Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:16 AM
Find More Posts by deputybuzz
Pledged to Always Chase Wind
USA, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2004
1,652 Posts
Help!
Futaba 10CAP trim switch failure

Recently my beloved Futaba 10CAP Transmitter has been having some problems with the trim switches. After last season the buttons barely working the elevator trim finally stopped working completely. This was not a good thing because I was flying when it finally failed. The plane was ballooning and no matter what I did it would not trim the nose down. I kept fiddling with the trim and eventually bumped it in the wrong direction trying to make it work I could not correct it and further worsening the situation.

We rounded up some tools on the mountain and pulled the transmitter apart but were unable to get it working. I had to use the subtrim to adjust the elevator just so I could fly.

Futaba 10CAP trim switch failure (2 min 51 sec)

Futaba 10CAP trim switch failure3 (1 min 14 sec)

Futaba 10CAP trim switch failure4 (0 min 34 sec)
deputybuzz is offline Find More Posts by deputybuzz
Last edited by deputybuzz; Jun 12, 2013 at 11:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:21 AM
USA, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2004
1,652 Posts
Here is the response from Futaba support. So what do I do now? Anybody have a 10CAP they will sell me? Is it time for me to move to the Aurora 9 so I can continue using Modules? Except for all my Futaba FAAST Rx's which will have to be pulled from their permanent foamy homes and either replaced with another brand or linked with a new Futaba system. The fact that Futaba cannot help me repair this makes me want to move on and try a different brand.

Hello Spencer,

I spoke with my Futaba Experts on the matter of a malfunctioning set of micro switches on the trim board. they mentioned that the trim board is a part of the main circuit board that drives programable function and makes the radio what it is. It is not possible at this point for us to get those parts in here.

When we have a 10CAP come to our shop with this issue we typically make people aware that it is not cost effective for us to replace the trim board or even at this time to replace the entire main board as these radios sell in many places for cheaper as a whole unit.

I can send the trim levers and trim bases to you for free, but sadly, I feel that this won't fix the problem as you have described. I wish I had more favorable answers for you.

I would recommend searching the forums or local hobby shops to see if they have a main board/trim board combo that they would let go of for cheap. Or, even better, I would see if it is possible to pick up a new (well nearly new) radio for less than the main board/trim board combo.

I hope you find this information helpful. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at this email address. (Please be sure to copy all previous emails into any future questions.) You can also reach our product support technical team at 217-398-8970, or via fax at 217-398-7721.

Sincerely,

Product Support Technician

Here was my reply to this email:

This is very unfortunate news. I will try to find a used radio online. Hopefully my temp fix will hold up until I can find the correct parts.
My biggest problem is that all my Futaba FAST Rx’s are built into my foam planes and cannot be accessed to link them to a new radio. If I cannot find another radio that uses my existing Futaba 2.4 module then I have no way of flying most of my planes.
So just to be clear. If I pull the trim circuit board from another 10C, which is not the 10CAP 2.4 Module version like mine, the new circuit board will not work in my radio? I can easily get my hands on another 10C with these parts but it will be more difficult to find the 10CAP with modules.

Thank you very much for your help in this matter.

His Response to this email:

Subject: RE: Futaba 10 CAP Parts

I would certainly recommend trying the new trim board from a 10C. I think that the only difference is the programming for each. The 10 C board should work. If plane surgery is possible I would recommend seeing if you can bind your aircraft to a different radio. If it is not possible, I fear that what you mentioned may be true. Best of luck in this endeavor and if there is any more info we can provide we gladly will.

Best Regards,

My Reply:

I’m not sure I understand your response. You say any 10C should work but you also say that the “only difference is the programming for each”? Can you further clarify on this potential programming issue? Would the buttons not work or be assigned to different trims, could it break the radio completely, would certain features not work?
Can you ship me a 10C board to try?

or
Couldn’t your futaba technicians just solder in some new buttons instead of replacing the circuit board?

His Reply:

Hello again Spencer, sorry for the confusion. It appears that we do sell the main boards to include the trim board. The price list is below:

HSP79796 TB24 PCB ASSY 10CA $289.38
HSP79797 TB24 PCB ASSY 10CH $289.38
Additionally, the programming of these boards would have to be performed through what is called the "Service Menu." This can be accomplished through Futaba Japan or Futaba Services USA (3002 N. Apollo Dr. Suite #1; Champaign, IL 61822).

I wish that the setup were easier, but those two places are the only ones authorized to use the software for this particular setup and are governed very strictly by the FCC to perform inspections for frequency/spectrum adherence.

If you would like the replacement board to be installed and programmed at the same time we would be happy to do it here. I thought that we would not have access to the boards, per a colleague, but we apparently do and may be able to program it for you too.

