HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:23 AM
antipodean recalcitrant
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
3,171 Posts
Question
Old Multiplex P4000 and Cockpit - upgrade to 2.4ghz or switch brands?

I've been out of the hobby for a couple of years during which time radio gear has obviously undergone a lot of change and the options have multiplied!

I have a MPX Profi MC 4000 and a Cockpit (SX, I think?). I'm trying to decide whether it is worth upgrading the transmitters to 2.4ghz and buying suitable receivers or moving entirely to some other system.

The usage will be mainly for slope gliders and occasional electrics.

I would be grateful for any advice re upgrading these old sets, or otherwise.

Thanks,
Anton
AntonL is offline Find More Posts by AntonL
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2011, 02:23 AM
Sunday flyer
Gdansk, Poland
Joined Aug 2007
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonL View Post
I have a MPX Profi MC 4000 and a Cockpit (SX, I think?). I'm trying to decide whether it is worth upgrading the transmitters to 2.4ghz and buying suitable receivers or moving entirely to some other system.

The usage will be mainly for slope gliders and occasional electrics.

I would be grateful for any advice re upgrading these old sets, or otherwise.

Thanks,
Anton
Both are still great transmitters for their class, especially for the gliders.
If you need/want 2.4, there are many options worth considering.
For the cheapest I can recommend Frsky, but there's also Jeti or Weatronic worth looking at.
I'm flying with the SX with the Frsky telemetry module.

Michal
mikon is offline Find More Posts by mikon
Old Aug 29, 2011, 03:25 AM
antipodean recalcitrant
Joined Feb 2004
3,171 Posts
Thanks Michal.

I will most likely go down the upgrade path as both transmitters are in good condition and should be fine for a few more years of use.

Are the transmitter modules intended to be installed by the end user or is it necessary to have a technician do it?

Is XPS worth considering too?
Old Aug 29, 2011, 04:08 AM
Deutschland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Geilenkirchen
Joined Aug 2007
772 Posts
Quote:

I will most likely go down the upgrade path as both transmitters are in good condition and should be fine for a few more years of use.
What about consideration switching to Multiplexes own "M-Link"-System? It comes with build-in-Telemetrie and it is designed to fit in your TXes.

Quote:
Are the transmitter modules intended to be installed by the end user or is it necessary to have a technician do it?
If you want to switch completely over to 2,4 GHz, it is very easy to make, no soldering. But if you want it switcheable between MHz and GHz it will be a little more complicated.

Quote:
Is XPS worth considering too?
No, don't ride a dead horse.

Udo
udogigahertz is online now Find More Posts by udogigahertz
Old Aug 29, 2011, 04:18 AM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,068 Posts
I have a p4000 and a cockpit MM. The p4000 was converted to Jeti Duplex about 18 months ago after a similar deliberation. I concluded that the only radio that came close to my p4000 was the Futaba FX30 (tray version of the 12FG). The cost of a Jeti conversion versus a new transmitter made the decision easy and I don't regret buying Jeti at all. It's worked flawlessly from day one. I used the TU module which required a little work inside the transmitter. Since I bought it there is now a TMP module designed for profi transmitters and it looks like it is just a plug and play unit with the exception that you need to fit the 2.4g antenna yourself. I have the antenna coming out from one of the switch positions.

My Cockpit MM was doing nothing and so I decided to convert this too. I only did this a couple of days ago and went with the Frsky telemetry module and a 6-channel receiver. It required a little soldering inside the transmitter and a bit of surgery routing the antenna and switch but was quite east to do. Simply put, it works just as well as the Jeti conversion for a fraction of the cost.

The Jeti telemetry works well and is easy to use once you get a Jetibox attached to the transmitter. I don't use it all the time but it is a nice gimmick to play with and can be useful when setting up a model.

The Frsky telemetry is not so well developed yet but within a short period of time I'd expect there to be displays like the Jetibox available. However, when I was flying with the Frsky radio the other day it was reassuring to get feedback through beeps telling me when I was out of range on the range test. In flight I only got two beeps during a long slope flight indicating I was in range and getting a good signal at all times.

Bottom line is that I can wholeheartedly recommend both Jeti and Frsky and both will be easy to install yourself. I cannot say that the Jeti system is worth about 3-times the price of Frsky but it is a little bit nicer.

When I made the change to Jeti I ruled out Weatronic based on price. I don't know how expensive it is now. I ruled out XPS because it had a poor reputation then. I believe they have improved since.

Like Michal says, there are many other options.

Mike
Mike Seale is online now Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Old Aug 29, 2011, 08:22 PM
Australia, QLD, Kallangur
Joined Nov 2005
34 Posts
Multiplex P4000&Cockpit 2.4Gig Conversion

Would recommend the XPS products they where one of the first conversion systems to be offered to the market and have now become fully developed with the exception of telemetry. Do not be put off by all the sad stories of problems, most where caused by users. The company led by Jim Drew is proactive to users and the wider market. They have a life time warranty on their products, which means if you crash a model and damage the RX or if you burn it out by doing something stupid, just return it to them and it will be fixed, in most cases you receive a new replacement. You of cause have to pay shipping, but who else offers that sort of warranty?
I am currently using a MPX P4000 with XPS 2.4 module and can report as expected no problems. I to fly thermal gliders and use the MPX sailplane RX in an all carbon Eraser, flown to the limits of my eye sight with no problems, I do how ever mount the RX antenna externally, a lot of BS is made about diversity, but have come to the conclusion that in our application it comes down to quality of the hardware and the software running on it.
My experience is not just limited to the above as I have been using XPS for a number of years and in Jan this year as a result of a major car accident I lost 2 thermal gliders a Faser and Explorer both kitted out with XPS Sailplane rx's and an MPX Evo12 and Cockpit TX's both with XPS Modules. A very expensive loss, no insurance payout, but that's another story.
I note that you reside as I do here in Australia, and I would also recommend you look at Multiplex M-Link, they where slow to come to market with a 2.4Gig solution but now offer a complete solution and local support from David Leigh in SA
Take a look at the World Hobbies web site http://www.worldhobbies.com Based in Melbourne it's part of Model Engines

Best of luck,

Dave
WombatDave is offline Find More Posts by WombatDave
Old Aug 29, 2011, 08:52 PM
antipodean recalcitrant
Joined Feb 2004
3,171 Posts
Thanks Udo, Mike and Dave.

The impression I'm getting from your feedback and my own reading is that several of the 3rd party brands are basically fine and largely differ on price.

(I am have not looked into how they differ on telemetry features as it isn't a big concern for me right now, although perhaps it may prove useful in future.)

Given that MPX now has their own system and there is, as Dave points out, a local (interstate) service agent I am tempted to go with that option. I understand there is also an issue with current firmware making the sets incompatible with non-MPX modules?

Which M-Link modules should I be looking at? I can see that the "universal" option will work for the 4000 and the Cockpit but it appears to be externally mounted? I won't need to switch between 36Mhz and 2.4Ghz and would prefer an internal module, if that is possible.

Dave - Thanks for the tip re World Hobbies. I'd looked at that site before but to be honest the site did not inspire much confidence (no contact details, etc.) and I didn't realise it was run by M.E.

Anton
Old Aug 29, 2011, 09:13 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
If you are completely satisifed with your present transmitter, it will be worthwhile to convert it to 2.4.

Most likely, old transmitter is outdated. I had good glider transmitters but I replaced them with newer model because of lack of digital trim with memory.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:57 AM
Lewisville, TX
Joined Dec 2003
836 Posts
There are very, very, few, if any, radios even today that can even come close to an MC4000 . . . .

- Tim
tadawson is offline Find More Posts by tadawson
Old Aug 30, 2011, 01:18 AM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,339 Posts
By all means, look at XPS. I converted my Evo as soon as XPS announced the Evo module and have used it for three years without any problems and have never ever had a reboot or other problem. I have recently converted my backup Evo transmitter and an considering converting my Cockpit. Trouble is I have no real need for the Cockpit except that I love the feel and balance. I just wish the Evo feel and balance was that good. Whatever sysem you select for your conversion, be sure to pay special attention to the switches, wiring, batteries, ect. Over 90% of ALL reported problems for ALL 2.4 systems are power supply problems. Whether or not you wind up with XPS, use the XPS TattleTale voltage monitor.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Aug 30, 2011, 07:49 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2002
1,117 Posts
Anton, I've converted my MC3030 and MC4000 to both spectrum and jeti duplex. I prefer Jeti because of the telemetry and its robustness.

If I was doing things over again today, I might look at the M-Link option but you should compare the price of receivers for the different systems before deciding. As usual, mpx charge quite a premium....

Sometime in the next year I may well retire the 4000 and buy the new Jeti transmitters which should be released in the next month or so.

Geoff
Geoff_S is online now Find More Posts by Geoff_S
Old Sep 01, 2011, 01:29 AM
antipodean recalcitrant
Joined Feb 2004
3,171 Posts
Sorry to repeat the question but which internal M-Link module(s) should I be looking at?

I can see that the "universal" module is compatible with both the 4000 and the Cockpit but it appears to be externally mounted.

I don't need to switch between 36Mhz and 2.4Ghz.

Thanks
Old Sep 01, 2011, 05:18 PM
The Fens, Britain
Joined Nov 2005
276 Posts
Quote:
Sorry to repeat the question but which internal M-Link module(s) should I be looking at?
For the 4000 it would be the HFM3.
Breezy is offline Find More Posts by Breezy
Old Sep 01, 2011, 09:58 PM
antipodean recalcitrant
Joined Feb 2004
3,171 Posts
Thanks Breezy, I missed that when I checked the MPX website last time.

Does anyone know which one is suitable for the Cockpit SX?

Anton
Old Sep 02, 2011, 06:50 AM
Australia, QLD, Kallangur
Joined Nov 2005
34 Posts
Hi Anton,

Would suggest you have a chat with David Leigh MPX service provider 08 83322627, or send me a PM and I will reply with my phone number and then we can have a chat about how I went about changing over to 2.4Gig

Dave
WombatDave is offline Find More Posts by WombatDave