SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 03, 2014, 12:31 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2011
601 Posts
Discussion
Article: "Why is my battery stuck in the 90s?"

Another day, another popular media article about Lipo battery technology. However, this one is different in that it dares to question whether batteries will be advancing very much or fast from here and has some industry analyst estimates to back that up. I guess that's refreshing after so many press releases claiming miracles around the corner that never arrive.

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-batteri...etting-better/
Markran is offline Find More Posts by Markran
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2014, 05:34 PM
Lake's Frozen Let's Fly
United States, MN, Eden Prairie
Joined Oct 2008
1,345 Posts
It seems no matter what it is or what we have in most technologies someone isn’t happy with it.
That’s good because there will be someone looking for a new hurdle to jump over.
I don’t know the history of all of the battery technologies that have gone before but what we have now is many magnitudes over anything we had just a few decades back.

Way back in the days I began flying RC we used carbon-zinc batteries because that’s what we had. Of course the power to the plane was a nitro IC engine and the batteries were to power the radio.
Then in the 70s we had NiCads but that was still for the radio only.
Later the electric powered planes came along and NiCads were used for power. Then NiMh and Lipos.

Along the way each of these technologies improved in that particular chemistry until a new one was introduced. There is always an announcement of something new just over the horizon and I’m sure there will be something better than Lipo in the future.
When that happens the electronics industry such as cell phones and tablets (or whatever is to come) as well as the model industry will use them to their maximum.
Then there will be someone who wants something more. And so it goes.

Hooray for technology and dissatisfied minds of the researchers.

David
Rhea is offline Find More Posts by Rhea
Last edited by Rhea; Dec 03, 2014 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Sp.
Old Dec 03, 2014, 08:03 PM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,378 Posts
Does a typical laptop run for 11 hours? Seems like most are only claimed to be around 3 hours. There are few that last for really exceptional lengths, but not many.
Ira NZ is offline Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Old Dec 04, 2014, 03:16 PM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
1,082 Posts
There are a few with very long runtimes, I remember when the Macbook Pro came out it had an exceptionally long claimed time but the tradeoff for that was the battery is not user-replaceable. My newest laptop is several years old so I'm not up on the current state of things but I was surprised to find that the Core i7 desktop I built early this year consumes less than half the power than the aging Pentium4 it replaced. Booted up to the Windows desktop sitting idle it pulls less than 60W from the wall and it peaks at under 160W transcoding video. The old PC idled at more than 160W, so it's certainly believable that laptop run times are getting longer. IIRC the screen backlight is the bulk of the draw on the low power machines, no way around needing a significant amount of energy to brightly illuminate a panel.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S