SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 22, 2014, 06:55 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2008
16 Posts
Discussion
Charging Turnigy 4000mAh Transmitter Pack

Hi Guys,

I hope you could please kindly offer me some inputs. Million Thanks for the help

I have this Turnigy 4000mAh Spektrum DX8 Intelligent Transmitter Pack and I don't want to pay the extra to get this Spektrum Charger Adapter for lipo (SPM6834) I am thinking to use Multi-Plug Charge Lead for Micro Model Batteries (Walkera/NE/Pico/E-flite/JST) from Hobbyking. I am not sure the connector from Hobbyking is a good fit for the battery.. ??
ceong is online now Find More Posts by ceong
Last edited by ceong; Nov 22, 2014 at 07:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2014, 07:32 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,183 Posts
Why not just charge it in the DX8 using the Tx's inbuilt charger? it's slow but it works fine.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Nov 22, 2014, 07:39 AM
Joined Jan 2008
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Why not just charge it in the DX8 using the Tx's inbuilt charger? it's slow but it works fine.
I am using this lipo in my Spektrum DX6
Old Nov 22, 2014, 08:41 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,221 Posts
The connector spacing is the same as a servo connector. .100 thou. Take a servo extension and use the male end to plug into the batt. cutting off one of the pins. The other end you install a connector to fit your lipo batt charger. Use red and black wires to keep the polarity right. If you don't want to unplug it from the trans. every time you charge it, solder another pair of wires to the existing batt wires with a connector that fits your charger. That's what I did.
Only use the charge section of your charger. No balancing as the batt has its own built in balancer.
I charge at 1.5 amps.
Hope this helps.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Nov 22, 2014, 09:15 AM
Joined Jan 2008
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
The connector spacing is the same as a servo connector. .100 thou. Take a servo extension and use the male end to plug into the batt. cutting off one of the pins. The other end you install a connector to fit your lipo batt charger. Use red and black wires to keep the polarity right. If you don't want to unplug it from the trans. every time you charge it, solder another pair of wires to the existing batt wires with a connector that fits your charger. That's what I did.
Only use the charge section of your charger. No balancing as the batt has its own built in balancer.
I charge at 1.5 amps.
Hope this helps.

Gord.
Hi,

I think I have perfect match here (please correct me if I am wrong).. Refer to the photo.

About charging the battery, I am using Team Orion ac/dc touch screen multi charger so i will let the charger to decide after punched in the correct Voltages and mAh, do you think this is ok? hopefully not going to blow up the lipo..
Old Nov 22, 2014, 09:51 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,221 Posts
Yep. The one with the servo type connector looks like mine, except I took the outer cover off.with the pins exposed..

Gord.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:16 AM
Joined Jan 2008
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Yep. The one with the servo type connector looks like mine, except I took the outer cover off.with the pins exposed..

Gord.

Hi Gord,

Great.. then I can use the connector for charging.

About this 1.5 amps charging. Do you think it is safe let my Team Orion charger take over the responsibility for charging? Thanks
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:35 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,221 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Orion charger so I can't say. For myself, I'd sooner do it myself. That way I know exactly what it's getting. Lipos can be fussy about charge rate.

Gord.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 03:03 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceong View Post
I am using this lipo in my Spektrum DX6
That's fine, the DX6 internal charger will safely charge a LiPo. You just have to plug it in and it will charge as per normal.

The DX8 battery has a protection circuit built in that prevents it from over charging regardless of what charger you use..
Old Nov 22, 2014, 05:56 PM
Joined Jan 2008
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
That's fine, the DX6 internal charger will safely charge a LiPo. You just have to plug it in and it will charge as per normal.

The DX8 battery has a protection circuit built in that prevents it from over charging regardless of what charger you use..
Nope...DX6 doesn't come with the internal charger
Old Nov 22, 2014, 09:43 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,368 Posts
DX7s does
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Nov 23, 2014, 04:42 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceong View Post
Nope...DX6 doesn't come with the internal charger
Ok, sorry, I didn't appreciate that. So the Tx has no jack for a charger at all?

Anyway, the plug you need to connect to the Spektrum battery is a JST EHR-2 female
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Nov 23, 2014 at 05:02 AM.