HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:45 AM
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Feb 2013
410 Posts
Question
Dollar Store Foam? How well does it work?

How does the Dollar Store Foam board perform on 3d Extra 300 or whatever?
cessna20122013 is offline Find More Posts by cessna20122013
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:59 AM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Garland, Tx.
Joined Mar 2002
1,111 Posts
I don't know. Why not try searching for dollar tree, foam board, ready board and/or Adams and after reading several thousand posts about it maybe you can tell us. Also look up member name Springer and see what he has done with it.

Sorry to seem snarky but have you done much reading or searching on the matter yet? Probably only about 1/10 of the threads in this section have references to the Dollar Tree foam board and there may only be a few dozen threads about Extras and a few more threads about other similar aerobatic and 3D aircraft.

J.P.
TheAeronut is offline Find More Posts by TheAeronut
Last edited by TheAeronut; Feb 17, 2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:29 AM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Garland, Tx.
Joined Mar 2002
1,111 Posts
And the short answer is that it works very well. Some reinforcement is required on any but the smallest models made from this or most any foam sheet. There are many examples of models, build and reinforcement techniques in the pages of this forum. Almost all aerobatic models are built with the paper removed from the foam and most use some carbon fiber strip or tube reinforcement.

J.P.
TheAeronut is offline Find More Posts by TheAeronut
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:55 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,859 Posts
Aw, shoot, Aeronut got on ahead of me! My answer was gonna be" lousy, nobody uses it around here!" after which I would have gotten serious and told you pretty much what he did, that it works fine as long as you respect it. Not as strong or as thick as fff or MPF or Depron, but with proper doubling and other reinforcing it makes great planes.

Unfortunately your question in this forum is pretty much like the Bill Cosby sketch of a hundred years ago on "why is there air?" But trying hard to resist the temptation to be smart alecks, we'll answer all questions (sometimes we fail, though....to avoide being smart alecks, that is)

If you do a search on Quicksilver, you will find a plane I did several years ago. The fuse is dollar store foam, rolled into a oval tube while the wings are Fanfold (it was before MPF arrived) This plane has flown for maybe 4 years, spent a month and a half in a bean field (lost it), was found, did some minor patching and continues to fly fine. DS foam is good building material.

Also, I notice you have only a few posts. If you're not familar with RCG, then be sure to look at the page header and find the search buttons. There's one for each thread, forum and the whole site, so you can find most anything. I use it a lot!

Enjoy the addiction!
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OneSheeter#17 OSC140 debut
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:15 AM
O. C. CA
Joined Jan 2005
816 Posts
A fast build out of Dollar foam.

H.
himeros is offline Find More Posts by himeros
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:33 AM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,325 Posts
dollar store foam is great for getting the hang of building and you can make some really nice planes with it but i find Modelplanefoam nicer to work with overall. It has a tougher finish and doesnt get beat up on the bench or in the air as much as dt foam
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor