HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:25 PM
Noob
United States, CA, Moreno Valley
Joined Jan 2012
59 Posts
So will the page not be updated until after Christmas? I know your not shipping until then just wanted to throw in my order so i could forget about it and be surprised later lol
Irock1985 is offline Find More Posts by Irock1985
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:25 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,362 Posts
Irock, I really would like to get them listed, but we're not going to do the pre-order thing as that's turned bad for other resellers in the past. There's a bunch of spares we also have to get listed as well. Family comes first, but the 26th will probably be a sleepless night for us. Thanks for your patience.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:54 PM
Noob
United States, CA, Moreno Valley
Joined Jan 2012
59 Posts
Ok cool I just don't want to miss the first round out.... The wife owes me a present
Irock1985 is offline Find More Posts by Irock1985
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:04 AM
Joined Feb 2011
5,362 Posts
If there's some chance these things sell out quickly we'll see that RC Groups members get first dibbs. Actually all of you that have messaged and said "Take my money now!!", we'll make sure we reserve enough units for you guys if by some miracle there's a V202 purchase craze.

So some more observations. I sold one to a local customer who called me saying his wouldn't take off and had flashing LEDS. I decided to take a discharged battery, install it and fly and after a minute or so got the same symptoms. The quad will flash the LEDs rapidly and won't power the motors letting you know "Charge me I'm hungry!!", so that's a nice feature. I'll have to do the test again to see if it gradually reduces power or simply cuts power, but I believe it's the former as I always know when the battery is getting low and swap it.

I never fly my WL Toys models at 20% mode, but just for the heck of it decided to try the V202 at 20%. I'm amazed that I was able to fly up and down our narrow stairs and down the hallway (well they're standard stairs, but stairs by nature are narrow) at 20% like it was nothing.

One thing that you'll notice with the V202 is that rarely exhibits the 'overcompensation' issue where you over-correct and have to re-correct.

The more I fly this quad the more I like it, and I loved it from first flight.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:50 PM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
972 Posts
subbed in expectation.
gentle ben is offline Find More Posts by gentle ben
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:39 PM
United States, GA, Mt Airy
Joined Dec 2001
996 Posts
My finger is getting tired hovering over where the buy button should be
UniversalRC is online now Find More Posts by UniversalRC
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:44 PM
United States, GA, Mt Airy
Joined Dec 2001
996 Posts
Or.....

Lets see, Mt Airy GA to Melbourne FL = 583 miles

Just an 8 hr. and 58 min road trip
UniversalRC is online now Find More Posts by UniversalRC
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:47 PM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Ya I'm ready to click the buy button too...
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
One mod that unleashes the LEDs on the V202\V939 is to either remove the LED holders and superglue the LEDs in place
MO from what you've seen of the 202's assembly / construction does it look like the LED's could be swapped out for different colors without too much brain damage? I'm just so damn trained in port & starboard red and green that 'front and back' instead isn't my first choice.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5,362 Posts
The LEDs can be pulled out of their hole, the leads cut and new ones soldered on. You may have to remove the RX board to get some extra slack. I don't know about the resistance though, but I'm sure some LED gurus will chime in.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Just so long as they can be removed and replaced. The resistance for the LED's is already set up for 3.7 volts so all the stuff I use now will work.

Quote:
The motor mounts aren't always mounted parallel to the boom, which can cause some drifting, which may or may not be able to be trimmed out completely.
MO have you seen this much? I'm with you, when flying outside such a problem wouldn't matter much but there are times cuz of weather I fly inside alot. I don't need hands off hover at all, I'm just curious. Your vid with the Christmas tree and flips showed it's plenty stable.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5,362 Posts
BD part of my namesake is my philosphy for perfection (to the point of overkill). Looking at some of the ones where one motor mount is off, it's visually disturbing. You cuss Chinese QC standards and I think to myself, how the hell can I sell this?

Those concerns slowly melt away when you fly her. The control of this quad is very nice. I let my step daughter's BF fly it tonight, who's flown her Mini Pet, and the H36 I gave him for Christmas and the first comment out of his mouth was "it's so precise". I may have to hire the boy if we grow as he seems to be a decent flyer. I had him try his hands at the X4 and while it was behaving he tried some flips and pulled some off, but he also admitted flips in the V202 was easier.

One thing I hate about the X4 is that it's so damn temperamental. Give me perfect props or I'll fly crappy!! My other quads don't bitch about using the exact same props. Putting aside the fact that a balanced prop will make your quad fly better, it's a PITA to fly one that won't fly at all without them. Not everyone wants to spend 5-10 minutes balancing each prop that they'll have to swap out after a few crashes. Less maintenance and more fun I say.

Your observation of my inside flight is spot on...the programming makes the quad so stable that I'm confident that it can adjust for mechanical variances. Look at the corrections I make when in front of the camera vs my other videos I've take with other quads when trying to get close to the camera. In my other videos its overcorrect, correct, overcorrect. When my X4 taps the wall, it's on the ground, when the MP taps the wall, it's on the ground. The v202 I tapped the wall twice and made a nice recovery on each (except at the end where I could no longer see the quad behind the stairs).

One thing I've doing alot more since getting my hands on the V202 is doing circuits around trees, between telephone anchor wires, and doing more obstacle-course like stuff. With my other quads I have to do a zig-zag type of course, but with the V202, you choose an eliptical or circular line like you're in a NASCAR oval race and it follows that line, which makes it so predictable.

Even though the V202 has motor plugs, you still have to unsolder the plugs to remove the motors.
I've take a couple and have obtained enough slack to pull the motor mount off the boom, scraped the plastic roof inside the motor mount and stuck it back on so the motor angle isn't so bad. The other thing you could do is shove a piece of plastic (piece of zip tie) betwen the LED housing and motor mount, which will also help tweak the motor more true.

I really can't wait for more of you to get your hands on it to confirm whether what I'm saying is all hype and it's just me, or if you see experience the same thing I do when you fly it.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Sep 2010
74 Posts
Just created an account and have some parts in the basket, waiting for the V202 and I'll head for checkout. Thanks for the effort guys (MO, James).
Jakk is offline Find More Posts by Jakk
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:00 AM
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Quote:
Even though the V202 has motor plugs, you still have to unsolder the plugs to remove the motors.
If I'm reading this correctly, you're saying there's not a second intermediate plug from the motor to the boom, as in the 929, just the single plug at the board with the heat shrink (your first picture pg. 1) being the part needing the disassembly / de-soldering?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:09 AM
Joined Feb 2011
5,362 Posts
There's a power plug for each motor and then a combined plug for the LEDs, which is the same as it was for the V939. Because all the LED leds are combined into one plug, it really negates the purpose of having plugs in the first place, to replace an arm assembly or motor without having to solder.

Now in all fairness, I haven't looked under the heat shrink to verify if the connections are soldered, just twisted together, or really really small banana-type plugs but I seriously doubt it's the last one.
Site Sponsor