HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2014, 04:57 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Jan 2008
114 Posts
Question
Naze32 Erratic Throttle

My first ever attempt at building a quad and I'm getting this weird throttle behavior. Made a quick video to demonstrate. Any thoughts would be helpful because I'm a little stumped?

Motors seem to work individually (one at a time) controlling from the baseflight application, but as soon as a signal is sent to all four at once, they do not want to spin properly (jitter).

Mini quad problem (2 min 36 sec)

Cheers,
Alex
draron is offline Find More Posts by draron
Last edited by draron; Nov 23, 2014 at 06:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2014, 09:36 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined Jan 2008
114 Posts
Re-soldered each point on the power distribution board thinking it may have been cold solder joints but no luck? Multiple esc calibrations and no change. Am I missing something? Could it be a faulty Naze32?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:22 PM
Team WarpSquad
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Jan 2014
3,130 Posts
It could be a faulty Nase32. There has been a number of recent reports about bad ones in the Nase32 for dummies thread. Go search and read that thread for more info.
waltr is online now Find More Posts by waltr
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:54 PM
Southwest VA, USA
Joined Apr 2008
192 Posts
When something weird is happening, the first step in my troubleshooting is to reflash the Naze32 back to default settings.
Do not customized it yet such as adding your own arming switch, etc.
Test it with the default setup and see if it behaves differently..or the same.

Hope this helps.
0leur is online now Find More Posts by 0leur
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:27 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined Jan 2008
114 Posts
Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltr View Post
It could be a faulty Nase32. There has been a number of recent reports about bad ones in the Nase32 for dummies thread. Go search and read that thread for more info.
Yes thank you. I had previously looked through the dummies thread and noted some cases of faulty boards, though couldn't find any cases with symptoms like mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0leur View Post
When something weird is happening, the first step in my troubleshooting is to reflash the Naze32 back to default settings.
Do not customized it yet such as adding your own arming switch, etc.
Test it with the default setup and see if it behaves differently..or the same.

Hope this helps.
Thank you, I took your advice and reset the board back to default. No luck I'm afraid, same problem. I can control them individually just fine but as soon as I try all four, they stutter and wont spin up.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 06:11 AM
United Kingdom, England, Warrington
Joined Jul 2013
642 Posts
I would say that the problem is with the ESCs, it looks like only one of the ESCs has a ground wire connected, the other three just have signal.

Why have you done that?

That means that their ground is via the main power ground wire,

Also what ESCs are you using and do you have any others to try?

Cosmic
cosmic2112 is online now Find More Posts by cosmic2112
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:35 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Apr 2013
207 Posts
Does that dragonlink receiver have telemetry? If so, try turning it off. Also try moving your RC transmitter farther from the quad. 433 MHz can induce noise onto the ESC signal output wires. Try Googling "Naze output jitter with 433 LRS" for more info.
T0nkaTruckDriver is online now Find More Posts by T0nkaTruckDriver
Old Nov 25, 2014, 03:47 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Jan 2008
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic2112 View Post
I would say that the problem is with the ESCs, it looks like only one of the ESCs has a ground wire connected, the other three just have signal.

Why have you done that?

That means that their ground is via the main power ground wire,

Also what ESCs are you using and do you have any others to try?

Cosmic
The power and ground wire attached to the servo plug only exist as part of the BEC part of each ESC. Only one 'set' is needed to provide power and ground to the flight controller. It should not matter if the ground to each ESC is provided through the battery wires. By removing the power and ground lines from three of the ESC's it eliminates having four 5v lines coming into the naze32 and saves the potential of ground loops. I believe there are many builds that follow this method, though correct me if I have made a mistake.

I'm using 12A Afro ESC's. Unfortunately I don't have a spare set of ESC's available to test with. If the ESC's were at fault, wouldn't that mean they wont work individually like they are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver View Post
Does that dragonlink receiver have telemetry? If so, try turning it off. Also try moving your RC transmitter farther from the quad. 433 MHz can induce noise onto the ESC signal output wires. Try Googling "Naze output jitter with 433 LRS" for more info.
I think that the dragonlink has the ability for telemetry but it is not available in the current firmware (still under development). I thought about interference from the 433 MHz band as well, however I still get the same behavior with my transmitter turned off and controlling the motors with the 'master' motor control in the baseflight application.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 05:10 AM
United Kingdom, England, Warrington
Joined Jul 2013
642 Posts
I have Afro 12amp and 20 amp ESCs and I always connect signal, power and ground wires without any problems. I don't thiunk you will get ground loops, that is more for audio circuits you have to worry about that, we are talking digital here.

Also remeber that the BECs in those Afros are only rated at 0.5 amp and by only connecting one BEC you have no redundancy, better to connect all 4 and let them share the current betwen them (though it will not be evenly shared but it will take all the load off just one BEC) and helps to prevent just one of the ESCs getting hot just from the BEC heat.

Hope that makes sense..

Cosmic
cosmic2112 is online now Find More Posts by cosmic2112
Old Nov 25, 2014, 06:32 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Jan 2008
114 Posts
Ah good points, I forgot that the current rating on those ESC's was so small. I will leave all four connected to the naze from now on. Though my problem still exists... I have a feeling it may be the naze itself :/

Alex
Old Today, 04:17 PM
Brownsburg,IN
Joined Dec 2006
307 Posts
Naze32 Erratic Throttle

Is ur naze32 board facing the correct direction? Looking in video, it looks like ur board is facing to the left instead of forward.

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417123216.711378.jpg
Views: 3
Size: 208.9 KB
Description:
silvr_tung_devl is offline Find More Posts by silvr_tung_devl