HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2002, 12:23 PM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
Are you planning on using a GWS Basic TX?

If you have considered getting one of the micro heli derivatives that are being sold with the basic 4 ch GWS transmitter, please consider the following:

This applies to one that was made for US freq. use.

Pros: Very inexpensive, basic no thrills, workable with most micro heli basic set ups.

Con: Battery may not make proper contact and possiblility of you loosing control while heli is in the air. Fixable, though.

A customer of mine had bought this particular tx and sent it to me along with his House Fly for set up. The transmitter, at first glance, was almost self eliminating, since I am more used to better transmitters, even a Hitec basic 4 channel is much more realistic than this cheaper GWS transmitter. But bear with me...

Being optimistic and since it was for a customer, I got a little familiar with the tranmitter, not much really, set the trims set the servo reversing switches to the correct side and made adjustments on the heli on board electronics. His House FLY was equipped with a Piccoboard and a GWS 4 channel micro receiver. After a tidy up of the wires and connections and setting up the controls, it was time to give it a go.

I installed fresh 8 AA Alkaline cells. Turned on the tranmitter then RX and started flying, in the middle of the flight the HF dropped! its LG absorbed the rough landing, I thought loss of signal, but looking at the transmitter light, it was dead!.

Inspection of the battery compartment revealed that some of the battery terminals made poor contact and the back cover was a bit loose which may at times allow the batteries shifting and one may inadvertently press the cover with ones fingers to much and cause intermitent connection of batteries and eventually loss of power, no good when flying, specially a heli. Not sure if this was one particular case were the plastic cover on the tranmitter case was not locking properly, manufacturing defect perhaps?, taping the cover to the case solved the problem, and I sent a note along with suh to my customer.

I thought I share this experience with those of you considering this tranmitter. I am not saying the tranmitter is no good, because for its price it is not bad, it does what its supposed to do, if you are on a strict budget, just keep in mind the points of interest mentioned above and you should be fine.

I thought of soldering a connector for a nicad flat 8 cell battery that could be installed instead of the Alkaline cells. A charging connector can also be installed if you do it carefully. Of ourse with this work warranty is voided but it shouldn't be a problem since the tranmitter is very inexpensive to start with.

In general, I am still fond of GWS components and equipment as much as I am of Hitec, JR, Futba, Airtronics high end components, which I like to select depending on the application. For simplicity, cost and FUN!, GWS still gives a lot for the money.

Mario I. Arguello
www.micro-flight.com
Mario is offline Find More Posts by Mario
Last edited by Mario; Dec 30, 2002 at 01:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts