SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:28 PM
Quad Smasher
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Feb 2012
224 Posts
I just maidened my Dynamic S yesterday. Although I am definitely a member of the left trim club I am pretty happy with it overall.

I think that I might be working out some of the trim problem on my plane. I noticed that my right wing bulges up a little near where the back screw goes in to hold the wing on. You could easily see that the two wing halves were not meeting up and the bulge in this area was affecting the trailing edge of my right wing for the first few inches (making it come up). I sanded down the fuse in this area, particularly where the plastic reinforcement on the underside of the wing comes down.

My first effort at sanding wasn't complete in that a slight bulge was still there. Test flights with this setup allowed me to move the left trim from 1/2 left trim to 1/4 left trim. I have since sanded this area so that it fits completely flush and both sides of the wing look nice and even. Hopefully I will get to test it again this afternoon as I am optimistic that I am on the right track.

My other planes are an Easystar, Calypso and Bonsai Wing. I have a MPX Blizzard built but haven't maidened it yet. IMO the Dynamic S is a pleasure to fly. To me it seems almost as forgiving as the Calypso and I like the extra speed. It also flips and rolls really nice, which is just what I was looking for. I have definitely overshot a landing or two but find it's manners really nice. My favorite is to glide in with a fair amount of speed and then turn fairly sharp to bleed off speed and slowly level the wings for final setdown.

And while I am a member of the left trim club (hopefully temporary) I am fortunate that my plane flys nice and level at both full power and glide. Seems like all of my batteries hit COG perfectly. I have been using zippy compact 2450, 2200 and 1500. The last seemed too light with the compact 2200 feeling just right.

I just wish that mine looked like Aerocowboy's!
DavidPDX is offline Find More Posts by DavidPDX
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:39 PM
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Jun 2012
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPDX View Post
I just wish that mine looked like Aerocowboy's!
Hah! Thanks.

If it makes you feel any better, I needed > 1/2 left trim. ;-) I can also see some deformation of the right wing in the way you describe. I'll have a try correcting it soon.

Congrats on the successful maiden.
Aerocowboy is offline Find More Posts by Aerocowboy
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:05 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,643 Posts
While looking at the wing, check that the wing tips are an equal distance from the surface/table. If the wing tips are damage, most of them are, trim them back just slightly first.

Level the assembled plane on a flat surface by raising the tail and supporting the tail with foam/blocks/whatever. Support the left and right sides of the fuse with blocks, be certain to not support the wings with these blocks. Now measure the distance from one wingtip to the surface of the table. Measure the other wingtip to surface distance. They should be the same. If not, then you should check how the wing is seated in the wing saddle.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:01 PM
Quad Smasher
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Feb 2012
224 Posts
Hi Obake - I have read through this entire thread and previously did the measurements you mention. Mine is perfect in this regard and the fuse is nice and straight. The only visible deformities on my plane are the mentioned "hump" I had in my wing and one of my rudder/elevator bits is deformed making it hard to decide if it is centered or not. They also did a terrible job putting the carbon reinforcement in resulting in it being very floppy.

I didn't get a chance to fly again today to test my final sanding job but I am very optimistic. Just getting it to 1/4 left trim made me satisfied so anything more I get will be a bonus. I am going to fly it like I stole it and think it will be a good trainer for me.

I have a HK Inertia / Wilco F5B and everything I need to build it but have been afraid to fly it.
DavidPDX is offline Find More Posts by DavidPDX
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:03 AM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,643 Posts
Hallo David ...... Wilco F5b = FAST. Very nice hotliner to have and the price is good on those. I have been thinking about the Adrianna, maybe one day.

Wilco F5B Hotliner (1 min 39 sec)

Check your V-tail setup like you did the wings. Also notice if the leading edge of V-tail is lower than trailing edge. Ideally the surface plane of the V-tail should parallel or be the same as the wing/wing saddle.

If the V-tail is not on correctly, as in leading edge too low and leaning to one direction or the other, then the plane will have a built in turn.

Also measure from left wing tip to some point on the tail, that distance should be the same as from the right wing tip to the same point on the tail.

