SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM
United States, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Jan 2007
457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kknox View Post
I am going to PUKE.................... LOL all the twist and turns............ Just kidding.......

Nice video

Keith
yeah, he was having a tough time finding me.....low-res video feed and limited field of view is exactly why I don't care for FPV. I got a little aggrivated because I wanted to practice the IMAC basic routine, but my "nice guy" gene took over. I still had fun messing with him by doing stall turns and looping on him once!
circletree is offline Find More Posts by circletree
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM
Eastern PA
Joined Feb 2011
66 Posts
JustaPoke:
So what I'm using at the moment and highly recommend :

Aerodrive SK3 5055 (430kv) 378 gram 1750 W
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...125&aff=769394
Amp test with the Aeronaut 16x10 / SK3 5055 430kv / Plush 100A ESC
3700mAh 35c fully charged static: 75.63 A - 1717 W
-----------------

I was looking at this one, but question the quality of the HK motors. If cost wasn't an issue, would you suggest the Power 60 over the SK3 for power/ flight times/quality?
rabshell is online now Find More Posts by rabshell
Old Today, 07:59 AM
Aka: Ralph
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2012
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justapoke View Post
I have never had a Scorpion motor myself but I know they are very good quality and will probably give very good flight times.

Quick observation. In your post your amperage draw is 75.63 A @ 1717 Watts.
According to this HK link :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

The maximum Amps for this motor is 70 A @ 1750 Watts. Is that not pushing motor limits ?
dangerdan is offline Find More Posts by dangerdan
Old Today, 08:27 AM
United States, MI, Parchment
Joined May 2004
1,704 Posts
I'm not going to give a lot of advice because I have not towed a sailplane with my CZC. But having seen what it takes to from watching others tow, I would not have any problem towing a 3M sailplane with my Power 60, Talon 90, Xoar 16X8 prop, equipped CZC.

I would not have a problem betting that my Cub would do this will little or no problem what so ever. It sometimes stumps me, why folks keep trying to imporve on such a easy to install very well operational system.

Just my thoughts on the matter,
Bert
Sideslip is online now Find More Posts by Sideslip
Old Today, 08:52 AM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,648 Posts
I've seen stock Carbon Cubs tow 3+M Gliders off grass fields without issues. Obviously both pilots need to know what they are doing and climb out is going to be very scale like.

Edit:
I just looked up what a "Bird of Time" is, a stock Cub should have no problem with that plane. I'd be more concern if you were towing a larges scale glider then that.
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jrtubb; Today at 09:33 AM.
Old Today, 09:17 AM
United States, MI, Parchment
Joined May 2004
1,704 Posts
Bird of Time is more of a style of Sailplane. It can come in various sizes. But 3 meter is one of the most popular. I agree that the OEM CZC should be able to tow that size sailplane without much problem. But we all know that the motor and ESC in the stock CZC are just a little suspect. If I were interested in doing that type of thing with my CZC, I would install the equipment mentioned in my previuos post and go out and have a blast.
Sideslip is online now Find More Posts by Sideslip
Old Today, 03:53 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
2,170 Posts
Do we have a compiled list of lighting that's been used on the Cub ?

I want to add landing lights, strobe, red, green toggle landing with a radio switch and or mix to flaps.

Best setup and prices out there ?
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Today, 05:50 PM
Eastern PA
Joined Feb 2011
66 Posts
Scorpion motor for Aero Towing

Reply from Innov8tive:

According to the specs, this one weighs in at 8.15 pounds and has an 84 inch wingspan. The stock motor for this plane is an E-Flite BL50 525Kv model swinging a 15x5.5 prop. Looking at the photo above, you appear to have room for a 17 and possibly an 18 inch prop if needed. For glider towing, you want a low pitched prop that makes gobs of thrust at a relatively low airspeed. A 3-meter Bird of Time will weigh in at 3.5 to 4 pounds, depending on how you have it ballasted, so you will be dragging about 12 total pounds of airplanes through the air during a tow.

Looking at the Scorpion motors, the SII-4025-440 model would be the perfect choice to go with your Talon 90 ESC on 6 Li-Po cells. With an APC 16x8E prop you will get the following performance numbers at full throttle.

Volts – 22.2
Amps – 72.5
Watts – 1608
RPM – 7560
Thrust – 187 ounces
Pitch Speed – 57 MPH

This will give you more than enough power to get both planes off the ground quickly, and you will be able to tow at 2/3 to พ throttle once airborne.

If you ever have the need to haul up a larger plane, you can get a lot more thrust with a simple prop change. The Master Airscrew 16x8 3-blade prop is an extremely efficient propeller and actually provides more thrust, while pulling less current! Here are the full throttle performance numbers for the MA 16x8x3 prop on this motor.

Volts – 22.2
Amps – 65.8
Watts – 1461
RPM – 7750
Thrust – 220 ounces
Pitch Speed – 59 MPH

This prop pulls 10% less current than the APC 16x8E prop AND produces 17% more thrust! How great is that! With a total of 13.75 pounds of static thrust available, you could pull up a 5 or 6 pound glider with ease if you ever needed to by switching to this prop.

That would be my recommendation for you. Unfortunately, right now we are out of stock on this motor, but we do have them on order with the factory, and expect them to be in in a few weeks. If you would like to place one on backorder, you can call our office at the number listed below, and we can let you know when they arrive.

Thanks!

