SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:51 AM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2007
385 Posts
Help!
Flyfly F-4 vs mb-339

So I am thinking about buying a flyfly jet as they are good scale planes and look like they fly good. Here is my current status: I have a rclander mig-17 with the metal fan, 6s motor, 8 servos, 6s 4000mah, electric retracts but has no power it seems like. It takes about 600 feet to takeoff, and I only get about 1:30 minutes flight, with only enough power to keep it from stalling, cant do any loops inverted or rolls. I want to use these electronics for the flyfly jet. I cant decide on what flyfly jet I want exactly but I would like speed, and potentially be able to do a roll or loop. I am thinking the f-4 or the mb-339 would be best for these requirements. The other question I have is which foam is better EPS or EPO? The EPS for all flyfly jets is around $150 and the EPO is around $170 why is this? Thanks Josh
toxic-trip is offline Find More Posts by toxic-trip
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2010, 04:39 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
I suggest FF, F4 with HET or Vemo/ARC combo get yourself 100amp ESC and run it on two 4S4000mA in series as 8S. I use same set up in MB339, great trainer but it wont beat real jet performer Phantom. On both I use fixed gear for simplicity, veretical performance no problem. You love both, Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Aug 11, 2010, 06:39 AM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,479 Posts
My F4 flys very nicely on a Wemotec Midifan and HYK 3660, 80A ESC and 6s 4000mAh lipo.

The ARC 3665 or 3675 would be a better motor these days. I wouldn't say the Phantom is ultra fast, but it's a joy to fly.

What I can't understand is why your MiG-17 is performing so badly with the setup you have. Have you tried a fresh battery in it? At least 25C?

Cheers,

Dan.
dro56595@bigpo is offline Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:01 AM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
I agree totally with Dan. There must be a reason why the mig is not performing, and I would sort that out first before giving up on it. I would be starting with looking at the kv of the motor you are using, and seeing if you are getting the correct rpm range with the 6 cell batt you are using. Just a hunch, but I have a feeling you might be using too low a kv of motor.
Jag
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:36 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,018 Posts
F-4

I have to agree on two things,

1. If you’re going for either the F-4 or the MB-339 then go F-4

2. There is something wrong with your set up. Maybe you can hook up with VIC (ACEMIGKILLER) he is close to you and you can ask him look at it? Your MIG should be able to insane loops and rolls; The 1:30 thing is also way off. I do have to ask too, are you sure the batteries are still good and are taking a full charge? Maybe the timing is off on the ESC.

Turbulence
CRCJA is online now Find More Posts by CRCJA
Old Aug 11, 2010, 02:18 PM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2007
385 Posts
Well I move down to Tucson for U of A in 2 days and I have a week before school starts so maybe I could meet up with you crcja or some guys down there. Here are more details of everything, also I got this plane in a trade so the only thing I added was the electric retracts:

Batteries (I have two): rhino 6s 4000mah 25c, only about 15 cycles, they charge close to 4.26v per cell everytime
Esc: Hobbywing Pentium 60A, max 75A
Motor: Not sure but the guy I bought it from said it is a 6s motor and it is a rclander motor
Weight: 5.8 pounds ready to fly
Tested with hobbyking wattmeter:
average amps after 20 seconds: 58.2amps
average watts after 20 seconds: 1095watts
Thrust: I do not know

I am going to stick with this setup and will do some minor changeouts but I dont have the money to upgrade my motor/batteries/esc/other stuff. I will mess around with it a little more and maybe put a little bit of money into it. I am sticking with my 6s batteries as they are expensive for me even at hobbyking.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:14 PM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,479 Posts
I had the first version of the 90mm rclander alloy fan/motor combo - 1600kv I think.

Installed in a Starmax F-18, it drew 70A on a fresh 6s batt but would only provide 3.5min of flight time on mixed throttle. The motor burned out after a dozen or so flights - as it did for a few people on the F-18 forum. Tim Wan from rclander sent me a new ver2 setup which was great, but I haven't used it yet.

