SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 22, 2015, 10:56 PM
Team Futaba
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,953 Posts
Aeronaut CAM 17x8. I get to 150 meters in 17 to 18 seconds. Gives me time to run towards lift and still have time to climb.

FWIW I snagged 4th overall out of 34 pilots at the SC2 contest this weekend. Only one other ALES pilot, but it was really satisfying doing so well with an E-glider against all the full on TD planes flown by some of the best pilots in SOCAL. We use 150 meters for the launch on ALES for these contests.

Great airplane. Really enjoying flying it.
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Last edited by Silent-AV8R; Mar 24, 2015 at 01:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2015, 08:18 PM
Joined Dec 2000
44 Posts
Pulsar

Well the pulsar came today
Hats off to susa for there expert packaging and super quick shipping.
Now I start the build servos for the tail are in the fuse.
I'm going to try and get it done in 60 days.
dougind is offline Find More Posts by dougind
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:32 PM
Team Futaba
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,953 Posts
I am the world's slowest builder. I got mine in the air in about a week.

My servos are under the wing saddle a bit towards the rear of the opening. I used 2 Futaba 3270 servos side by side.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 04:34 AM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,251 Posts
I saw this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R View Post
...an E-glider against all the full on TD planes flown by some of the best pilots in SOCAL. We use 150 meters for the launch on ALES for these contests. Great airplane. Really enjoying flying it.
congrats on the 4th place, these were tough conditions at sula site so this is a great result. I saw your model (blue/yellow ?) and was impressed. Due to busy time flying or timing i didn't introduce myself or get to see you fly but i will at next sc2 event.

john s. from riverside
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Old Mar 25, 2015, 08:42 AM
FlyGuy
Batavia, IL, USA
Joined Oct 2007
364 Posts
Quote:
My servos are under the wing saddle a bit towards the rear of the opening. I used 2 Futaba 3270 servos side by side.
Please explain your technique for locating the servos back there.
I don't believe I have those skills.
ldhflyguy is online now Find More Posts by ldhflyguy
Old Mar 25, 2015, 08:58 AM
Team Futaba
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswain View Post
congrats on the 4th place, these were tough conditions at sula site so this is a great result. I saw your model (blue/yellow ?) and was impressed. Due to busy time flying or timing i didn't introduce myself or get to see you fly but i will at next sc2 event.

john s. from riverside
Yep, that was mine. I really like those colors, plus mine has a rare colored pod. Mine is blue. Plane really shows up well. Conditions were pretty tough, lots of pretty talented pilots fell well short of their times. I was fortunate to be able to provide a live demonstration of the blind squirrel finding an acorn in the snow theory!! But the Pulsar seemed to make it easier.

Were you flying the E-Stork?? Sorry I was not able to say Hi wither. Between flying and timing for others it seemed like there were no extra minutes!!
Old Mar 25, 2015, 09:15 AM
Team Futaba
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldhflyguy View Post
Please explain your technique for locating the servos back there.
I don't believe I have those skills.
It is actually very easy to do if you do it before gluing the pod to the boom.

The aft end of my servos sit just about even with the back of the opening in the saddle. I also opened that up a bit towards the front to give my ham-hocks more room to reach in there.

I start by taking a piece of thick paper (or lighter cardboard) and cut it to fit inside the fuse. My servos are touching each other centered on the pod centerline. You cold also go 2 inline, one in front of the other.

Once I have a rough cut piece I transfer that to shape to a piece of balsa. I used some 1/8-inch scrap. I keep sanding the edges of that until I got it so the servos were just a tiny bit up from hitting the fuse side. This is pretty easy since you can see right into the pod from the end without the boom on. Made it easy to get the tray level and see where the servo were.

Once the balsa tray is looking right I copy that shape onto either light ply (3/32 or so) or as I did for this build, a piece of 3mm carbon fiber plate (I had some scrap from another project).

Cut it, final shape it, mount the servos in it and then glue it in. I use Marine Goop for doing this. Goop holds like crazy, stays a tiny bit flexible, and yet comes off if you want it to. I use it just about any time I need to glue something to glass, etc. (except for a firewall).

Make sure the servos sit as low as you can get them. If I was doing a second build I would move the servo tray about a 1/4-inch forward to give more room and to get the servos a tiny bit lower.

Once the servos are mounted THEN I start setting up the pushrods.I estimated where the exit holes needed to be using the photos attached to this post. I installed the horn on the rudder and decided to use a small ball link on the elevator. Now it is easy to cut the exit holes by trial and error until you have good alignment and the pushrod move easily with no binding. I alway glue them in at the rear first, then I glue them in side the boom

I used these brass horns from Esprit on this one. I like them.

http://www.espritmodel.com/control-h...sets-m3-5.aspx

I also mounted all four wing servos with the horns on the bottom of the wing. Makes for a nice simple install.
Last edited by Silent-AV8R; Mar 25, 2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 01:18 PM
FlyGuy
Batavia, IL, USA
Joined Oct 2007
364 Posts
Quote:
It is actually very easy to do if you do it before gluing the pod to the boom.
Silent-AV8R,
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I'm printing it and saving it for my next Pulsar. I've had the 4m e from Esprit. My next one may come for S.USA, in which case I'll definitely try out your procedure.
ldhflyguy is online now Find More Posts by ldhflyguy
Old Today, 10:36 AM
Joined Dec 2000
44 Posts
Top drive or Bottom the flaps that is the question

I'm getting on with this 4E pro build
It can be done both ways top drive or bottom drive on the flaps.
Any thoughts?
dougind is offline Find More Posts by dougind
Old Today, 10:41 AM
Team Futaba
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,953 Posts
I set my flaps up with the linkage on the bottom of the wing with the servo arm also coming out on the wing bottom. Old School!!. Super easy to do and the servo cover fairings I got with mine work nicely. The linkage sticking up out of the top of the wing looks odd to me.
Old Today, 04:27 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,516 Posts
I did mine with a top drive. Very neat looking but very fiddly to do. If I was doing another I'd do bottom drive
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco