Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:27 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
18,006 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1556994http://
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Just for fun here are a couple of videos with the #16 and the new #16 D wide angle.

I didn't edit color or jello. What you see is what you get. The video of the plane flying is shot from a #16 mounted on my transmitter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrpZPO2Jd6k

This is the long version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO4ZKOTjfNs

Another sample

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XfQXJsmW2w
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCO2010 View Post
That's very cool ! Where did you get that 808 #16 mini Dvr ? Thanks for sharing !
The #16 has it's own dedicated thread. Why not post #16 stuff there?
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:31 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,333 Posts
I post in the #16 thread too but I always like to see a comparison. I have owned several different keychain cameras and like the wide angle #16 the best. It really stabilizes the video to have the wider angle lens. Since this is a RC forum I like to see the camera filming from a plane.

Try this on a 26" wing span plane with a G.P..

Scythe Target Practice (3 min 32 sec)
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:35 AM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jul 2011
1,781 Posts
Is the method for changing the time stamp the same for the #11 and #16 version of these cameras?

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:31 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan View Post
Is the method for changing the time stamp the same for the #11 and #16 version of these cameras?

Jim
No. The #16 uses a completely different hardware design and thus uses different firmware. It is not from the same developer so configuration tools or files are not compatible. In addition, the #16 has USB plug-and-play communication so it's dead simple to set the time and any parameters by simply connecting the camera to a PC and running the GUI setup utility.

It is also possible to set #16 parameters using a text-file, so in the true sense, the method is similar, but not compatible.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:59 AM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,934 Posts
Hi,
I will ask the question before assaulting the camera....

Is it easy to remove the lens and leave the sensor in place ?

I have been using the No11 for aerial photography for some time now.

I want to do some astrophotography. This uses a webcam, without lens, attached to the telescope. The No11 is probably better than most webcams so I thought about using that instead. I can then carry on AP with a No16 camera which will give better results.
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:20 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklet View Post
Hi,

I want to do some astrophotography. This uses a webcam, without lens, attached to the telescope. The No11 is probably better than most webcams so I thought about using that instead. I can then carry on AP with a No16 camera which will give better results.
I think you'll find that you can screw the lens off, and ISTR someone early on removing the lens carrier from the sensor, cos I remember gritting my teeth when he explaned how to swab the surface of the sensor
I think that will screw up the spectral sensitivity - the lens has an IR filter.....
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Last edited by empeabee; Nov 09, 2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: IR
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:06 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklet View Post
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
I think you'll find that you can screw the lens off, and ISTR someone early on removing the lens carrier from the sensor, cos I remember gritting my teeth when he explaned how to swab the surface of the sensor
I think that will screw up the spectral sensitivity - the lens has an IR filter.....
Mike
It's possible, but your main problem will most likely be the glue holding the lens in the barrel. I've seen horror pictures of lenses destroyed by using pliers and brute force. Don't be tempted to do that! If possible, don't use any tool at all.

In a recent post, I can't remember in which thread, a poster used a tiny drop of acetone to soften the glue. He had to apply the acetone 3 times with a wait in-between but his method worked.

Be very, very careful when opening the lens and try and keep the barrel upside down to prevent dust entering. If you contaminate the CMOS array with dust or liquid it is all but impossible to clean it off.

A drop of acetone on the CMOS array will destroy it!
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:37 AM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,934 Posts
Hi,
Thanks for the replies.
I will be careful when I eventually try to remove the lens.
If it all goes "pear shaped" it won't be too big a disaster. I have had good use out of the N011 but the No16 performs even better.
I may just rip apart a cheap webcam to test the idea before having a go at the No11.

Thanks again for the comments.
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:37 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,181 Posts
I pretty much know this question is pointless, BUT is there a FW update for the #11 that makes the #11 yellow LED flash like the #16 when it's recording video?

I'm pretty sure the the answer NO after reading the FAQ's in Post #3 of this thread, As Bullet Point #13 FAQ Asks - 'What different firmware is available for the original #11 camera?' Which then goes to show 6 x FW (REL2) updates that only relate to recording periods and something to do with if the Date/Clock/timer is displayed. To be honest I just left the original firmware in as I don't fully understand those FW updates.

The reason I ask if the LED can be enabled to flash is because I'm very P!ssed off about missing two very important (to me) recordings.

On both occasions (I thought) I had the #16 on the plane and the #11 on my cap.

With video 1, I launched my Bixler with Full power and the wings were (I presume) not fully plugged in when got to about 50' high the slid out only to be held by the CF rod and the started spinning on the rod, I killed the power straight away and it was quite a sight to see plane flutter to the ground with wings spinning kinda like a Butterfly. It touched down light enough to do no damage other than a few prop strikes to the trailing edge of one the wings. The thing is none of this can be seen from the onboard #16 mounted on the just behind canopy, and the damned #11 on my cap was not recording. --AArrghhh

With Video 2, I maiden my A-10 only have the #11 not record again, to make matters worse I forgot to put the #16 on the plane, so ended up no recording at all. I crashed the A-10 (luckily into long bush, so the damage was minimal as well), It was flying like brick so I had a panic attack, killed the power and attemped to glide home, only fall very fast. I have since learnt (been told), I need to learn that flying EDF's with extremely high wing loading is totally different to a 'normal' plane and that the power pretty much needs to on all the time as the are NOT gliders!! - Will attempt with the A-10 again this Sunday.