A new ARC motor and Wemotec Midifan should cost less than a new model, and will use your battery power much more efficiently.

Just my 2c.

Cheers,

Dan.
dro56595@bigpo is offline Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:14 AM
5kW Club
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Feb 2007
840 Posts
Since you are moving to Tucson, the EDF guys here can help. We need to get the aircraft and see what is going on. As Ralph said Vics moves out just fine.

We will start from square one and test everything. Batteries can cause more problems than you know.

Pm me and we can see if we can get together.

Clay
racer1 is offline Find More Posts by racer1
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:28 AM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2007
385 Posts
Okay cool, and I might have access to a castle creations 125amp esc for free, would this help performance in any way? What field do you guys fly at (ralph and clay)? I want to join a club/field when I move down there, but I will be living right next to U of A campus so I dont want something really far away (like TIMPA, sorry but that is like an hour drive each way).
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:37 AM
5kW Club
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Feb 2007
840 Posts
Sorry really nothing close to the U of A.

Clubs in town are

TRCC
http://www.tucsonrcclub.org/

SAMS
http://www.sam1191.com/

Catalina RC

http://www.catalinarcm.org/wordpress/

And of course TIMPA
http://www.timpa.org

Many times we try and go when no one else is around, It makes testing alot easier.

Clay
racer1 is offline Find More Posts by racer1
Old Aug 12, 2010, 01:01 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,018 Posts
Yeah

yeah,

How long do you think it Takes from Sahuarita/Green Valley to get to TRCC or TIMPA, yep an hour LOL. You should be at about 30-40 minutes.

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic-trip View Post
Okay cool, and I might have access to a castle creations 125amp esc for free, would this help performance in any way? What field do you guys fly at (ralph and clay)? I want to join a club/field when I move down there, but I will be living right next to U of A campus so I dont want something really far away (like TIMPA, sorry but that is like an hour drive each way).
Old Aug 12, 2010, 01:22 AM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2007
385 Posts
Sorry I went with a club in a crammed car to tucson aero shootout, it seemed like an hour. I was looking up a few things, here is what I was thinking about doing:
Sell my esc and edf/motor

buying:
Motor: arc 36-65-1
Batteries: my rhino 6s 4000mah (sorry I am not buying new batteries unless I have too)
Esc: castle creations 125 amp esc
edf: wemo midi fan

Do you think this would be a better setup? Some data i saw on here say around 4 kg of thrust which would be a 1:1.5 thrust ratio which would make my mig freaking perform, would I get longer flight times then my 1:30 with this setup?
What do you guys think?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 01:25 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,018 Posts
Not yet

I'd say don't start buying stuff until we can see what is wrong with the set up you have.

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic-trip View Post
Sorry I went with a club in a crammed car to tucson aero shootout, it seemed like an hour. I was looking up a few things, here is what I was thinking about doing:
Sell my esc and edf/motor

buying:
Motor: arc 36-65-1
Batteries: my rhino 6s 4000mah (sorry I am not buying new batteries unless I have too)
Esc: castle creations 125 amp esc
edf: wemo midi fan

Do you think this would be a better setup? Some data i saw on here say around 4 kg of thrust which would be a 1:1.5 thrust ratio which would make my mig freaking perform, would I get longer flight times then my 1:30 with this setup?
What do you guys think?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 01:29 AM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2007
385 Posts
Also I was looking at maps, and Catalinarc is the closest, looks like maybe 8-13 miles (I could be wrong), and TRCC is about 13-18 miles (I could be wrong). So I guess I will have to check out these two fields sometime as a guest then become a member of one of them.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 01:30 AM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2007
385 Posts
Okay I will hold off on buying anything but I got the castle creations 125amp already for free (had to do some favors for a friend to get it though), and if I dont use it on mig I will use it on my het f-20.