SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:49 AM
Joined Dec 2012
20 Posts
Discussion
Starting with 3.5ch - going 4ch v911 & possible 6? (Multi topic discussion/question)

How/why do coaxial helicopter seem to be the most popular type of helicopters? I have a 3.5 that has been sitting with a broken blade and got tired of messing with it so I bought a couple v911's. Ordered some more coaxial blades and last night I broke a B1 blade and this morning my other B1 blade broke so now it is sitting idle again until ??? . There is a 7kph wind where I am. Not mph but kph. My coaxial is 24".

I am wondering is why the most popular/1st advertied for sale on RC sites always seem to be 3.5ch coaxials?

4 channels are supposed to be harder to fly than 3.5 coaxials yet to me the 4ch seems WAY easier than the 3.5. I can whip my v911's around like nothing low or high in air it does not matter and with higher that 7kph winds. Yes I still crash it but at least I can move it around good. My V911 problem is super short battery life and nose diving on FF but at least the thing doesn't break on crashes.

For the most part I have been reading around that coaxial are best suited for indoor use so why would they make a 66" coaxial http://www.ebay.ca/itm/66-168-cm-QS8...ht_7654wt_1318 when a 24" can't even seem to do anything? How would you fly a 66" helicopter indoors?

Is there anyone else around the forums that seem to be able to fly 4channel good but can't seem to do anything with a 3.5 or am I the only one

Also would being able to fly a 4ch 10 times better than a 3.5 be any kind of an indicator that I would be able to START with a 6ch CP? ATM I am more interested in scale flying than 3d flying. Re: learning 6ch CP, I am known to not be the most patient person in the world so would my lack of patience mean I should just stick to 4ch? 6ch would be a big price jump and I don't want to break a $250-500 heli 1st time up. I want something that is flyable outdoors but bigger that a v911 and obviously NOT coaxial in about the 24-30" range. Right now I'm looking at a MJX F45 or DH 9117 but am wondering if I should just say screw it and take the jump to a 6ch CP since I'm half decent with the v911.

I guess the last question is for people that had v911's and got tired of them what was your next heli YOU bought after the v911? Not asking where should I go after the v911 but what heli did **YOU YOURSELF** go with after the v911??
Total RC NooB is offline Find More Posts by Total RC NooB
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:13 AM
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2013
87 Posts
When I get ready, I'm going for the V450D03 and upgrade to the Devo10. I don't plan on doing any 3D though. My plan is to fly scale heli's as well. I like the feeling of that huge, almost real looking heli in the air.

I'm probably going to purchase a blade, maybe the mCP X v2 while I save up for the 450 (or get it as a Christmas present... whichever comes first).

As for why someone would want such a large coaxial? I have no clue. I heard that particular model doesn't fly well and has been known to just drop out of the air for no apparent reason. It's cool though.
Quickdraw62 is offline Find More Posts by Quickdraw62
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:21 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I would be very careful around websites that feature a lot of 3 channel toys. I wouldn't buy anything I wasn't familiar with. 3 channel coaxes are only popular with rank beginners that don't know any better. They are very cheap to make, have big markups and are extremely easy to fly, so lots of people are tempted to try them. Those big ones are especially appealing to those that think they can fly them outdoors, like a real RC heli. It's like shooting fish in a barrel, easy money for any merchant. To anyone with any knowledge or experience, coaxes are pretty much dead. They appeal to a handful of diehard coax fans and that's about all. They have long since been replaced by micro FP helis and quads.

Your skill with a V911 is not indicative of much. It's not much of a challenge after about a week and is considerably below what was the beginner level 5 years ago. THe MJX F45 is even easier to fly, so it won't teach you anything more than the V911, and doesn't handle wind any better than a coax. DH products are junk, avoid them. When you can take off, hover and land in all orientations, you are ready to try something more difficult. A micro quad would be a much better next step, if learning to fly 6 channels is your objective. If not, the F45 will keep you occupied for sometime, trying to make it better.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Feb 23, 2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:46 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw62 View Post
As for why someone would want such a large coaxial? I have no clue. I heard that particular model doesn't fly well and has been known to just drop out of the air for no apparent reason. It's cool though.
It was designed by an 8 year old with no flight experience. It's a crazy bad piece of junk that came out of a aeronautical engineers' nightmare. It's the worst of the worst RC things I have ever had the displeasure to try to help someone fly.

It's a collection of parts that fit together, but there was no engineering to ask 'how would this fly?'

It's like a paperweight with a motor and flashing lights. A paperweight that could hurt you badly. I can't believe it is so popular.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:00 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
I'm agreeing also with Bair14 about the quad. They are pretty fun, and light years ahead of what you've been messing around with.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777