Anyway all that aside, is there anyway the #11 can have the LED flash while it's recording?

Might just buy another #16 I think.

-B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Last edited by Fugitive_Bill; Nov 10, 2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:51 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
I pretty much know this question is pointless, BUT is there a FW update for the #11 that makes the #11 yellow LED flash like the #16 when it's recording video?
-B!LL!
If your #11 is a v2 (with the smaller "non-standard" 8 pin USB plug), this FW will turn on the recording LED). If yours is a v1 with the "normal" 5 pin mini-USB plug, this FW should not be installed.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:02 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,181 Posts
Thanks Tom. Unfortunately it's must be a V1 as it uses the same USB as the #16, which I presume is the standard port you mention. Thanks anyway. I'll just get another #16 I think. I'd rather do that miss out on classic video footage.
-B!

PS: I Just did a test record with the #11 and worked fine.
1/Powered up.
2/Pressed the shutter button until the Yellow LED flashed 3 times and went out.
3/Scanned around the workshop/shed for 30 seconds.
4/ Pressed Shutter button again to stop recording (3 flashes again) and it shut down.
5/RESULT: Perfect it recorded.

However the problem is out in the bright sunlight at the field it's very hard to confirm that these flashes are actually happened and more than once I've ran through the sequence a couple a of times because unsure if recording, only to possibly shut it off when it WAS recording!!
At least with the Flashing record LED you know for sure it's there is gunna be a VIDEO
Last edited by Fugitive_Bill; Nov 10, 2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:24 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,006 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Tom. Unfortunately it's must be a V1 as it uses the same USB as the #16, which I presume is the standard port you mention. Thanks anyway. I'll just get another #16 I think. I'd rather do that miss out on classic video footage.
-B!

PS: I Just did a test record with the #11 and worked fine.
1/Powered up.
2/Pressed the shutter button until the Yellow LED flashed 3 times and went out.
3/Scanned around the workshop/shed for 30 seconds.
4/ Pressed Shutter button again to stop recording (3 flashes again) and it shut down.
5/RESULT: Perfect it recorded.

However the problem is out in the bright sunlight at the field it's very hard to confirm that these flashes are actually happened and more than once I've ran through the sequence a couple a of times because unsure if recording, only to possibly shut it off when it WAS recording!!
At least with the Flashing record LED you know for sure it's there is gunna be a VIDEO
Yep, it's a V1. You might try drilling out the hole over the LED a tiny bit get a better angle into the LED. I used to shield the hole with my hand and/or body to better see the LED as well when in bright sun.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:19 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,181 Posts
Thanks TOM,
So here's a question to all - or someone who tried the FW....

From POST#9323.... Tom notes the #11 V2 FW....

Description of #11 FIRMWARE
#11V2_Time Off_LED On.zip (1.04 MB, 388 views) The folder name describes what the FW does. I do not have a V2 #11 camera and have NOT tested this FW, so use it at your own risk.

TOM's ADDITIONAL NOTE ON THE FIRMWARE
WARNING! This firmware is ONLY usable with the new version 2 #11, easily recognized by its smaller, non-standard 8-pin miniUSB plug. Do NOT attempt to install this in the original #11 cameras! See this post for firmware for the original #11 camera.

I do not have the new V2 #11 camera so have not tested this firmware. Use it at your own risk.

---

MY question has anyone in fact (been silly enough) tried this FW on the #11 V1 and if so WHAT HAPPENED, I presume no has, but if so what happened:
1/ Nothing?
2/ The Camera was bricked?
3/ Amazing it worked?

-B!
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:11 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,006 Posts
Quote:
Thanks TOM,

#11V2_Time Off_LED On.zip (1.04 MB, 388 views) The folder name describes what the FW does. I do not have a V2 #11 camera and have NOT tested this FW, so use it at your own risk.

WARNING! This firmware is ONLY usable with the new version 2 #11, easily recognized by its smaller, non-standard 8-pin miniUSB plug. Do NOT attempt to install this in the original #11 cameras! See this post for firmware for the original #11 camera.

I do not have the new V2 #11 camera so have not tested this firmware. Use it at your own risk.

---

MY question has anyone in fact (been silly enough) tried this FW on the #11 V1 and if so WHAT HAPPENED, I presume no has, but if so what happened:
1/ Nothing?
3/ Amazing it worked?

-B!
Post deleted... info not verifiable, so I ditched it.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:01 AM
Brasil, PR, Curitiba
Joined Aug 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Thanks TOM,

---

1/ Nothing?
3/ Amazing it worked?

-B!

If #18 firmware works perfectly on #11 V1 and #18 hardware is the same as #11 V2 I think #11 v2 firmware will work on #11 v1.
Just need to rename the file to the name of #11v1 firmware which is the one that camera bootloader will look for.

This said, is much better install the last #18 firmware with much better image quality and plenty of configurations. A whole new life to your old #11.
I have 3 #11 v1 with #18 firmware and the image is very similar to my #16s, just a little more saturation (a plus for me).
caldas2112 is offline Find More Posts by caldas2112
Closed Thread