SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 08, 2012, 01:48 AM
Western Australia
Joined Nov 2005
95 Posts
Question
HK Missing freebies?

I recently made a $250-ish buy from HK, and was offered a freebie, if I spent more than $100. I loaded up the cart and went to fetch the freebie. I was told it could not be backordered. I checked the stock of the item and it was out of stock. I emailed HK asking what about it (civilly) and since then over several emails, where I have explained and expanded info as much as I could, I have much the same message. I need to (a) buy more then $100 (b) then go to get my freebie.

I even asked for a replacement of equiv value. That has never even been addressed.

SO. Has anyone else had this happen? I ask just for interest, as it was only worth about $10, but I can get stubborn. I just want to know for future reference.

Thanks for any help

Nick
OldNick is offline Find More Posts by OldNick
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2012, 09:31 PM
Manila Ninoy Intl, Philippines
Joined Nov 2001
1,325 Posts
Sounds like you missed it.

The freebie offer expires when it goes out of stock.

You can put a freebie in your cart when you have over $100.00, it should go in at $0.00, provided it is in stock when you add it.

Provided it's in your cart, you will still get it when you checkout, but if they don't have stock, it will be listed as BK (backorder), which will delay your order until they get new stocks. They will ship it with your order once it is in stock.

The mechanics of the freebie is documented here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1535601
deadduck is offline Find More Posts by deadduck
Old May 27, 2012, 10:48 PM
Western Australia
Joined Nov 2005
95 Posts
OK. Thanks. I wish support had simply said that.

Trouble was I was told "This item cannot be backordered" so I did not even get the choice of waiting.
Old May 28, 2012, 01:45 AM
Suspended Account
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Jan 2012
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
OK. Thanks. I wish support had simply said that.

Trouble was I was told "This item cannot be backordered" so I did not even get the choice of waiting.
What did you expect from HK?
countilaw is offline Find More Posts by countilaw
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 28, 2012, 02:01 AM
Western Australia
Joined Nov 2005
95 Posts
I did not know until I tried it. They do have decent prices though. I could never justify RC stuff without this incredibly cheap Asian stuff.
Old May 28, 2012, 02:30 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2012
239 Posts
old nick,
You will soon learn that most of the stuff they offer is second class junk. And then mixed in with the junk is stuff that is just DOA that you will have a very hard time getting a replacement or refund.

They will stall you until the disput time runs out.

I believe that most people that get a $5.00 battery that is DOA, they just accept it and move on. HK made the $5.00 plus the out landish shippping costs.

Man, Don't feed the Dragon. That's the only answer.

Frank
Old May 28, 2012, 05:14 AM
Western Australia
Joined Nov 2005
95 Posts
hmmm....I will see how I go, but I have to give it a go. I currently have a couple of RC planes and gear that I would not have without the cheap stuff, and if I prang them it does not hurt much. I am just a casual player in this field, and this gives me a chance to have a go, I guess.

I may well end up disgruntled and I am sorry you have become that way. Without any attempt at sarcasm, I am sure you have good reason. I have walked away from several cheap establishments, because I became sick of the disorganisation and dead/crappy gear, don't worry.

I have the same situation with RC cars. People say don;t buy the cheap stuff, but if it breaks, I pay $5 and get a replacement part. I am not competing, just relaxing, so it just does not bother me.

If I have say a 20% chance of failure and can pay 1/5th the price.....
Old May 28, 2012, 07:58 AM
The END.....ha!
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by countilaw View Post
Don't lose interest in the hobby, just stop using HK and other Chinese companies. Buy local, even if it cost a few dollars more it's still cheaper than dealing with the headaches of dealing with over seas companies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by countilaw View Post
Makes you wonder why they have a customer service chat, when they don't know anything about the problem or can find out anything about your problem. Seems they are there just to say they have customer service, yet all they do is stall you, by telling the customer to contact another department.

I have never shopped with them and never will. I think anything they have, I can do without.

Frank
I believe the second quote probably speaks volumes.

Nick, Shame about the freebie, they cycle in and out all the time, just keep an eye out for them, I'm yet to get one either. I'm either buying from the Aus warehouse and it's an international freebie (so it doesn't count) or it's a freebie that I don't need.

