HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Kyosho SEAWIND Carbon Edition Readyset

An update to the iconic Seawind

Splash

Ready to run with a carbon fiber hull

The Kyosho Seawind has made a return in a ready-to-run state. The ABS hull version was announced early last year and now Kyosho has introduced a new carbon fiber hull in Readyset. The Kyosho SEAWIND Carbon Edition Readyset comes with a 2.4GHz PERFEX KT-21 radio, waterproof high torque KS501SW sail servo with metal gears and a KS202W rudder servo, and detachable mast, keel, and rudder.

The pricing for the Seawind Carbon Edition is around $550.

Specs:

• Length: 998mm
  • Width: 226mm
  • Height: 1,850mm
  • Weight: 3,000g(approx.)
  • R/C System: 2.4GHz PERFEX KT-21
  • Sail Area: 39dm2

CLICK HERE for more info on the Kyosho Seawind Carbon Edition

Discussion

Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:22 AM
Joined Sep 2009
186 Posts
Looks like I have to save my money, I really like this boat.
m.g. is offline Find More Posts by m.g.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:33 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,737 Posts
This news comes as a surprise to me. Kyosho discontinued them many years ago, it was thought due to lack of sales. Perhaps they are doing so well with the re-release of the ABS versions, they thought it was time to bring back the high dollar version?

My first Seawind was a CF Edition which was indeed a very pretty boat. There were a few minor flaws in the hull but overall it was fine. Over the past few years I 've had two of the ABS versions. I was not able to determine any performance differences between the CF version and the ABS version. I opted to sell the CF boat because I could not justify the difference in price over the ABS versions.

Posted a few pictures of my CF Seawind for comparison. In the photos the hull appears to be black but my hull was actually translucent Carbon Fiber, which was really pretty cool looking. If you held the hull up to the light you could see differences in the thickness of the hull. Not sure if that was normal to these or mine was unique in that regard.

The wall thickness of the hull struck me as very thin and flexible. Was always afraid it would crack. It didn't but it seemed like it wasn't as durable as some of my other boats.

In years past I've seen CF editions listed on E-bay for almost a grand! I thought that was nuts! I guess $550 is about where these sold for when the first came out so perhaps the price is not unrealistic. I enjoyed having it but as I said I just couldn't justify the price difference at the time. Nice to see them back again for those who enjoy such things.

Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Jan 17, 2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 01:52 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
15,337 Posts
slicker than goose poop!
That is nice!
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: BEER Gimbals!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 01:57 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,871 Posts
My friend who lives on a lake has the earlier version of the Seawind and it is a great sailing boat. Glad to see it lives on as I heard the factory where they were built was damaged a few years back. (No separate verification of that by me.) Mike H
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2015, 03:38 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,558 Posts
The offiicial Seawind Class Owners Association discussion site is hosted here.......

http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/foru...82-Seawind-COA
Dick L. is online now Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 05:32 PM
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Feb 2008
381 Posts
I thought the previous version of the carbon Seawind was a pretty boat. However it was plagued with production flaws and whatever performance advantage might have been gleaned from the weight savings with carbon was and is negated by the class minimum weight rule. All class legal boats have to weigh at least 6.5 lbs regardless of whether they are ABS or carbon.

The old version's carbon hull was pretty flimsy too--you could flex it slightly by squeezing it slightly on the side. A far cry from what one would expect from a carbon hull on say an M class or Us1M boat.
flatlandsailor is online now Find More Posts by flatlandsailor
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:47 PM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
1,054 Posts
If looks could get first place this yacht has a gold medal. I do not know about how good a yacht it is but certainly it looks the part. It makes me wish I lived near a lake. I sailed 14' skiffs when I was younger and often yearn the smell of salt water in my nostrils and spray in my face.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:10 AM
United States, PA, West Chester
Joined May 2012
137 Posts
I've been interested in getting a sailboat on and off, this one really stands out! It sure would make a great looking display model as well, like the lack of overall white, just a clean design. Here I go talking myself into yet another rc hobby...
Citationfxr is offline Find More Posts by Citationfxr
Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:25 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,737 Posts
Just a few thoughts for those considering the purchase of the latest Carbon Fiber edition.
If folks are buying a new CF edition based on it's looks and are not concerned with not getting any enhanced performance, that is certainly their option.

