SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 19, 2015, 03:03 PM
USA, FL, Hudson
Joined Dec 2009
203 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum radio signal issue

Hey all, I just want to put this out there and see if anyone has had this happen lately. This past weekend there was a signal problem that almost took out one plane and did take out another. My buddy was using a DX9 with a dsmx receiver and was just taking off, another guy was in the air already flying using a 6i but I'm not sure of his receiver.

My buddies plane had just left the ground when the surfaces went crazy, he was using a split elevator with two channels and they were flipping up and down opposite each other. He cut power and the plane dropped back on the ground when the motor started to power up. It ran after the plane and held it back as the other guy yelled he had no control and his plane went in.

Apparently a third guy had just turned on his futaba radio when this all happened. I will have to ask some more questions this weekend, we are a small group and he is new, I believe he is the only one using futaba. It could have been something else and his powering up just a coincidence but what's the chances. I have been slowly converting my planes over from a aurora9 to the DX9 but they are mostly 1/4 scale planes so now I'm a little worried.

Has anybody heard of this happening with the dsmx signaling?
Troy S is offline Find More Posts by Troy S
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2015, 03:30 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
15,337 Posts
I can say with confidence, the Futaba radio has nothing to do with your Spektrum signal being wonky.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: BEER Gimbals!
Old Mar 19, 2015, 03:37 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,323 Posts
Not to be an ... How do you know it was a signal problem? Did you have RSSI (or equivalent info?)
Do you know for sure that the receiver power was adequate? That the antenna's were not blocked? Pre-flight including range check was done and all seemed ok? Verified that the right model was configured in the transmitter?
ScottSails is online now Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Mar 19, 2015, 03:59 PM
USA, FL, Hudson
Joined Dec 2009
203 Posts
The fact that it happened to two planes at the same time made me think it had to be a signal issue. What I want to find out this weekend is if he had a video antenna hooked up also. I know he has some quads and has FPV, I just don't know if it is somehow paired up with that radio.

The plane that is still in one piece appears to be fine, he shut it off once he got to it so every thing was reset. The plane I am working on now has the tm1000 installed so I can have him play with his radio and see if I get any holds.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 04:54 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,824 Posts
If this was a gas plane... then I would suspect something in the secondary ignition system.
That's the only thing I can imagine interefering with a dsmx in the way you describe.

Either that or a cracked circuit board or soemthing. If the receiver wasn't new, it might be worth sending it in.
You mentioned another plane, but didn't give many details. You sure that guy didn't just stall or dumbthumb and crash?
(Or take his eyes off his plane after hearing some commotion about the other and just lost it?)

You're simply not going to take out two separate dsmx links with a single source unless it was intentionally setup as a broad-spectrum jammer or something.
C_Watkins is online now Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2015, 06:20 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
6,598 Posts
I have had issues with my DSM2 getting interference from one persons Futaba. Not sure but I think its FASST. It's happened enough I don't fly when he's there...
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Mar 19, 2015, 06:22 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
15,337 Posts
far out
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: BEER Gimbals!
Old Mar 19, 2015, 06:54 PM
United States, CA, Placerville
Joined Feb 2006
779 Posts
Every flyable day, there are multiple Futaba, Spektrum, etc radios being used simultaneously at my home field. Pretty hard to imagine any of them interfering with another. We just don't have those kind of issues. It will be interesting to see what your final diagnosis is.

Don
DonA is online now Find More Posts by DonA
Old Mar 19, 2015, 07:27 PM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,800 Posts
I fly with all the boys... don't care what they're running. Never a problem. I've owned DX7 (old ver), (2) DX8, DX18, and now (2) DX9. Solid performance no matter who's flying.

Piper J3
Piper J3 is offline Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Mar 19, 2015, 09:23 PM
USA, FL, Hudson
Joined Dec 2009
203 Posts
I will definitely ask more questions this weekend. I have had great luck with the DX9 so far and really didn't think it would be able to happen with dsmx.