Cheers. Mark
KCV6 is offline Find More Posts by KCV6
Old May 28, 2012, 02:32 PM
Western Australia
Joined Nov 2005
95 Posts
HAH! A freebie you don't need! ??? Being an inveterate magpie and auction goer, I find that almost impossible to understand! I'd hire a dumpster but they would have to sue me to get it back!
Old May 29, 2012, 09:32 AM
Western Australia
Joined Nov 2005
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCV6 View Post

Cheers. Mark
.... It went away?!!! But yes I agree. I tried to sympathise with the poster, but WTH? I assume there was some sort of attack
Old May 29, 2012, 09:32 AM
Western Australia
Joined Nov 2005
95 Posts
fix
Old May 29, 2012, 02:46 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2012
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCV6 View Post

Nick, Shame about the freebie, they cycle in and out all the time, just keep an eye out for them, I'm yet to get one either. I'm either buying from the Aus warehouse and it's an international freebie (so it doesn't count) or it's a freebie that I don't need.

Cheers. Mark

No, Nick, it wasn't an attack on you. just a simple question as to what you expected from them.

KVC6 attacked me with his bringing up a quote from the past about me not buying from HK. And then using it to say I didn't know what was talking about by saying that my statement speaks volumnes. You see he wants to attack me for not shopping with his favorite supplier. If it had been me making the same statement about him I would been hearing from a moderator for a personal attack

Before I shop with an over seas supplier, I do my research. Regardless how cheap the prices are, if that research illustrates that the suppler has issues
with anything, I just stay away and pass that information along to other unsuspecting shoppers.

So what good are cheap prices if much of the stuff you order is back ordered and they hold your entire order until that back orered part is restocked?

Customer service would dictate that they ship your order and then when the back ordered stuff comes in, they ship it at their expense.

If the Freebie is back ordered, they ship your order and when they get the freebie in stock, they ship it to you at their expense.

If past history indicates that many of thier battery products arrive DOA, then why take the chance on obtaining a DOA product and have to wait weeks, even months to get a replacement.

If past history indicates that shipping is extremely slow, ( except to a few people on here that swear they get all their orders in a matter of days) and I don't care to wait. I will order from somewhere else.

If people report that they can't get through on the "online chat" for hours, Other people should know about it. (Even though a few people on here claim that they can get through in a matters of minutes).

My money and time are valuable to me and I'm not going to waste either on a supplier that can't or won't give me good customer service along with a good price on a quality product, which HK can not seem to do. (Except for a certain few people on here that claim that they get a great product, fast shipping and great customer service on every order.)

It is also well known that HK pays people to answer poster questions while acting as happy well serviced customers. You can see their advertisment on that subject on their site. So when I see someone praising HK for the great customer service and quality products, I take everything they say with a grain of salt.

So no, I wasn't attacking you. And I'm sorry if you took it that way.

Frank
Old May 29, 2012, 09:25 PM
Western Australia
Joined Nov 2005
95 Posts
I did not say you were attacking me! You are attacking HK. Your second post was far more than a question about what I expected. When I found you had had no experiences of your own....

What you don't know is how many orders were shipped to caused the reported problems. What proportion of the total orders generate problems? As I said, if I can pay a whole lot less, and have a 20% chance of failure ( which I reckon is higher than actual), that's a gamble I am willing take.

_IF_ HK are actually paying people to pretend to be happy, why would that be? Because 95% of people just do not bother to say that something is all good for them.

None of this is that important to me. At the most it's a hobby. I reckon there are many others like me. I wait until the item is not backordered, then I buy. The freebie ticked me off a bit and I wondered how prevalent it was, in fact just to see what to expect....., but I got two very cheap planes that seem fine. And I was not about to post to just say so.

I do have stuff that is important to me, and like you I read the forums and reviews before I buy from OS companies. But I am spending thousands. I have yet to have a problem with any of the places I buy my photo gear from. IF I had a negative personal experience THEN I might start shouting on public forums. However I have saved so much now that if I had a complete loss on a lens or camera, I would still be ahead. I did have one bad experience, on my first purchase as it turned out. I made it so unpleasant for them that they caved and refunded me, freight at their expense. Then I started to read forums and reviews. BUT: I am VERY careful about walking away from a bargain until I see the entire picture and asses that actual risk, and I would not make a huge effort to keep hammering without personal experience.

Anyway. I have achieved my purpose regarding my original question, thanks to Mark and deadduck. So I think I may exit stage left about here.