I would recommend seeing one in person before shelling out the money. If you look at the pictures of my CF Seawind I believe it's appearance is more true to the color deck you'll get on the latest version. I have not see the newest version in person yet, but promotional pictures of the earlier CF Seawinds showed it looked pretty much like the new version does. The deck color is significantly lighter blue than it appears in the ads and hull is not black. It is more like Charcoal gray and translucent - I like the appearance so I am not complaining, just suggesting if your paying for the looks it would be wisdom to see one in person before ordering. I posted a couple of the old Kyosho promo photos that show the darker blue decks and black hulls - just for the sake of the conversation.

If you are buying one thinking it will be faster than the ABS versions, history suggests that will not be the case. Not trying to be a buzz killer here, just suggesting seeing one before buying to make sure it is all that you are hoping for.
There is quite a price difference there!

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jan 31, 2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:09 PM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
517 Posts
I would have to agree that any performance advantage has not been noticed in any of the races in which I have competed against the carbon edition, but they do look really nice.
seabee CE is online now Find More Posts by seabee CE
Old Feb 01, 2015, 11:06 AM
United States, PA, West Chester
Joined May 2012
137 Posts
Boomer1, thanks for the insights, always good to know "the rest of the story". I'm just a lone RC'er, no clubs or events so performance isn't really an issue. It is good to know that what you get does not (or at least didn't with the last release) necessarily match the advertising. The ABS Seawind or Aquacraft Vela are probably more within my price range, but they sure aren't as appealing to the eye.
Citationfxr is offline Find More Posts by Citationfxr
Old Feb 01, 2015, 12:25 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citationfxr View Post
Boomer1, thanks for the insights, always good to know "the rest of the story". I'm just a lone RC'er, no clubs or events so performance isn't really an issue. It is good to know that what you get does not (or at least didn't with the last release) necessarily match the advertising. The ABS Seawind or Aquacraft Vela are probably more within my price range, but they sure aren't as appealing to the eye.
I suggest the Seawind over the Vela. There is a very comprehensive thread here on the forum on the Vela. Had both, still have the Seawind. The Vela is a very attractive boat, no doubt and if you watch the sales at Tower Hobbies you can get one for a pretty attractive price. I returned the one I got due in part to manufacturing defects on the boat I received.

Suggest reading the Vela thread as it contains the high and low points of the Vela objectively as well as how to fix the known issues the boat has. Information is key to making a good decision.

Here is a link to the Vela thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=vela&page=73

I posted a few pictures that show some nifty looking Seawinds to show you if you are in to doing a little custom paint work you can end up with something unique and personalized.

I have not had an RTR Seawind, mine have all been kit versions. I would have no problem getting one of the new RTR versions.

Another little thing to think about - the Vela is a very narrow boat which makes working on them a bid challenging when doing anything inside the boat. The Seawind is narrow too, but does has more room inside and decent access. The factory hatch on a Vela is a better set up than the factory Seawind hatch, but fixing the Seawind hatch is easy.

Might look for a resale or consider a Seawind kit. There are still some around and show up on the forum from time to time. Kits are fun and you learn a lot while putting them together. Food for thought.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Feb 01, 2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2015, 01:18 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,264 Posts
Is the new CF version made from epoxy or polyester resin?

If it is epoxy, then it would be more susceptible to heat deformation in a hot car trunk than the ABS version. It is never a good idea to leave any boat in a hot car, but even less so for epoxy hulls unless post cured at higher temps.

Just a thought for those in hot climates.
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Feb 01, 2015, 02:52 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,737 Posts
Good question. I don't know the answer. Polyester is less expensive than epoxy and according to what I have read, I think the better choice would be epoxy . Check out this link:http://www.oppracing.com/pages/carbon_fiber_101/

This is a good question to ask Kyosho. I can call them Monday to see if anyone knows at their California office might know.
Boomer

Nice article at this link: http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/show...olyester-resin
Last edited by Boomer1; Feb 01, 2015 at 03:17 PM.