Water and trees! Very brave.
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:06 AM
3D Crazy
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Joined May 2010
796 Posts
If i build MR, i will go for MK or AeroQuad or maybe YS-X6. But for fixed wing, APM is the best in term of cos and simplicity. Just choose a normal airframe like Skywalker, download everything needed, copy SW PID's from the web, calibrate your tx with GCS, set your plane level, set your default home altitute, charge your batteries, check your battery location related to CofG, set flying mode (a bit tricky here, manual, stabilize, fly by wire A, fly by wire B, RTL and Auto - all my other AP is very simple, CC only 2 mode CIC and PIC, Ptreyx also 2 mode manual/auto and MK 4 mode manual/PH/CH/AH) and you ready for flying.

Upon arrived at flying field, on tx, connect battery, wait for GPS locked by looking at blue LED blinking under the GPS unit and you good to go. Once you in the air, you got all the flying mode except Auto.

It is really not difficult if you already have some experienced with other type of autopilot.
Meez is offline Find More Posts by Meez
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:15 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2012
1,292 Posts
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mortimer View Post
Water and trees! Very brave.
Haha. Around here, this is as wide open as it gets.
The stupid wind is brutal too.
cyberbillp is online now Find More Posts by cyberbillp
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:11 PM
United States, AK, McKinley Park
Joined Dec 2010
194 Posts
Anyone have any real world experience with operating these things in very cold temperatures? I'm talking -40. Also -10 to -30 are common where I live in the winter. I recently discovered that my Paris multiwii v4 r5 board(on a quadcopter) doesn't seem to like these temps and rather than get a new type of fly-it-yourself board it might be fun to dabble with a full autopilot. I definitely like the price of the ardupilot.

Anybody out there with real world experience on this topic?

By the way, straight up rc planes and my tricopter (with a KK v.1 board) seem to do just fine in these temps. Check out a couple of my videos from last winter. Winter is a great time to fly here as usually the air is quite still.
Flying an RC plane at 40 below zero, plus some fun science. (3 min 31 sec)

Happy Sun Dog New Year - Watch in HD! (1 min 48 sec)
MtnSnowFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MtnSnowFlyer
Last edited by MtnSnowFlyer; Nov 24, 2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:27 PM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,620 Posts
Not that cold here yet.

I was out flying my APM 2.0 the other day at around 0 or 5 above - It depended on which thermometer I was looking at.

My flight was brief only being about 10 minutes total. The APM was entirely exposed to the temperature and if you count the transit time from home to flight I would guess that my APM was outside at that temperature for about 30 minutes before I flew.

-Mike
Stone1295 is offline Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:38 PM
AMA 937634
Joined Jan 2010
1,620 Posts
Oh yeah, I should've mentioned that I didn't appear to have any problems.

I was testing out my new SkySurfer and my APM and servos worked well. I'll eventually place the APM into my Skywalker but I wanted something cheap and readily available in the US so I don't have to wait a month and pay a lot for the over seas shipping if something goes wrong.

I'll work my way up to longer flights eventually but this first, brief, flight was only to test some of the settings and the manual and stabilize modes. No waypoints or RTL tests on this flight.

-Mike
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:58 PM
Asker, Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
422 Posts
I did have a lot of flights with the flexipilot (as in pteryx and easyuav) last winter at temperatures between -15 and -25C, never noticed any difference. Except as mentioned, still and heavy air, (and stiff fingers).
brakar is offline Find More Posts by brakar
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:17 PM
United States, AK, McKinley Park
Joined Dec 2010
194 Posts
Thanks Mike! That's good to know. Hopefully it gets colder for you soon so you can do some testing for me.

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1295 View Post
Oh yeah, I should've mentioned that I didn't appear to have any problems.

I was testing out my new SkySurfer and my APM and servos worked well. I'll eventually place the APM into my Skywalker but I wanted something cheap and readily available in the US so I don't have to wait a month and pay a lot for the over seas shipping if something goes wrong.

I'll work my way up to longer flights eventually but this first, brief, flight was only to test some of the settings and the manual and stabilize modes. No waypoints or RTL tests on this flight.

-Mike
MtnSnowFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MtnSnowFlyer
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:00 PM
AMA 937634
Joined Jan 2010
1,620 Posts
Well -40 isn't too common this close to the ocean but we do typically have some -20 weeks in February or March.

It's hovering around 10 above at the moment and the wind is around 7mph so today would've been another good day for test flights but I got bogged down on work around the house.

-Mike
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:43 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,406 Posts
There are many consumer gyros that don't play well when it is cold. Not sure about the Wii stuff but I can say that any of the HobbyKing stand alone gyro's will not participate if it gets in the single digits (F)
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:43 AM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,062 Posts
Servos themselves often don't like extreme cold. Some have speculated that the grease inside can congeal at those low temperatures. I suspect that higher quality servos such as Futaba or Hitec won't be nearly as affected as cheaper brands. I say that because I personally have used both Futaba and Hitec servos on many projects over the years, and some were used extensively in the winter in MI. I don't remember tryingthem out in temps well below 0, but did quite a bit of RC activity around 5 degrees and never had a problem.
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:29 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2012
1,292 Posts
Nice video btw.
cyberbillp is online now Find More Posts by cyberbillp
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:45 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,940 Posts
RCTimer APM2.5

Has anyone had any problems with these? Are they just as good as the ones from 3DR? http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...2&productname=

Iím getting ready to make an order and would like some inputs.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:25 PM
Romania, IS, Iasi
Joined Nov 2008
620 Posts
I don't know if IKE1 has bought something but my recommendation is UAVDevBoard.

Great support, great community.

Here is my build log (pictures, videos):

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1610263
kempo is offline Find More Posts by kempo
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:56 PM
Chris Khosravi - KK4LJH
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2004
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Has anyone had any problems with these? Are they just as good as the ones from 3DR? http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...2&productname=

Iím getting ready to make an order and would like some inputs.

I have 4 of them and they work excellent. I can't compare these APM 2.5's with the real APM 2.5's but I used to have a real APM 1 and they perform better because of the better sensors on board.

- Chris
Khosravi is online now Find More Posts by Khosravi