SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 21, 2015, 02:27 PM
Find More Posts by stephavee
Twin screw homebrew
Joined Nov 2011
148 Posts
Discussion
Dumas deck fittings?

I have been reading and from what I can tell Dumas's deck fittings are a plated alloy of some sort. I have been reading that people in the past have sanded and filed these parts to make fix the lack luster quality that they come in. My question is did Dumas change the material these are cast in? because when I sanded and filed my to a smooth finish I did not find the yellow-ish colored alloy that many others found. Instead mine are bright and when polished look great! Did I just get lucky or am I mistaken?
stephavee is offline Find More Posts by stephavee
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2015, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by babblefish
Yes, that is Jamie
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,838 Posts
Wow, that really looks good stephavee. I'm wondering how that shine will hold up over time particularly in a wet environment. I too was disappointed with the fittings that came with my Typhoon. Think I'll have to revisit the kit and try polishing it's fittings. Thanks.
babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish
Old Feb 21, 2015, 03:26 PM
Find More Posts by stephavee
Twin screw homebrew
Joined Nov 2011
148 Posts
I think its cast aluminum...If im right it should hold up well with periodic buffing. I wish I had a before picture! In my mind these fittings should come looking a lot better!
stephavee is offline Find More Posts by stephavee
Old Feb 21, 2015, 03:47 PM
Find More Posts by frankg
Joined Dec 2004
3,938 Posts
Dumas still cast their parts the way they always have, it is just that you may have gotten a set that was not plated. After they cast their parts they are sent out for barrel plating which consists of first plating with copper than with chrome. If anyone wishes to polish their deck fitting that are in the kit, call Dumas and ask to exchange the plated parts for un-plated parts which you can then polish up.

Un-plated Dumas fittings which have been polished up can be made to look like chrome. Remember to top coat the fittings with a clear coat to prevent tarnishing of the finish on the part. Also I now use the MACK attachment tape for installing hardware on finished decks to prevent gluing screw-upís.

frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Feb 23, 2015, 07:18 AM
Find More Posts by oldnavy
Joined Jan 2008
93 Posts
I need to try this. I have my typhoon shelved because I'm so disappointed with the quality of the cast fittings.
oldnavy is offline Find More Posts by oldnavy
Old Feb 23, 2015, 09:23 AM
Find More Posts by oldtribefan
oldtribefan
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined May 2007
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg View Post
If anyone wishes to polish their deck fitting that are in the kit, call Dumas and ask to exchange the plated parts for un-plated parts which you can then polish up.

I did this with my Dumas Triple. Dumas was very quick in replacing the plated parts with unplated.
oldtribefan is offline Find More Posts by oldtribefan