HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2011, 06:00 PM
Dayton Montgomery, Ohio, United States
Joined Dec 2002
466 Posts
Discussion
Balsa USA NorthStar

Has anyone converted one of these over to electric ? I have an abundance of 4c 4000Mah Lipos I use for many planes... and with a 40 - 60 sized brushless... maybe an 8c setup ? all I've read is that it needs alotta weight in the nose to balance with a .40-.50 glow motor in it... so running 2 -- 4 cell 4000 batteries should balance it.

Opinions and suggestions ? Also it looks as if the largest prop you can get on one is an 11" prop

I've got a Polaris ( foamie baby brother to the Northstar) and I love the way it flies

Suggestions on setups ?

thanks in advance

Joe
plasticjoe is online now Find More Posts by plasticjoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2011, 05:37 PM
Lake Orion, MI
Joined Jul 2004
91 Posts
I just did one. Even got it to fly a few times... Then my inexperience with delta wing-ed aircraft showed it's ugliness..

Flying too low, got it too far out of vertical and rolled it right into the lake at throttle. Added to the embarrassment by having Laddie M. (designer) spotting for me. While it was in the air he reported that it appeared to have pretty much the same performance as the E-conversion he had done himself.

I was flying on 6S A123 (2300 MaH) cells that were placed as far forward as I could get them. .46 sized brushless. The puck of lead up front had been removed.

I'll look up the exact specs and post some pictures over the next few days as I find the files. I will work on re-building and it will fly again.
Robyn_r is offline Find More Posts by Robyn_r
Old Dec 03, 2011, 11:34 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn_r View Post
I just did one. Even got it to fly a few times... Then my inexperience with delta wing-ed aircraft showed it's ugliness..

Flying too low, got it too far out of vertical and rolled it right into the lake at throttle. Added to the embarrassment by having Laddie M. (designer) spotting for me. While it was in the air he reported that it appeared to have pretty much the same performance as the E-conversion he had done himself.

I was flying on 6S A123 (2300 MaH) cells that were placed as far forward as I could get them. .46 sized brushless. The puck of lead up front had been removed.

I'll look up the exact specs and post some pictures over the next few days as I find the files. I will work on re-building and it will fly again.
Look forward to your photos!

DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:23 AM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,824 Posts
I would like to see pics too. The Northstar is something I always wanted and I am contemplating building one with electric power.

Pete
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:04 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
6,042 Posts
The North Star is a great conversion since it is lightly loaded and usually needs lead in the nose...
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined Dec 2002
466 Posts
I have the kit so now the fun begins.... a winter build for the son and I. We'll take pics along the way and post them.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:00 PM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,205 Posts
Go to waterplanes and do a search, you can find some electric North Star info, such as this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611111
pmisuinas is offline Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Old Jan 31, 2012, 05:42 PM
Go fast, pull up.
United States, NY, Clarence Center
Joined Nov 2008
1,765 Posts
Crashed my northstar using a evolution .46 and rebuilt it using a 6S 5000 mah 40c pack in the nose and a turnigy easy match 46 along with a 60A esc.

Second flight with electric and I had the same problem, which was the nose dropping in turns. After an easy turn towards home, a gust of wind (about 20mph) pushed the bottom and forced the nose towards the ground. No amount of elevator could save it as it nose dived into the recently frozen ground.

Comparing it to another northstar i purchased recently, my elevator surface was only about 1" compared to the purchased one at about 1.5 to 2". I know my CG was dead on before the crash but I wonder if the elevator was perhaps to small on my build. Given, it was my first ever kit build.
Fidelity101 is offline Find More Posts by Fidelity101
Old Feb 13, 2012, 01:44 PM
Central Lake, Michigan
Joined Dec 2002
1,414 Posts
I know someone who flies one using a Scorpion 3026-710 ( I believe) and 5S pack. Goes like snake. Flight report as I am told is that it flies very well.
I've seen this one fly several times and very impressed with it. This may be another on my kits to buy list.
Also you know there is a foamie version called the Polaris XL which flies very well also.
jollyroger is offline Find More Posts by jollyroger
Old Feb 16, 2012, 03:15 AM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger View Post
I know someone who flies one using a Scorpion 3026-710 ( I believe) and 5S pack. Goes like snake. Flight report as I am told is that it flies very well.
I've seen this one fly several times and very impressed with it. This may be another on my kits to buy list.
Also you know there is a foamie version called the Polaris XL which flies very well also.
Any chance of having your friend post his setup and/or pics?
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:07 PM
Central Lake, Michigan
Joined Dec 2002
1,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespicyfood View Post
Any chance of having your friend post his setup and/or pics?
I don't know. I can talk to him and find out exactly what is being used and if he will post it. I don't know how much he touches down here on RC Groups if he does at all.
If not I'll post it.
jollyroger is offline Find More Posts by jollyroger
Old Mar 26, 2012, 02:06 PM
United States, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Apr 2006
1,005 Posts
Here's my North Star. I built it from the original kit from Balsa USA back in the late 80's. They "improved" that kit to the current version giving a little more prop clearance and I think they made the bottom of the fuselage stronger. Mine blew out during a water landing.

HelloScott is offline Find More Posts by HelloScott
Old Mar 26, 2012, 02:11 PM
United States, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Apr 2006
1,005 Posts
Here's the YouTube video of it flying...and the bottom blowing out. I'd flown it several times prior, but the water was choppy that day. It took off, the skipped once before trying to lift off. That's when the bottom caved in.

As it was designed back then, it had like a 3/32" floor covered with ultralight fiberglass cloth and resin to keep weight down.

Mine needed nose weight anyway (like 4 ounces!) so I just redid the floor with lite ply to fix it. Been dandy ever since.

Northstar R/C Float Plane landing on Norris Lake = Blowout! (0 min 49 sec)
HelloScott is offline Find More Posts by HelloScott
Old Jun 05, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined Dec 2002
466 Posts
Finally got the kit biult and covered.... checked the motor out and on a 10x10 prop... and a 6s 5000... it will be about 1300 watts. Now just to get the servos in... control horns on.. and linkages ran. I've decided to put a flight pack on or maybe a separate BEC. I lost my Polaris last weekend flying off the water at the lake... speed control burnt out and in the drink it went from about 150 ft up. I didn't like the no control feeling... so therefore separate flight pack will give me peace of mind.
Should fly it the week after the 4th of July is my goal at least.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Feb 2009
96 Posts
PlasticJoe,
What brand and model# electric motor are you using?
picardn is offline Find More Posts by picardn