Lucien Miller
President & CEO
Innov8tive Designs, Inc.
rabshell is online now Find More Posts by rabshell
Old Today, 06:52 PM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabshell View Post
JustaPoke:

-----------------

I was looking at this one, but question the quality of the HK motors. If cost wasn't an issue, would you suggest the Power 60 over the SK3 for power/ flight times/quality?
Well I also question the quality of E-Flite motors as I have one died on me after just a few flights..

I'm aware that HK does sell serten items that are junk, but I've used several SK3 motors and overall they are very good quality.

I like the E-Flite brand, but my BL50 motor turned out to be junk, the stock prop adapter from E-Flite is junk, the spinner is junk.. so I realy do question the quality of E-flite hardware sometimes. I do still love my E-Flite CZC and Leader 480

Would I suggest the Power 60 over the SK3 for power/ flight times/quality if cost wasn't an issue?

Well if you search this thread, and read all the articles that are written about it you can find that I have spend quite some time to compare the setups in motorCalc / propCalc and the numbers that came up simply showed the SK3 is more powerfull And also gives better flight time.

I give a higher trust in the numbers in eCalc, than just a few people here shouting that a Power 60 and a Talon ESC is the (only) way to go?

I highly doubt the Eflite motors are higher quality, they have a higher price-tag because they do not sell in large volumes like the SK3's. That's what I believe. For all I know they might just come out of the exact same factory.. I don't believe E-Flite build these motors themselfs.

My setup has run great for months now with many flights. The Turnigy Plush (Hobbywing platinum) ESC's are also known as great quality.

So I'm sorry, but for me I simply don't see a real valid reason why I would have better spend 3 to 4 times more money on a Power 60 + other adapter + Talon ESC + a cosltly spinner etc.

If you like to spend more money on a setup simply because you like a brand-name.. be my guest.. I do buy expensive stuff / brands myself from time to time, but in general not on foam airplanes / this hobby.

People do need to stop thinking everything from HK is low quality..
they also sell Scorpion motors by the way! I might just try one some day
Justapoke is offline Find More Posts by Justapoke
Old Today, 06:56 PM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdan View Post
Quick observation. In your post your amperage draw is 75.63 A @ 1717 Watts.
According to this HK link :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

The maximum Amps for this motor is 70 A @ 1750 Watts. Is that not pushing motor limits ?
That was measured stattic.. in flight the motor does not get hot at all so it's not a problem.

There are no burst rates in the HK specs like those are listed with the E-flite motors.
Old Today, 07:10 PM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabshell View Post
Reply from Innov8tive:

According to the specs, this one weighs in at 8.15 pounds and has an 84 inch wingspan. The stock motor for this plane is an E-Flite BL50 525Kv model swinging a 15x5.5 prop. Looking at the photo above, you appear to have room for a 17 and possibly an 18 inch prop if needed. For glider towing, you want a low pitched prop that makes gobs of thrust at a relatively low airspeed. A 3-meter Bird of Time will weigh in at 3.5 to 4 pounds, depending on how you have it ballasted, so you will be dragging about 12 total pounds of airplanes through the air during a tow.

Looking at the Scorpion motors, the SII-4025-440 model would be the perfect choice to go with your Talon 90 ESC on 6 Li-Po cells. With an APC 16x8E prop you will get the following performance numbers at full throttle.

Volts – 22.2
Amps – 72.5
Watts – 1608
RPM – 7560
Thrust – 187 ounces
Pitch Speed – 57 MPH

This will give you more than enough power to get both planes off the ground quickly, and you will be able to tow at 2/3 to พ throttle once airborne.

If you ever have the need to haul up a larger plane, you can get a lot more thrust with a simple prop change. The Master Airscrew 16x8 3-blade prop is an extremely efficient propeller and actually provides more thrust, while pulling less current! Here are the full throttle performance numbers for the MA 16x8x3 prop on this motor.

Volts – 22.2
Amps – 65.8
Watts – 1461
RPM – 7750
Thrust – 220 ounces
Pitch Speed – 59 MPH

This prop pulls 10% less current than the APC 16x8E prop AND produces 17% more thrust! How great is that! With a total of 13.75 pounds of static thrust available, you could pull up a 5 or 6 pound glider with ease if you ever needed to by switching to this prop.

That would be my recommendation for you. Unfortunately, right now we are out of stock on this motor, but we do have them on order with the factory, and expect them to be in in a few weeks. If you would like to place one on backorder, you can call our office at the number listed below, and we can let you know when they arrive.

Thanks!

Lucien Miller
President & CEO
Innov8tive Designs, Inc.
Interesting to read.. so my guess bigger prop / lower pitch was right.

Sure looks like a nice motor, also comes with a bolt-on adapter that is a good thing.
If you try that one please post your findings!

Old Today, 07:13 PM
Joined Jul 2011
761 Posts
Quote:
I wonder if I could get away with the 16 x 8 x 3 on the Power 60 motor? Thoughts? Might try it out when it gets warm!!
rocket_33 is online now Find More Posts by rocket_33
Old Today, 07:25 PM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_33 View Post
I wonder if I could get away with the 16 x 8 x 3 on the Power 60 motor? Thoughts? Might try it out when it gets warm!!
The data is probably available in eCalc.

The 400 KV power 60 data is in the free version I think. Need a payed account for the Power 60 470KV if I remember correct. (sorry no time to check)

Otherwise just try and check if the motor runs hot.