My reply:

Couldn’t the board just be programmed for my model radio and shipped for me to install?
If this is not an option lets get the process started to fix my radio. I guess I will have to ship it to you to install the new board.

His reply:

I would like to help you out a bit. In order to get the radio to us I will pay the shipping for it to get here. If you provide a bit more information I will send a pre-paid shipping label to your email.

Please provide the following:

1. First and Last name
2. Mailing address

Please include in the box with the radio:

1. Note with a brief description of the difficulty you are experiencing
2. First and Last name
3. Return mailing information
4. Please complete this form: http://www.hobbyservices.com/service-form-futaba.html

Once you receive the shipping label please print it out and place it on the box.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I apologize for my lack of knowledge on the matter and rest assured that our Futaba Technicians will have the proper solution to this issue.

Respectully,

My reply after emailing with RadioSouth:

Hold off on sending me a box. Looks like I have Radio technician that will replace all the trim switches for a fraction of the costs you were talking about. I appreciate all your time and help in this matter and hope to work with you again in the. Hope you have a wonderful day.

Sincerely,
Last edited by deputybuzz; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:23 AM
USA, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2004
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deputybuzz View Post
So just to be clear. If I pull the trim circuit board from another 10C, which is not the 10CAP 2.4 Module version like mine, the new circuit board will not work in my radio?
Can anyone confirm this is accurate????
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:59 AM
Find More Posts by BigSwede
Ninja Master
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
Man, that sucks. I had a similar issue with a switch on a 8FG. Can't remember all the details about it, but I remember that I couldn't get the small part I needed from them. Try asking your question in the radio forum. Good luck finding a solution.

http://www.rcgroups.com/radios-135/
BigSwede is offline Find More Posts by BigSwede
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:18 PM
Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,896 Posts
That sucks. I'm surprised Futaba gave you that answer.
Did you try contact cleaner on the switch? or a dab of epoxy on top for a little more leverage?
also try ebay...
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/push-button-switch-smd
Also try Radio South for repairs.
http://www.radiosouthrc.com/
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:59 PM
Find More Posts by slopemeno
more casual than stylish....
Joined Jan 2003
7,087 Posts
Seems like the elevator trim button is a high-wear item. I have the beginnings of that issue with my 9303.

I'd probably try to clean it with contact cleaner like 1000mph suggested.

Do we need a "wrecking yard" for no-longer-supported radio parts now?
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Jun 12, 2013, 01:07 PM
USA, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2004
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000MPH View Post
That sucks. I'm surprised Futaba gave you that answer.
Did you try contact cleaner on the switch? or a dab of epoxy on top for a little more leverage?
also try ebay...
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/push-button-switch-smd
Also try Radio South for repairs.
http://www.radiosouthrc.com/
I considered the dab of epoxy but didn't want to take a chance of ruining the button completely. I did not try contact clean but I did hit it with compressed air trying to clean it.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:11 PM
USA, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2004
1,652 Posts
I have updated the 2nd post with more email correspondences. I will continue to update that post as things progress.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:06 AM
USA, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2004
1,652 Posts
I considered doing it my self but my circuit board soldering experience is next to nothing. Looks like Tony with Radio South is the choice for me. He will replace them and send it back a few short days.

Thank you very much to the support technician from Hobbico representing Futaba support that helped me. Although his knowledge and experience seemed lacking in my particular situation I felt he did a great job following up and doing what he could to help me.

Now I need to decide what radio to purchase as my backup. Because the hitec Aurora is the only radio that offers the modules slot to run various Rx brands, it is looking like my top choice.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:24 AM
Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,896 Posts
Spencer, the prices for the auroras may go down as soon as the new Aurora 9X comes out this month.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Old Jun 13, 2013, 02:49 PM
USA, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2004
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000MPH View Post
Spencer, the prices for the auroras may go down as soon as the new Aurora 9X comes out this month.
Good to know. Looks like the 9X is the same radio but it does not have the module pack. So if you only run the hitec Rx then 9x is the way to go. I will for sure take advantage of the telemetry feature but need to be able to link to my Assan Rx's too.
Old Apr 05, 2015, 10:33 AM
Find More Posts by Kasuhico
Joined Mar 2010
28 Posts
Switches replaced... seems to work

I had the same issue in my T10CHP.
I have purchased in eBay replacement switches and solder them in my radio.
Now it seems to be working again.
Kasuhico is offline Find More Posts by Kasuhico
Old Apr 14, 2015, 03:44 PM
Find More Posts by 3DCrazy516
United States, MI, Kalamazoo
Joined Mar 2009
16 Posts
You have a part number or anything for those switches? My elevator trim just went out today.
3DCrazy516 is offline Find More Posts by 3DCrazy516