HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,257 Posts
It is always hard to say which plane is best. I think the two planes are very comparable in flight stability and efficiency.

I think you need one of each or maybe two of each. Both planes fly great. they have a little different personality but once in the air most flyers couldn't tell the difference.

I really like the new Grim Reaper XL. It is easier to balance and a little thicker airfoil making it a little easier for battery installation. It doesn't have quite as much working area because it is a smaller plane than the Gladiator but if you keep it light you will have plenty of room.

The Gladiator XL is a great plane too. It has a dedicated following and some of the best videos have been shot with it. We actually sold out of them this month and had to get the production line going to keep up with orders. It is bigger and very low drag and higher penetration and possibly a little faster but like I said once in the air both planes are designed to be very stable at low speed and have a good range of speed depending on the motor.

One of my design priorities is something you may not have really considered. We have designed these planes to be stable at low speed with a load which is important when you launch. You don't hear people discussing how to build a bungee launcher so they can get their planes up to speed when discussing our planes. Having a plane that also can fly slow helps when you are landing. You can land in a smaller area without as much risk to the plane or equipment if you can land slower. Top speed depends on the motor setup but if you are going for long flights you will need to be conservative on the throttle for the best miles per amp. Our designs are efficient flyers when compared with similar sized planes of the same weight.

Lee

Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Yesterday at 12:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM
United States, CA, Manteca
Joined Mar 2013
828 Posts
Sounds good to me. I have only tried it once because someone here told me to but I have never lost any bearings. Except for one on my 3d plane these are all $17 motors so I don't care and I have done hundreds and hundreds of flights with no problems. I would use 3in1 lube just because i have it.
sr175 is offline Find More Posts by sr175
Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,257 Posts
I left the open back on the motor mount to give access to the bearings for lubrication.

I used to lubricate everything but started to get a greasy build up and dirt in the bearings. I had a couple of motors that I wonder if had premature demise because of the dirt and possible affect of the oil on the wire insulation and windings in the motor.

Moral of the story. Don't get too much oil in the motor. Repeated oiling starts to add up with a sticky residue.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fullbird View Post
If the center section is ok you might want to cut it off the wing tips. I cut my Reaper down from 55" to 42" without all that much trouble. (may it rest in peace or pieces. Lesson learned is put the shock cord back. Didn't survive a power on dive from high altitude--Pilot error.)
Airframe is still fine minus all the cutouts where my gear use to be. Thinking of a straight flying wing then maybe add some FPV stuff. Long range for me, living where I do currently, isn't safe any longer given the airtraffic.
Mike Freas is online now Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods