968515.html It won't be an attempt to duplicate thus plane, although I have ordered one. Just this general concept. Probably 2 or 3 foot wingspan, cheapie foamboard. Crossed foam body, or a single sheet, or maybe a quarter inch dowel rod... I hope Dollar General carries the foam board because we don't have a Dollar Tree in my town.

So... the chicken or the egg...

Do I try to figure out what motor and prop I need in advance, or do I build it first, weigh it, and start figuring that part out from there? Same general question re: servos.

And do I make my control horns, or buy those?

Although I have received some extremely useful pointers on understanding motors and power from members here, I am still beyond clueless when it comes to deciding how much power for how much plane. For sure this thing is going to be feather light.
SlowJeff is offline Find More Posts by SlowJeff
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2015, 08:30 AM
springer is offline
Find More Posts by springer
treefinder
springer's Avatar
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,833 Posts
It is probably best to spend some time thinking and planning the size and weight before jumping into gear, but the build process for foam on a simple plane like this is so fast that you could build it and then get gear. I recommend that you proportion the size of wing and tail surfaces and overall length to match the original. Scale it up or scale it down, but maintain the proportions. Many noobs end up with too small tail surfaces that don't respond well.

If i was doing it, i would make a simple box section foam fuselage, i like to tuck all the guts inside, just looks better, and will be easier to align wing and tail surfaces than on a stick. (Though i have never done a stick, i admit)

Also a 2-3' span fits in the size of most of my onesheeters and i use pretty much the same gear on all of them: 24 gram 1700kv "blue wonder" motor, 7x6 sf prop, 10 amp ESC, hxt900 9 gram servos, 850 to 950 mah 2s lipo. Weight under 10 oz and this gear flys it fine.

I make my own control horns from credit cards and hot glue them in. If you want , i can dig up a sketch or just do a search on "credit card control horns".

You are taking some risk going your own scratchbuilding your first plane, and some will say to build from one of the many plans available here, but as long as you understand that risk, go for it! The gear can always be recycled into another plane if this one doesn't work out, and if it does, there is great satisfaction in seeing your creation flying under your control. Finally, remember " it's only foam" easy build, easy repair!
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
Last edited by springer; May 01, 2015 at 08:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2015, 09:16 AM
SlowJeff is offline
Find More Posts by SlowJeff
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
SlowJeff's Avatar
United States, MO, Richmond
Joined Apr 2015
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
It is probably best to spend some time thinking and planning the size and weight before jumping into gear, but the build process for foam on a simple plane like this is so fast that you could build it and then get gear. I recommend that you proportion the size of wing and tail surfaces and overall length to match the original. Scale it up or scale it down, but maintain the proportions. Many noobs end up with too small tail surfaces that don't respond well.

If i was doing it, i would make a simple box section foam fuselage, i like to tuck all the guts inside, just looks better, and will be easier to align wing and tail surfaces than on a stick. (Though i have never done a stick, i admit)

Also a 2-3' span fits in the size of most of my onesheeters and i use pretty much the same gear on all of them: 24 gram 1700kv "blue wonder" motor, 7x6 sf prop, 10 amp ESC, hxt900 9 gram servos, 850 to 950 mah 2s lipo. Weight under 10 oz and this gear flys it fine.

I make my own control horns from credit cards and hot glue them in. If you want , i can dig up a sketch or just do a search on "credit card control horns".

You are taking some risk going your own scratchbuilding your first plane, and some will say to build from one of the many plans available here, but as long as you understand that risk, go for it! The gear can always be recycled into another plane if this one doesn't work out, and if it does, there is great satisfaction in seeing your creation flying under your control. Finally, remember " it's only foam" easy build, easy repair!
Thank you for all of this.

I certainly wasn't thinking in terms of a 2s battery to start. My SCS (wherever it is...) has a tiny 1S batt... flies better than I can fly it, by a long shot.

Roger the tail surfaces. I used to fly in a Caribou in Vietnam, and one thing it told me: slow planes need huge tails.

This won't be my first plane, quite. It will just be my first scratchbuild. I had, and lost, a SCS, and plan to buy another one almost immediately. And I ordered one of those little things from Banggood that I linked to, although just today so of course it's not here and won't be for a while.

I think I understand the credit card control horns concept, so just telling me that part should be all I need. I just probably wouldn't have thought of it on my own.

I'm pretty sure my very first one won't have a box section fuselage, but maybe my second or third will. Plus, I've got a bunch of scrap 2" blue foam board pieces around from an insulated solar stock water tank that my wife and I built, so I may just sculpt one or more fuse's out of that over time.

Regarding scaling up or down, if anything I expect the wings and tail to be somewhat oversized per scale. I want this thing to fly wayyyy sloooow. Like the way I think. That way I can probably react in time to events!
SlowJeff is offline Find More Posts by SlowJeff
Last edited by SlowJeff; May 01, 2015 at 09:16 AM. Reason: autocorrect. mumf.
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2015, 09:25 AM
BHOFM is offline
Find More Posts by BHOFM
Kimbers Keeper.
United States, AR
Joined Nov 2014
1,754 Posts
Jeff, drop down the page and look at the Nutball thread. These planes are easy, cheap and fly
great.
While you are worrying about the details, you can build and fly a couple of these. They are
a blast and teach you the basics.

A Powerup 250, a 10a esc and a couple 9g servos and you are in the air. You have a Spectrum
radio and Headsup has recs for less than ten dollars. 2s 800 battery and you can fly for 15
minutes.

The same gear will fit the 19" O-Fungle and it handles wind pretty good.



BHOFM is offline Find More Posts by BHOFM
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2015, 09:30 AM
SlowJeff is offline
Find More Posts by SlowJeff
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
SlowJeff's Avatar
United States, MO, Richmond
Joined Apr 2015
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHOFM View Post
Jeff, drop down the page and look at the Nutball thread. These planes are easy, cheap and fly
great.
While you are worrying about the details, you can build and fly a couple of these. They are
a blast and teach you the basics.

A Powerup 250, a 10a esc and a couple 9g servos and you are in the air. You have a Spectrum
radio and Headsup has recs for less than ten dollars. 2s 800 battery and you can fly for 15
minutes.

The same gear will fit the 19" O-Fungle and it handles wind pretty good.



My mind sas Yes but my eye says NOOOOO...
SlowJeff is offline Find More Posts by SlowJeff
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2015, 09:49 AM
BHOFM is offline
Find More Posts by BHOFM
Kimbers Keeper.
United States, AR
Joined Nov 2014
1,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowJeff View Post
My mind sas Yes but my eye says NOOOOO...
When you start flying it, it will change..
BHOFM is offline Find More Posts by BHOFM
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2015, 03:18 PM
Rusty-Gunn is offline
Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
My plans are in my blog
Rusty-Gunn's Avatar
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,573 Posts
Another easy to build slow airplane is Tomcor's EPP Cutlass.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2015, 03:41 PM
balsa or carbon is offline
Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
4,151 Posts
Hey Jeff ,

I'm pretty sure Dollar General sells the foam board ( RL Adams Readi-Board ) , I've seen it mentioned a few times .

While you're there look for the $1 kid's kite , it has three 2mm fiberglass rods that make good pushrods , wing spars , etc. Cheap bamboo skewers also work well , but aren't always straight .

Another good material to make control horns out of are old ( polycarbonate plastic ) CD or DVD discs . You can cut them out with a Dremel tool or even just scissors . They will be stronger than control horns made out of credit/gift cards .

Walmart has an inexpensive 24" x 36" cutting mat with measurement grids on both sides , and they also have an inexpensive ( less than $3 ) low temp glue gun .

Making an airframe first and then getting appropriate electronics is not a bad idea . Are you doing your own design or using plans for a proven plane ? A very good one is the EzFly - VERY stable and can be slow flying if built light weight . Here's mine :

Copy of EzFly with under-cambered wing (1 min 57 sec)
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2015, 04:33 PM
foamdave is offline
Find More Posts by foamdave
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
2,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn View Post
Another easy to build slow airplane is Tomcor's EPP Cutlass.
+1 What Rusty said.


http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675318
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2015, 07:02 PM
springer is offline
Find More Posts by springer
treefinder
springer's Avatar
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,833 Posts
Now you're in for it, guy: options, options, options!
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2015, 07:59 PM
SlowJeff is offline
Find More Posts by SlowJeff
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
SlowJeff's Avatar
United States, MO, Richmond
Joined Apr 2015
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
Hey Jeff ,

I'm pretty sure Dollar General sells the foam board ( RL Adams Readi-Board ) , I've seen it mentioned a few times .

While you're there look for the $1 kid's kite , it has three 2mm fiberglass rods that make good pushrods , wing spars , etc. Cheap bamboo skewers also work well , but aren't always straight .

Another good material to make control horns out of are old ( polycarbonate plastic ) CD or DVD discs . You can cut them out with a Dremel tool or even just scissors . They will be stronger than control horns made out of credit/gift cards .

Walmart has an inexpensive 24" x 36" cutting mat with measurement grids on both sides , and they also have an inexpensive ( less than $3 ) low temp glue gun .

Making an airframe first and then getting appropriate electronics is not a bad idea . Are you doing your own design or using plans for a proven plane ? A very good one is the EzFly - VERY stable and can be slow flying if built light weight . Here's mine :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxaUadvhgbc
I already Liked that video on YouTube - I've watched it 4 or 5 times before today, and just watched it again. At the distance in the vid I didn't realize the EZFly was a pusher. (And a voice in the back of my old hippy head sings, G D the pusher man...)

Back a long time - fifty years and some - I used to build a lot of balsa wood gliders. Chuck 'em and chase 'em. I got sick of all the chasing and started building them with quite bit of dihedral to them so on a still day they'd pretty much come back to me. They bore considerable resemblance to an Ember. That's why that cheap imitation Ember at Banggood looked so good to me.

So I think that's what I'm going to build first. I ordered one of those cheapos from Banggood; if it happens to get here before I start building I'll probably do considerable stealing, er honor the inluence...

I'll be buying one of those cutting mats. And the low temp glue gun. My hot melt glue gun would destroy foam at a hundred paces. And of course one thing rural and small town America definitely have is... Walmart. <sigh>

I bought my replacement SCS today. I'll be doing a blog post on it.

I thought about stopping at Dollar General today, but I'm so busy... my used factory pickups in my homemade 7 string steel guitar died Wednesday night... and we had a gig today. So I took my backup, cheap Chinese factory steel guitar to the gig. (Think:Banggood. In fact they probably sell them.)

So I'm going to wind a couple custom pickups for it. The ones I used were humbuckers, and I prefer single coil, and it's impossible to buy 7 string single coils under about $150.00 each... and then my string spacing is 1 cm to match my fat fingers, and most factory pickups are about 7 mm... and my wife is making HoneyDo noises... I had both knees replaced since the week before Christmas, so I've been pretty worthless around here... so...

It may be a few weeks before any new planes get built.
SlowJeff is offline Find More Posts by SlowJeff
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2015, 08:18 PM
BHOFM is offline
Find More Posts by BHOFM
Kimbers Keeper.
United States, AR
Joined Nov 2014
1,754 Posts
The Dollar General has the same foam as Dollar Tree. I use high temp, doesn't seem to have any
effect on the foam and you have a bit more working time. You are really not using that much glue.
Just adding weight if you over do the glue.
BHOFM is offline Find More Posts by BHOFM
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2015, 08:50 PM
SlowJeff is offline
Find More Posts by SlowJeff
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
SlowJeff's Avatar
United States, MO, Richmond
Joined Apr 2015
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHOFM View Post
The Dollar General has the same foam as Dollar Tree. I use high temp, doesn't seem to have any
effect on the foam and you have a bit more working time. You are really not using that much glue.
Just adding weight if you over do the glue.
Very interesting. Thank you. I use hot glue some, stabilizing the electrics in the steel guitars I build.
SlowJeff is offline Find More Posts by SlowJeff
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2015, 11:05 PM
goldguy is offline
Find More Posts by goldguy
flyin' fool
goldguy's Avatar
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,790 Posts
[QUOTE=SlowJeff................ but my eye says NOOOOO... [/QUOTE]

The NutBall is the egg, not the chicken.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2015, 08:37 PM
basicguy is online now
Find More Posts by basicguy
Ayn Rand Sez.............
basicguy's Avatar
United States, MO, La Plata
Joined Dec 2014
630 Posts
Welcome from LaPlata Missouri.
basicguy is online now Find More Posts by basicguy
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Chicken or egg? mokermeister Multirotor Power Systems 1 Jul 03, 2014 11:09 PM
Help! What Really Comes First? The Chicken Or The Egg? happygillmore FPV Talk 9 Dec 13, 2009 08:39 PM
Discussion Funky Chicken Egg Drop Mechanism Busta Prop The Builders Workshop 12 Sep 18, 2006 04:45 PM
The chicken & the egg. Up&Away Humor 2 Aug 10, 2003 10:21 AM
Chicken or the egg derekl Parkflyers 14 Jun 12, 2003 07:00 PM