On my plane there was a problem with the fit of the V-tail onto the fuselage. I had to do a bit of carving on the foam to get the assembly to fit correctly.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:10 PM
United States, CA, Isla Vista
Joined Dec 2012
27 Posts
Received Dynamic-S from HK last night ... wing tips cracked and bent as many of you have mentioned.

More disturbing is prop shaft arrived broken off. Anyone know how to replace this? I can't figure out how to take the prop cone apart to get at the metal piece. Thanks
Kipling is offline Find More Posts by Kipling
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:44 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,340 Posts
Remove spinner cone, two screws, will become obviousi looked closer, are the screws out already? If so should just clip apart, you will need to purchase a new prop adaptor
Shame, may have taken a hard knock in transit, make sure motor shaft isn't bent too
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Last edited by mustflynow2; Feb 10, 2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:31 PM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,978 Posts
I hope I don't upset too many of you in making this comment. My genuine ST Blaze has been performing well over quite a while without any problems whatsoever. Any minor damage to tips have been my own fault (hangar rash) and strengthened with glass tape. A little extra performance has come from changes to prop blades and, assuming I keep it in one piece, when the original motor does fail I know what motor I can put in to replace it.

What I'm saying is that many problems posted have come from those who own Dynamics. It may be a copy, clone or rip off but I don't know however I feel it is a bit unfair to lump any problems that may have occurred with the Dynamic as part of the Blaze thread. And, no, I'm not in the trade or work for ST.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:53 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hipperson View Post
I hope I don't upset too many of you in making this comment. My genuine ST Blaze has been performing well over quite a while without any problems whatsoever. Any minor damage to tips have been my own fault (hangar rash) and strengthened with glass tape. A little extra performance has come from changes to prop blades and, assuming I keep it in one piece, when the original motor does fail I know what motor I can put in to replace it.

What I'm saying is that many problems posted have come from those who own Dynamics. It may be a copy, clone or rip off but I don't know however I feel it is a bit unfair to lump any problems that may have occurred with the Dynamic as part of the Blaze thread. And, no, I'm not in the trade or work for ST.
Did your plane trim neutral David? is the airframe straight. And is a rubber cement used on the Blaze?
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:50 PM
Joined Dec 2012
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2 View Post
Remove spinner cone, two screws, will become obviousi looked closer, are the screws out already? If so should just clip apart, you will need to purchase a new prop adaptor
Shame, may have taken a hard knock in transit, make sure motor shaft isn't bent too
Thanks. Yes, took the screws out already ... spinner top still won't come off! Wonder if they glued it? Hmmmm ...
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:51 PM
Joined Dec 2012
27 Posts
Quote:

I was thinking similarly. Certainly after the Dynamic's multiple broken parts on arrival I would order the Blaze if I had a do-over.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:05 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
Received Dynamic-S from HK last night ... wing tips cracked and bent as many of you have mentioned.

More disturbing is prop shaft arrived broken off. Anyone know how to replace this? I can't figure out how to take the prop cone apart to get at the metal piece. Thanks
And I can't figure why you'd just accept this obvious warranty claim without contacting their (so-called) "customer service" dept. If for nothing else, you (& we all) just need more of the exquisite experience of dealing with that company's wonderful employees & policies!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:00 AM
Faster is Better
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2012
462 Posts
Quote:

Well... that's a fair statement. As a Dynamic-S owner, I've wondered why D-S discussion was lumped into the Blaze thread. I recognize how closely they are related, of course, but this gives the impression the two are identical... and they aren't in some significant ways. I love my D-S, and am happy to regale anyone with stories of its strengths and weaknesses (as well as my own abilities to fly it)... but this dual-identity can really be confusing sometimes -- especially to newcomers.

If any of you D-S owners are interested, there is a (relatively new) thread open... cleverly named "Durafly Dynamic-s discussion thread" http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1821606 that focuses more on our specific variant. Frankly, I think it would benefit *both* of these communities to separate into two groups.
OldeMan is offline Find More Posts by OldeMan
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:02 PM
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Jun 2010
94 Posts
Is this why they call it the "BLAZE" ? Lol...
Efishensea is offline Find More Posts by Efishensea
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:56 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,564 Posts
Good Grief! And is that your ESC mounted atop the wing, for cooling I'd presume? Looks LiPo -- what in the heck happened??
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member