SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 04, 2005, 11:08 PM
Moderador.
guadalajara, jalisco, mexico
Joined Sep 2002
9,264 Posts
Canard in actuators, what do you think?

Hello guys, since I built my light canard plane that neded a reshape to normal configuration I still thinking in a canard plane....with do you think? I mean, maybe a canard plane and aileron controls, pusher prop...how about a tiny long EZ!!!!!!!! I love this plane I only flew one .049 control line when I started in airmodels many years ago, as the fuselage is very short, and the dificult to install an actuator in wing tips, I thought in aileron controls, as many guys has successfully aileron/actuator planes, but my worry is the canard elevator control, maybe a magnet centered the elevator control, this is the plan, I wish to build some diferent, JMP receiver, 2 home made magnetic actuators .5 gr. each, pusher M20 DD and aileron/elevator controls, foamy construction with a 6" long fuselage and cambered wings, advices welcome

Thanks guys.

Alfredo Rubio
Alfredo Rubio is offline Find More Posts by Alfredo Rubio
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2005, 12:07 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Sounds like a fun project, Alfredo. Use one actuator to run both ailerons. That makes the surfaces balance each other so the actuator doesn't have to lift them.
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old May 05, 2005, 05:29 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,264 Posts
Thanks Mike, do you think that a small actuator could move the ailerons? I have my 2 old big Seman actuators, 64 hms but each weighs 2 grams, I thought in small actuator for the canard/elevator and the big one in ailerons, to get more power in aileron response.

Cheers.

Alfredo Rubio
Old May 05, 2005, 06:27 PM
Senior to who? Member
Annapolis, Maryland USA
Joined Feb 2001
2,450 Posts
if you balance the elevator it wont droop. I am referring to balance around the hingeline, weight wise. Since actuator power is sometimes minimal, I like to also "aero" balance them with area forward of the hingeline which reduces the effort required to move it.
crossup is offline Find More Posts by crossup
Old May 05, 2005, 06:50 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,264 Posts
Cross, I like to build a Long EZ, with thin but long ailerons, the elevator can be build as yu say, but as the wings are long, the ailerons must to be slims...I hope you can understand, my english still not good

Cheers.

Alf
Old May 05, 2005, 08:14 PM
Senior to who? Member
Annapolis, Maryland USA
Joined Feb 2001
2,450 Posts
the shape doesnt matter. See pic below, trust me, this is what you want to do.
crossup is offline Find More Posts by crossup
Old May 05, 2005, 08:14 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Alfredo,

Long and thin is not a problem. Here is a picture of 6 1/2" long ailerons 1/2" wide. They are glued to a piece of .-3- CF rod. It is the stiffener, the torque rod and the pivot that runs inside 1/16" aluminum tube bearings.

The bigger actuators give you better, more positive control. It is worth the extra gram.
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old May 08, 2005, 02:42 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,264 Posts
Thanks guys, both advices are great!!!! with a biger actuator I think the best motor is an M20 with DD prop, I played with the idea of a didel 4.5 ohms motor and tiny plane.

Thanks.

Alf